Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD V12 Elon Demo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gives you an appreciation for the production value from every FSD YouTuber, that was painful to watch!

The software looked impressive though, taking it at face value. Considering it’s an internal only, complete rewrite build I think it’s premature to start counting interventions just yet, the fact that it works at all is pretty encouraging.

One question I have about this methodology though - does this mean they need to train on video from every driving jurisdiction out there? As I understand it you have states where turn on red is default ok but there are signposted exceptions and states that are the reverse. How does the end-to-end AI handle that?

And what about larger generalisations like if they introduce it here in the UK? Presumably they have to train it completely from scratch again?

Reactions: APotatoGod
So far only watched 3 minutes so riddle me this. The richest person in the world who employs the brightest engineers, has production people on staff at Tesla & MySpace, has access to the latest greatest and most expensive technology and equipment but produces a poorer quality video than a 6th grader on a camping trip.

At least he has enough sense to figure out that horizontal/landscape offers more information (video field) than vertical/portrait.

What the hell is up with such a low rate NON production was that? It is painful to watch and the quality is garbage.

EDIT: Now I see they keep flipping the cell phone which is nauseating. Here is a lesson for all the people that fail a video recording by holding vertical/ portrait.

Vertical Video.jpg

Last edited:
If the visibility was this poor then I am impressed. 🤣 So far kinda ½ watching because it is sooooooo poor quality but there hasn't been any tough inner-city driving. The roads it is driving on look fairly easy and 11.4.4 generally handles them for me. It is in the city center congestion and tight streets with VRU's all around that Beta struggles more with. At least for me.

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 5.47.13 AM.png

So far the route seems pretty simple. I am not seeing any super complex edge cases. It is basically suburban driving. Having said that, the driving looks very smooth. It is handling roundabouts, pedestrians etc really well. Elon keeps reiterating that they did no hardcoding, V12 is inferring how to drive this new route based on the video training.

Yeah, and the Paint It Black video wasn't staged 😂

What the hell is up with such a low rate NON production was that? It is painful to watch and the quality is garbage.
If it was slickly produced then people would just claim it was staged. They probably still will anyway.

Hopefully it will get out to some of the YouTubers fairly soon and they can do more thorough testing with better video setups.

So, did y'all catch Elon's recent live stream on the latest Full Self Drive (FSD) version 12? Oh boy, that was something else! If you haven't, here's the gist:

This new FSD? It doesn't even operate on traditional code anymore! 😲 Yep, you heard me. There's not a single line of code telling the car what a traffic light is or how it works. Instead, the whole thing runs on a neural network that’s been trained with tons of driving scenarios. Basically, it's like the car's been watching us drive and is now saying, "Okay, humans, I got this!" 🚗💨

There was just ONE intervention during the stream - and it had to do with a funky traffic light scenario where left-turning vehicles got the green, but the straight path was still red. It’s kinda mind-boggling to think that the car is making decisions not based on hard-coded logic, but by just observing how us humans handle things.

And here's the kicker: Elon stressed that future tweaks won’t involve rewriting code. Instead, they’ll adjust the "weights" of decisions. It's like tuning the instincts of the car! They'll use data from moments when drivers disengage the FSD to refine these instincts. Plus, they’re gonna be learning from regular cars too, especially ones that sadly face accidents, to figure out escape routes from those risky situations.

In short, FSD v12 is like having a super observant friend in the driver's seat. With every update, it's just getting more and more human-like in its decisions. And as someone who's obsessed with tech, that's just pure awesomeness!

So, who else is psyched about what's next for FSD? 🙌

Peace out and safe driving! 🚗🌟

Elon's live stream on X:

So far only watched 3 minutes so riddle me this. The richest person in the world who employs the brightest engineers, has production people on staff at Tesla & MySpace, has access to the latest greatest and most expensive technology and equipment but produces a poorer quality video than a 6th grader on a camping trip.

At least he has enough sense to figure out that horizontal/landscape offers more information (video field) than vertical/portrait.

EDIT: Now I see they keep flipping the cell phone which is nauseating. Here is a lesson for all the people that fail a video recording by holding vertical/ portrait.

