Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fsd subscription

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You won't get FSD Beta access until the NHTSA recall is satisfied and Tesla is allowed to release the code again. In the meantime, you will get access to EAP functions and Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control. You will later get FSD Beta access once it's released from the recall.

Reactions: DrGriz
You won't get FSD Beta access until the NHTSA recall is satisfied and Tesla is allowed to release the code again. In the meantime, you will get access to EAP functions and Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control. You will later get FSD Beta access once it's released from the recall.

that could take months.. NHTSA is slow......

What cgell said is critical to understand or you'll waste $200 again in the future. I'm on 2023.2.12 and I have to hold off on installing any new updates until the FSD version goes past 2023.2.12. The latest FSD release is 2022.45.11.

Reactions: 3rror
What cgell said is critical to understand or you'll waste $200 again in the future. I'm on 2023.2.12 and I have to hold off on installing any new updates until the FSD version goes past 2023.2.12. The latest FSD release is 2022.45.11.
Yeah I get it, my wife saw v.11 and pulled the trigger on the update, WRONG update. It was 2023.x.x

Tesla has said that 11.3.2 (2022.45.11) addresses the recall issues. The problem for most people waiting for FSDb now is that they are likely on a software version that is past that already. So you would have to wait until FSDb is in a newer release if that's the case.

Yeah I get it, my wife saw v.11 and pulled the trigger on the update, WRONG update. It was 2023.x.x

I'm excited to pickup my car next week. Are you saying I need to wait until the FSDb version passes the FSD version that's currently installed before I sign up for the subscription? Only then I should begin the subscription to try out version 11.X?

If I understand this advice, is there a way to look up how many updates that would take? ETA aside.... just looking for the # of versions.

yeah - if you're on 2023.<anything> you will have a long wait to get FSDb now.
Really the only way to maximize chances of getting FSDb is to keep refusing updates until the FSD base release catches up to the release you're on.
That could be weeks but could also be months.
The only time they have been together was late last year, but that only lasted a few days before they diverged again.
If its any consolation, 60-70% of the fleet is in the same situation - sorry.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
I'm excited to pickup my car next week. Are you saying I need to wait until the FSDb version passes the FSD version that's currently installed before I sign up for the subscription? Only then I should begin the subscription to try out version 11.X?

If I understand this advice, is there a way to look up how many updates that would take? ETA aside.... just looking for the # of versions.
Correct, and no one knows how many versions or how long before FSDb surpasses your current build.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
Can someone explain a few things to a newbie that just got their car this week (non-uss build)?

I am on 2023.6.9 that just updated the Tesla vision park assist.
I also have EAP included with my purchase.
I am interested in the FSD subscription for $99/month as I currently don’t have summon or other EAP features that I purchased.

Can I (and should I) subscribe to FSD now? If not now, when would be a good time?
Does FSD work for non-uss builds?
What version do you get if the beta is not available?

I don’t want to subscribe and it not work with my build or provide additional functionality like summon and actual full self-driving capabilities that are worth it.

Can someone explain a few things to a newbie that just got their car this week (non-uss build)?

I am on 2023.6.9 that just updated the Tesla vision park assist.
I also have EAP included with my purchase.
I am interested in the FSD subscription for $99/month as I currently don’t have summon or other EAP features that I purchased.

Can I (and should I) subscribe to FSD now? If not now, when would be a good time?
Does FSD work for non-uss builds?
What version do you get if the beta is not available?

I don’t want to subscribe and it not work with my build or provide additional functionality like summon and actual full self-driving capabilities that are worth it.
Don't waste your money. Wait until the FSD beta software version is newer than 2023.6.9. Tesla DOES NOT push lower version numbers to cars.

While you are waiting, do not install any new updates. If you succumb to the siren song of the latest update, you likely will always be newer than FSD beta and will never get it - at least not until Tesla merges FSD beta into the production software branch. And nobody knows when that might happen.

So let me see if I understand.

Because i have a newer version installed (2023.6.9), I can't use FSD even though its available on my car to subscribe right now (or will it just downgrade my version during the update process)? What would happen if I subscribed...does it downgrade my current version (even below FSD v11)?

My other question was "Does FSD work for non-uss builds?" - so even when FSD is no longer in beta and I subscribe, I assume it works with non-uss builds? Anyone using FSD right now that has a non-uss build?

This is very confusing and not easily found when searching online. My concern is if I subscribe to FSD I would get less than what I have now due to the downgrade and lack of ultrasonic sensors. My hope was to get smart summon (which was part of EAP that I paid for), but assume if it is not avaialbe on EAP than it is not available on FSD either. So probably best to wait, just trying to understand the process as there is no details available how this works and who it works for.

So let me see if I understand.

