Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD vs. AP latest updates compared.. Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for your opinions everyone. 6 months ago I was dead set on FSD just for the "party trick" type aspect of it. But now I am seriously leaning towards cancelling it and using that money to pay off the car sooner. Maybe I'll get it later when it offers more or if it gets a price break.

I wanted it so bad so I made sure that I reserved it on my Y order in October at $6k. I was so excited because I told myself it was definitely worth $6K right, especially now that it's already $7K!? I said screw the P model and let's just get this FSD!

However the more and more I thought about it, I really was wondering what is this money going to right NOW. If Elon had made true on his promises each time about how he will have it this month, then this feature this month, then end of the year...Now we are at "a few more months." I just cannot justify not knowing when it will really even come out with the next step of city driving. If I couldnt buy it after, I probably would've held on to it, but since its an aftermarket thing, I said what am I really gonna miss? The 1K savings of nothing thus far?

Thanks for your opinions everyone. 6 months ago I was dead set on FSD just for the "party trick" type aspect of it. But now I am seriously leaning towards cancelling it and using that money to pay off the car sooner. Maybe I'll get it later when it offers more or if it gets a price break.

This is a great decision especially for one very important reason I don't think anyone mentioned - if you had purchased FSD and used the "party tricks" once or twice, that's probably as good as it gets. If you're going to sell the car in 3 years, buying FSD is placing a lot of unwarranted bets on Tesla's ability to deliver significant features in a short timeline. Unless you really like $7000 party tricks or have a legitimate use for them, I suppose. IMO it's still better to wait it out and see what they actually come up with. Might require new hardware yet again.

I still have FSD enabled to this day (didn't pay for it, shh don't tell?) but don't ever use AutoPark or Summon outside the first time I demonstrated it to some coworkers. I use the auto lane change sometimes, but I also just cancel out of AP and re-engage in the next lane too (I find the auto lane change overly aggressive, personally). AutoPark still parks awkwardly at times, and Summon has limited true utility at the moment.

You'll still enjoy the car plenty with "basic" AP daily, and you will certainly enjoy paying it off sooner!

Reactions: Gize
Today, I think anyone will tell you it's not worth $7000.00

Tomorrow it might be worth $7000.
When tomorrow is, who knows.
Will the price go up further, who knows.
If price goes up when will it go up, who knows.
Will price go down (sale), who knows.

I've had two Tesla's with FSD for 16 months.

With base AP:

Auto Steer (The most useful feature of AP). Most folks think it works good but it has it's moments (namely false/paranoid braking).

If you get FSD today, you get:

Basic Summon. Back out of garage or parking spot. (never used it, that's how little I care)
Enhanced Summon. Retrieve your car from a parking spot. (never used it, that's how little I care)
You get Change Lane automatically by clicking the Blinker when under Auto Steer (this is the most useful feature and fairly robust, but worth maybe $1000).
Navigate on Auto Pilot. I was impressed at first, then lost faith. To many mistakes per mile. I no longer use it. Lots of people use it a lot.
Auto Park (never used it, that's how little I care).

With no AP or FSD you get:

Blind Spot
Lane Departure Assist
Emergency Braking

Lot's of folks are skeptical how far Tesla can take FSD with the current sensors that can, get blocked by condensation or sun.
There is no radar in the back (most cars with blind spot have two rear radar guns).
Some feel the cameras can see far enough ahead.

Will Tesla deliver something (enough driver assistance) worth $7000 with the current hardware, hard to say?

You might factor in how insurance might handle a claim. I think it's safer to buy it with the car so it's on the Moneray Sticker. If you buy it after purchase, it's like upgrading your factory radio, do you think insurance will pay you for an upgraded radio? Some folks explicitly add it to their policy (if they bought it with or added it) and pay a bit more insurance for it. I think it's much simpler/safer if it's on the Moneray sticker. Especially if you have a 100% car replacement policy for 2 years type thing. I bought it after and wish I bought it with (Same price).

If you monitor forums, you will probably know if a price hike is coming and can decide then. That's what I did at the last price hike.

I got AP and then FSD last year when they were significantly discounted, so that ended up being $5k for both. That got close enough for me to warrant getting it (I would still have gotten everything if it cost like $4kish).

That being said, for $7k, I cannot recommended it. Lane change is the only thing that is worthwhile on the FSD package to have, and even that either gets annoying when it keeps suggesting me to change a lane on navigate, or until the more recent updates recently it took way to long to successfully change lanes (see more below).

It does keep getting better, but it's a very slow burn, and honestly the more I have it, the more I am not confident when full self driving ever happening, there are just so many situations where a human needs to intervene, it's great to have it for the highway, but cities are too complicated, too messy, for it to ever work well IMO (and I was full on thinking FSD would eventually happen).

Also, I have found myself the more I have FSD, and I use it, it frustrates me, it either makes a poor decision, or is (and understandably so) too "safe" in it's decisions, which while yes, better than plowing through something, sometimes you have to make the decision quickly, in order for traffic and other drivers around you who sort of expect you to make that decision to help with theirs. While I totally understand why it's programmed, better safe than sorry, it's errs often too much on the side of caution where it's paralysis by analysis.

An anecdotal situation happened last November when I was driving home and my brother was following me. We were on the highway, and while he wasn't following super close behind me, it was close enough that when I auto changed lanes, he started to as well, and during the lane change it sensed him behind me, and would abruptly jerk itself back into the previous lane, even if it was mostly into the new lane (a new update has made this act go more quickly in general so less likely to happen, but it still can happen) and to me this is unacceptable, cause it cause my brother to have to react to my car swerving, cause he was assuming I was trying to avoid something, which of course, I am not.

Overall, autopilot has some great positives, but it has some glaring negatives, it will get better, but it will take a long time.

I wanted it so bad so I made sure that I reserved it on my Y order in October at $6k. I was so excited because I told myself it was definitely worth $6K right, especially now that it's already $7K!? I said screw the P model and let's just get this FSD!

However the more and more I thought about it, I really was wondering what is this money going to right NOW. If Elon had made true on his promises each time about how he will have it this month, then this feature this month, then end of the year...Now we are at "a few more months." I just cannot justify not knowing when it will really even come out with the next step of city driving. If I couldnt buy it after, I probably would've held on to it, but since its an aftermarket thing, I said what am I really gonna miss? The 1K savings of nothing thus far?
Not like they won’t make P a SW upgrade down the road if several “mistake” cars are any indication. Maybe you’re into something.

I do have a point of comparison though which is BMW’s Driver Assistant Professional. — Basic AP2/3 blows it away and the nagging is even more persistent and insidious (the system WILL turn off with little fanfare)

EAP or FSD as current nomenclature dictates is more advanced and can certainly do more but in its current iteration isn’t worth $7K or 10K for Cars with no AP currently.