View attachment 968357
Complaining for the sake of complaining? The guy took an hour break out of a 20 hour work day to do a random drive to appease requests. No he didn’t have Spielberg as his copilot but does it Really matter? I thought the drive went very well and answered Many of the questions many here speculate at nauseam. Went through random construction, confirmed all could be done on HW3, read parking lots, and did so with 1/20th of the code previously used so plenty of room to expand. Also impressed (as a previous poster inquired) that they are currently testing this vision on the fly in dozens of locations around the world so it wont remain a US only toy. Overall I personally am very impressed with this new direction and greater hope that they are now on the right path to solve this never before solved problem without making the car look like a Wamo clown car of cameras!

Complaining for the sake of complaining? The guy took an hour break out of a 20 hour work day to do a random drive to appease requests. No he didn’t have Spielberg as his copilot but does it Really matter? I thought the drive went very well and answered Many of the questions many here speculate at nauseam. Went through random construction, confirmed all could be done on HW3, read parking lots, and did so with 1/20th of the code previously used so plenty of room to expand. Also impressed (as a previous poster inquired) that they are currently testing this vision on the fly in dozens of locations around the world so it wont remain a US only toy. Overall I personally am very impressed with this new direction and greater hope that they are now on the right path to solve this never before solved problem without making the car look like a Wamo clown car of cameras!
Agree
Christmas Is coming guys/aka holiday release
Let’s hope Tesla delivers with this rewrite, a globally usable FSD, help our UK brethren, that will be the glide path to an addictive automated driving experience

Give Elon a break, how many CEOs would do a live demo of a paint wet product? Holding the camera himself
Very risky
Funny how Farley is coping this path with his recent drive

Complaining for the sake of complaining? The guy took an hour break out of a 20 hour work day to do a random drive to appease requests. No he didn’t have Spielberg as his copilot but does it Really matter? .....
He could have easily just said "I need a car setup to record a drive on V12 for a live stream". There would have been a team prepping and testing video equipment and have it all set in the car and ready to go. So no more work for Elon other than just saying "get it done".

And yes he COULD have hired Spielberg if he wanted to. 🤔 🤣

• Funny
He could have easily just said "I need a car setup to record a drive on V12 for a live stream". There would have been a team prepping and testing video equipment and have it all set in the car and ready to go. So no more work for Elon other than just saying "get it done".

And yes he COULD have hired Spielberg if he wanted to. 🤔 🤣
But that’s the point. He didn’t prepare for Any of it which is what we wanted to minimize many of the Other staged complaint conspiracies.

Last edited:
Gives you an appreciation for the production value from every FSD YouTuber, that was painful to watch!

The software looked impressive though, taking it at face value. Considering it’s an internal only, complete rewrite build I think it’s premature to start counting interventions just yet, the fact that it works at all is pretty encouraging.

One question I have about this methodology though - does this mean they need to train on video from every driving jurisdiction out there? As I understand it you have states where turn on red is default ok but there are signposted exceptions and states that are the reverse. How does the end-to-end AI handle that?

And what about larger generalisations like if they introduce it here in the UK? Presumably they have to train it completely from scratch again?
Yeah the data would need to be built up and the vehicle will need to know what data to use in what jurisdiction.

I would guess training data will also need to be built up for different seasons within jurisdictions, winter roads look very different from summer roads and people behave differently.

I’m unsure how this approach would address changing road conditions, like construction or closed lanes and such.

We’ll see where this leads but it mostly feels like more of the same to me, and I’m not sure what training data they’re using where people are driving straight through an intersection on a left turn light.

Yeah the data would need to be built up and the vehicle will need to know what data to use in what jurisdiction.

I would guess training data will also need to be built up for different seasons within jurisdictions, winter roads look very different from summer roads and people behave differently.

I’m unsure how this approach would address changing road conditions, like construction or closed lanes and such.

We’ll see where this leads but it mostly feels like more of the same to me, and I’m not sure what training data they’re using where people are driving straight through an intersection on a left turn light.
They did go through a random road construction which seemed without issue in the video. They also discussed random weather condition considerations also.

They did go through a random road construction which seemed without issue in the video. They also discussed random weather condition considerations also.
FSD handled some construction in recent builds, and it has long had a history of sometimes mistaking turn lights for green lights controlling its lane at larger more complex intersections.

Will be great to see how much this accelerates development bringing Tesla closer to taking ownership of the driving task and unlocking robotaxis

View attachment 968357
I think he sometimes rotated to vertical when he was trying to read viewer comments/questions but it was very poorly done, unsafe and illegal given driver distractions.