Because i have a newer version installed (2023.6.9), I can't use FSD even though its available on my car to subscribe right now (or will it just downgrade my version during the update process)? What would happen if I subscribed...does it downgrade my current version (even below FSD v11)?
You can subscribe to and receive FSD = "Full Self-Driving capability". This means you will get all available released features for your car.
Mainly, you will be able to activate navigate on autopilot on the highway, and on non-highway streets you will have Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control, meaning the car will more or less smoothly stop and go in response to those controls, but if not following a lead car you will have to confirm green light passage by tapping the stalk.​
However, at the moment you will not be able to request the thing most people really want, which is "FSD beta".
That is the big feature that will navigate around town for you, make turns and change lanes to follow the route, and does not require confirmation to proceed through green lights. Still requires supervision, but on a good day and a good route will basically do all the driving with you lightly holding the wheel and being ready to intervene if needed.​
The reason you can't get FSD beta aka FSDb it's because you're on 2023.6.x, and no there is basically no practical way to downgrade to the latest build containing FSDb, which is 2022.45.x. hopefully this will change soon, but historically you can be perpetually and frustratingly ahead of the FSDb builds, if you continue to allow updates to be installed on your car. The best advice is for you to avoid installation of downloaded software and wait for the FSDb build version to attain a version slightly higher than yours. I believe that if you subscribe and request FSD beta, the car will stop trying to download unhelpful new versions - but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Subscribing now also means that you will be charged for the non-beta FSD subscription as long as you are waiting. So you have to decide if the non-beta FSD is worth it for you. I bought FSD outright and I don't regret it, and I happily used it before finally requesting the beta in December. But I'm trying to be clear, and there are plenty of people here who ridicule the idea of spending any money without at least receiving FSD bbeta (and plenty more who ridicule the idea of spending any FSD money period).
My other question was "Does FSD work for non-uss builds?" - so even when FSD is no longer in beta and I subscribe, I assume it works with non-uss builds? Anyone using FSD right now that has a non-uss build?
Your non-USS car will have the primary FSD features I described above, for highway and treet driving.
Here's an interesting point, again applicable for the time being as we wait for FSD beta to catch up to your build:
2023.6.x, running on non USS cars, is the only combination that actually implements the first taste of camera based parking assistance. So at this moment, you should have camera based distances that mimic the old USS based distances. But if you were to magically downgrade and get the FSD beta, you would actually lose that because the 2022 builds, even on non USS cars, don't have that working at all.
This is very confusing and not easily found when searching online. My concern is if I subscribe to FSD I would get less than what I have now due to the downgrade and lack of ultrasonic sensors.
I don't think you will actually lose the camera parking-assist functionality, such as it is at the moment, if you subscribe to FSD now. That's because, again, you will not actually get FSD beta right away, and you will not be downgraded to the version that has FSD beta but doesn't have parking assist. You will gain the non-beta features of FSD that I described in the first paragraph, and you can request FSD beta, but it won't come along until Tesla catches up the version as I mentioned. When they do catch it up and you finally receive FSD beta, I'm pretty sure you will not lose the parking assist functionality, because that's part of the builds going forward for you.
My hope was to get smart summon (which was part of EAP that I paid for), but assume if it is not avaialbe on EAP than it is not available on FSD either. So probably best to wait, just trying to understand the process as there is no details available how this works and who it works for.
Smart Summon is also an FSD/EAP non-beta feature, on USS cars only at this time. However, it's almost universally regarded, even by Elon, as a cute and somewhat risky demonstration adventure ("party trick"). You can find a few people, including a couple of YouTubers, who say they use it quite often, but that's more the exception.

What we are all waiting for is what Elon has already called Actually Smart Summon (you figure out the acronym). When it arrives under whatever official feature name, there's a very good chance that it will use cameras only, because that's the development imperative going forward. It seems very unlikely, but not impossible, that USS-equipped cars will work any differently or any better with Actual slSmart Summon.

Summary: you can't have Smart summon because it needs USS. You probably shouldn't care because almost no one else does, and something much better is supposed to be coming for everyone.

Reactions: brkaus and KArnold
Thank you so much for that explanation and insight to the process. I am not disappointed that I purchased EAP as it will be cheaper to subscribe to FSD when its ready and I am really looking forward to it. But was hoping to get my hands on a few features now if possible...but I will wait. BTW, the Tesla vision/park assist works great so far for me.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
Thank you so much for that explanation and insight to the process. I am not disappointed that I purchased EAP as it will be cheaper to subscribe to FSD when its ready and I am really looking forward to it. But was hoping to get my hands on a few features now if possible...but I will wait. BTW, the Tesla vision/park assist works great so far for me.
FWIW, I have FSDb now in both my Model S and my wife’s Model 3. I’ve ordered a new Model S with EAP, and will subscribe to FSD when I need it or it becomes worthwhile. I’ll still have access to the Beta in my wife’s car, but I don’t think the Beta justifies the cost of the FSD option. Even if you want FSDb right away, at the current subscription price you would have to keep the car for 90 months before paying more than the current $9,000 premium for FSD.

What's the updated situation here? Have a 2018 Model 3 with EAP, HW3, and currently on SW ver 2023.6.8.
I would like to subscribe to FSD, but only if it gets me FSD Beta in the next two weeks. I already have EAP so NoA, summon, etc.

Also, where are we on safety scores? While I have never had a safety score, if I ever did have one it will be atrocious since I track my car fairly often, so I'd expect it to be something like 10.

I'm not going to waste my $100 just so I can press a request button and then wait for a month and get nothing just so I can fight with Tesla over a refund they will inevitably deny.

What's the updated situation here? Have a 2018 Model 3 with EAP, HW3, and currently on SW ver 2023.6.8.
I would like to subscribe to FSD, but only if it gets me FSD Beta in the next two weeks. I already have EAP so NoA, summon, etc.

Also, where are we on safety scores? While I have never had a safety score, if I ever did have one it will be atrocious since I track my car fairly often, so I'd expect it to be something like 10.

I'm not going to waste my $100 just so I can press a request button and then wait for a month and get nothing just so I can fight with Tesla over a refund they will inevitably deny.
Since you're on 2023.6.8, virtually no chance you'll get Beta within the next 2 weeks, FSDb is still on 2022.45.xx.

Don’t waste the money. You will not get beta within 2 weeks if you subscribe now.

If you are interested in beta then do not update your software until beta version is newer than your car version. Even then, wait a couple weeks after it’s been confirmed in wide release, then subscribe, then request beta.

• Informative
Reactions: gearchruncher