Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve commented on this issue for many builds, but it’s now worse than ever on 12.xx.. the OFFSET from center, used to be ~ 18” from center, and 12” from RIGHT line, now it’s more like 24” from center left and 6” from right line. Only gotten worse and makes for quite risky driving when that right side is a bike or pedestrian - let alone parking shoulder. Here is a pic of the issue, this is a 1 mile stretch from my downtown, and the car doesn’t get any/much closer to the center - it just locks in like this.

I’ve tried resetting and re-calibrating cameras. I’m not sure why if ANYTHING service could/would do to correct what clearly seems to be an issue - and I’ve seen reports that others have something similar - but not all. Frankly, this should NOT be an issue, this seems like it really should be something that calibration, vision, whatever should be able to calibrate and orchestrate to vehicle to vehicle SAME vehicle experience and predictability should be SAME SAME., but clearly, it’s not.
FREEDOM!!!!!… here are the images for this post… endlich!

IMG_0122.jpeg
IMG_0121.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh thats not good from me then lol, FSD still makes me nervous so I disengage even if I think it’s about to do something slightly wrong

I disengaged yesterday just because it touched the center line in the road
I always add a voice note to disengagement. Over time by learning how FSD works you should be able to reduce your disengagements. A lot depends on how patient you are and by not disengaging will you negatively affect cars around you. Usually FSD will correct itself but not always. The exception for me was yesterday when FSD literally started to swerve off the road and I had to jerk the wheel to the left to stay on the road.

Now this was scary. (previous video post)

In my experience, when there is a bike, or a pedestrian, or a landscape worker FSD moves the car to the left.
In v12.2.1, the car is more centered.
Well of course it does, but when it’s travelling so far to the right, it’s often an endless ping ponging weaving left then right, then left then right. I’m not really sure WHY it wants to try and hug the right side of a marked lane so much. As I’ve said, I’ve seen this pretty much from the getgo ~ 2 years ago? Or is it 1.5? I can’t explain it but what concerns me MOST is why does THIS car think it needs to do this, or that this is correct? Does anyone else see this much offset?

Reactions: rlsd
Well of course it does, but when it’s travelling so far to the right, it’s often an endless ping ponging weaving left then right, then left then right. I’m not really sure WHY it wants to try and hug the right side of a marked lane so much. As I’ve said, I’ve seen this pretty much from the getgo ~ 2 years ago? Or is it 1.5? I can’t explain it but what concerns me MOST is why does THIS car think it needs to do this, or that this is correct? Does anyone else see this much offset?
I agree. It needs to be changed. FSD tries to stay away from the cars on the left or the right lane but it's overdone.

Not arguing too hard with the ‘Nobody knows’ part.

But given the existence of non-speaker dependent voice to text tech, I’ve always had the idea that one ends up with a searchable database of comments. The better to track down specific problems, don’t you know.

Of course, such a database can be corrupted by people who fill it up with expletives. Or disengage when nothing is actually happening, just to waste Tesla’s time. But that why lots of data helps.
We have speculated about this in the past. Lots of things are possible - including masking expletives automatically. We don't know what Tesla does - I have this mental image of the team being super stressed and short of people constantly. So, who knows what they have actually implemented ...

Hello, for those with 2024 code and wanting to test v12, start your subscription and seems Tesla will move you to 2023
My brother has a new MYLR with the free three months of FSD and has v12.3
That is NOT possible. You can't go backwards on the software. You brother could NOT have had 24.xx.xx software and got FSD 12.3. He had to have 23.44.30xx or earlier. Must have been an inventory car produced a few months ago and had 23.44.xxx software.

Reactions: cyborgLIS
All I know is FSD doesn't move away from cyclists and pedestrians as much as most cars do. V12.3 is a little better though. In Massachusetts it's state law to be at least 4 feet away.

All I know is that the other day FSD swung my Tesla so far to the left to avoid someone getting out of their parked car that my car would've hit another car in the opposing traffic had I not taken over the wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: aronth5 and tivoboy
What you describe I have never seen. As you feel this is ongoing for years you really should consider a fresh camera calibration on a multi lane highway. Or a service visit for your cameras.

Reactions: APotatoGod
What you describe I have never seen. As you feel this is ongoing for years you really should consider a fresh camera calibration on a multi lane highway. Or a service visit for your cameras.
Yes, I’ve done the camera calibration several times. It’s in the process doing it with this build now. I just find it funny that the car nor FSD has enough calibration to correct for this or indicate that its calibration is not consistent with the set standard.

Reactions: Ramphex
Well of course it does, but when it’s travelling so far to the right, it’s often an endless ping ponging weaving left then right, then left then right. I’m not really sure WHY it wants to try and hug the right side of a marked lane so much.
On my drives on a two lane road with a double yellow, the car will bias away from oncoming traffic until the right wheel is on the line. When the cars have passed, it will bias back towards the center.

I think this is like auto speed. Call it auto bias. It's the network picking a position in the lane based on circumstances. I hate it because it's always biasing this way or that. The car clearly needs to "bias" away from open doors, parking cars and so on, but I really don't want the wobble crap. Just stay in the middle of the lane unless there's a real need to move one way or another.

On my drives on a two lane road with a double yellow, the car will bias away from oncoming traffic until the right wheel is on the line. When the cars have passed, it will bias back towards the center.

I think this is like auto speed. Call it auto bias. It's the network picking a position in the lane based on circumstances. I hate it because it's always biasing this way or that. The car clearly needs to "bias" away from open doors, parking cars and so on, but I really don't want the wobble crap. Just stay in the middle of the lane unless there's a real need to move one way or another.
Okay so I’m not alone on the car riding the center line with the passenger side tires, good to know

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Tesla CEO Elon Musk has sent out an email early this morning requiring Tesla employees to give a supervised demo drive of FSD Beta 12 to every person who takes delivery of a Tesla

Supposed email sent out to Tesla employees to demo fsd to all owners taking delivery of a Tesla. If this is true, I suspect take rate of FSD to increase

Elon Musk is putting all his FSD eggs in the one v12.3 basket!

Elon Musk is putting all his FSD eggs in the one v12.3 basket!
Terrible idea. 12.3 is good, but it’s not that good. Once non-Tesla people realize that the car is watching them watching it drive, and complains as much as a wife or a mother in law, some might be rather disappointed. Even holding up a phone to record FSD driving starts throwing a wife-type fit and possibly issue a strike.

Speaking of…. I still have a strike that I got for unknown reason that lingered from v11 to v12. Aren’t those supposed to expire after a week now? Or is it just the FSD jail for a week after too many strike outs? Can’t keep up with the games.