Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Subscription

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m just here to watch people keep complaining as the price goes up and they could’ve had it thousands of dollars ago.

Oh and how’s that $15/month subscription price this year looking? ;)

A $10K FSD purchase price is not reasonable to the vast majority of consumers, no matter how much you want to convince people they are missing out by dropping thousands of dollars on a product that is still in beta and still feature incomplete. The beta looks awesome and very promising, but it's over 25% of the price of a Model 3 SR+ at $10K. The product still has years of development to go, yet you can't transfer your FSD purchase to another car should you choose to upgrade. I don't think anyone is expecting a $15/month subscription price, but we know it's coming, and it should be reasonably priced.

People were laughing at Elon saying FSD would be worth $100k. Maybe all this time he's been referring to the price of an FSD subscription over the life of the car. Assuming the Roadrunner cells would enable a 20 year useful life for the vehicle:

$100 * 52 weeks per year * 20 years = $104,000

I wouldn't be surprised if, when FSD is released publicly, we get tweet from Elon saying "Last chance to own FSD, starting January 1, 2021 FSD will be available via subscription only."

Reactions: Phlier and SlimJim
I don't think anyone is expecting a $15/month subscription price, but we know it's coming, and it should be reasonably priced.

POLL: What would you pay for a monthly FSD subscription? : teslamotors

This was posted in this thread, page 6.

I’ve been screaming since $7k FSD that the economics make ZERO sense for Tesla to offer a cheap subscription. (Won’t repost, you can read the thread)

Elon is dedicated to getting EV’s on the road. Autonomy is a luxury.

I don't think anyone is expecting a $15/month subscription price, but we know it's coming, and it should be reasonably priced.

Most people think that things should be “priced reasonably”, but reasonably for whom?

“Low-priced reasonably” for those who choose to not purchase FSD-capability?

“High-priced reasonably” so that those who did purchased FSD-capability continue to believe that they got value for their money?

“High-priced reasonably” so that prospective purchasers will still see value in purchasing FSD-capability, generating lump-sum revenues for Tesla?

“High-priced reasonably” so that Tesla will generate lump-sum revenues from selling FSD-capability and cash flow from renting FSD-capability?

I personally believe increasing the price is a last ditch effort to get people in at $8K. They are not going to sell many FSD add ons at $10K. By teasing the price increase they will get some to jump on the $8K price right before they do a subscription variant. Even if they get 1,000 people to jump on the $8K price because of the increase, that is 1,000 people that were pushed over the edge by the increase. It also makes early adopters feel good about jumping in at $5K.

It is seriously going to have to be an insane subscription price for that to not make sense for 99% of people. I also wouldn't be surprised if they add some tier that allows people who paid outright to pay a monthly fee to allow it to now follow the user and not the car. Eg, $150/month subscription, but if you already paid for FSD for $50/month it will now be "yours" instead of tied to the car.

I agree with you that the full purchase price is not reasonable. But I don't understand why you think that the subscription would be more reasonable. it would make no sense for Tesla to offer a subscription that's cheaper than the full purchase.

Because people would be paying monthly instead of a lump sum, so it improves affordability considerably even if the same amount of money is spent. Also, a subscription plan by its nature would allow people to upgrade to a new Tesla without their FSD being attached to the car. If contract period requirements are implemented in the subscription, I'd imagine it would be for a few months to a year, so it mitigates loss in that situation instead of losing potentially $10K. Subscriptions also makes tiered pricing more attractive if they decide to do that.

It’s starting to feel like Groundhog Day in here...

Maybe the next price increase will make it “worth” it, lol.

Enjoy making the same illogical arguments again. If you’re not sure what to say next, go back to the beginning of this thread and copy/paste.

Autonomy should never be a luxury! It should be for the greater good of drivers and their safety. So the price of a Netflix subscription sounds reasonable and would have people engaged for the life of their car making more money overall than trying to constantly up the price and grab a lower percentage. Think of 99% of the fleet with FSD rather than a select few. Think of it as something you could carry with you to every Tesla you borrow, drive, or rent? You would sell more cars as they would be better value for money than the competition. Wouldn't this be a better safer world?

• Love my FSD package. Once street turns is out in wide release, even more so.
  • Drive 2 miles to work. Been on work from home since Feb. not going back till sometime next year.
  • Only plan to keep my 3 for 3-4 years.
  • Not a multimillionaire. Not even close.

Reactions: CertLive
Autonomy should never be a luxury! It should be for the greater good of drivers and their safety. So the price of a Netflix subscription sounds reasonable and would have people engaged for the life of their car making more money overall than trying to constantly up the price and grab a lower percentage. Think of 99% of the fleet with FSD rather than a select few. Think of it as something you could carry with you to every Tesla you borrow, drive, or rent? You would sell more cars as they would be better value for money than the competition. Wouldn't this be a better safer world?

Tesla already sells more cars than they can build.

Also developing autonomy is very expensive.

I mean- just giving everyone with an old unsafe car a free Tesla also "improves safety" but you can see how silly that suggestion is, right?

I do expect the re-write to legitimately improve basic (free) safety features on HW3 cars like emergency braking and side collision avoidance though.

But if you want FSD you'll need to pay for it- and a lot more than you do for Netflix.

There are lots of people here who want to have it every which way, with a background chorus of "it it can't self-drive my kids to school in downtown Cairo in a sandstorm it's totally worthless", "Elon lied", "I don't need it", and "it will never happen".

Now all of a sudden the amazing beta clips are waking y'all up, and it's more of the "I want it for free or only on the days I want it, for $1 a day". That's not going to happen. Subscription makes sense as a way to finance the purchase.

But meanwhile the competition is panic'ing, and shouting it's impossible, and it's also very very dangerous and they're leaning on the regulators - NTSB have already announced "we stand ready to protect The Public". Welcome to insanity.

Last edited:
Tesla already sells more cars than they can build.

Also developing autonomy is very expensive.

I mean- just giving everyone with an old unsafe car a free Tesla also "improves safety" but you can see how silly that suggestion is, right?

I do expect the re-write to legitimately improve basic (free) safety features on HW3 cars like emergency braking and side collision avoidance though.

But if you want FSD you'll need to pay for it- and a lot more than you do for Netflix.

Knightshade you are slipping up lately.... I did not say give them a free Tesla that is your own imagination. If you make features the car already has active and cheaper via subscription then you will have more sales and more money coming in and a happier overall customer base. Tesla are about to be hit by a VW train in 2021 and now would be a good time to stop over charging.. what a pun! Stop overcharging their beta testers for features that do not work and may not work with the current hardware. Makes just as much money via mass uptake.

• Funny
Reactions: DrtyJrze
Knightshade you are slipping up lately.... I did not say give them a free Tesla that is your own imagination. If you make features the car already has active and cheaper via subscription then you will have more sales and more money coming in and a happier overall customer base. Tesla are about to be hit by a VW train in 2021 and now would be a good time to stop over charging.. what a pun! Stop overcharging their beta testers for features that do not work and may not work with the current hardware. Makes just as much money via mass uptake.

To build on this, I am pretty sure Tesla would prefer a million FSD subscribers than 50,000 people paying $10K. They will target a much larger audience if priced right, and also get more user data.