Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD - Worthwhile Investment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who purchased the FSD add-on when you reserved the car, what caused you to do that vs. waiting to add it later after delivery? Are you happy with your decision? What aspects of your driving experience with the FSD add-on cause you to believe you made a mistake in prepaying vs. subscribing for the FSD after vehicle delivery? Have you tried contacting Tesla or utilizing other channels to remedy the situation if your FSD experience fell short of your expectations?
Purchased it for model 3 in 2018, and then traded for model Y and bought FSD. I currently have Model X 2022 with FSD and recent earnings call Musk said HW3 to HW4 is not "economically feasible"

At least wait till HW4 comes out

Been there, done that, did not buy FSD for my latest M3. $15k for what you get is a scam. I could barely stand using it on my previous M3.
We got scammed for sure.

Well he said all current HW3 Teslas will become Robotaxis. Either they will upgrade until it's achieved or it will become the Elizabeth Holmes situation and an enormous class action lawsuit given that just in the US more than 400 thousand people have purchased it.

Reactions: Maxpilot
Purchased it for model 3 in 2018, and then traded for model Y and bought FSD. I currently have Model X 2022 with FSD and recent earnings call Musk said HW3 to HW4 is not "economically feasible"

At least wait till HW4 comes out
I didn’t hear about the upgrade to HW4 being not feasible. That’s interesting. Lots of cars out there that have had the promise. They’ll probably stop selling “Full Self Driving” and call that complete, and call the new stuff “Completely Full Self Driving”.

Lame.

Reactions: Genie and Ciaopec
I didn’t hear about the upgrade to HW4 being not feasible. That’s interesting. Lots of cars out there that have had the promise. They’ll probably stop selling “Full Self Driving” and call that complete, and call the new stuff “Completely Full Self Driving”.

Lame.

"Fully Complete Double Full Self Driving"
fully-double-rainbow_1024x1024.jpg

Reactions: Genie
Was proud of my Tesla today, had it on FSD and while going 40 mph, it abruptly slowed down to about 15 mph. There was nothing in front of me so I thought it was a mistake, then I saw a boy between two city garbage cans next to the curb, all I could see was his head. Tesla had seen him before me. He didn't cross the road but Tesla was ready if he did. With all of the anti FSD from O'Dowd and the Dawn Project, it was nice to see one more reason why FSD is way ahead of everything else, and has a far better safety record on average, than human drivers.

If it did indeed do this, that is great! Might have saved that kids life! Then again, maybe it just saw a shadow, got scared and slammed on the brakes and the whole thing was a coincidence. Mine does that more often than slamming on brakes for a kids as it seems to be afraid of shadows.

So we can debate if it is set to be 'super twitchy' and brake for every child like head it sees if the shadows or if the danger of being rear ended because it Phantom Brakes all the time is better. I guess saving the kid is better because a reareding is just body damage? But the Phantom Braking sure is annoying!

Looking at a vehicle or vehicle feature as an expense is perfectly reasonable from a personal standpoint and when not throwing other financial terms around at the same time. However, from a technical/financial accounting standpoint, when purchased with the vehicle, it is part of the vehicle. When purchased after, it is likely still an asset for business tax purposes. The link I posted earlier supports that with this quote:

There is also the fact that you still can't separate the feature from the vehicle after purchase, so it would be considered an improvement to the existing asset (still part of it even though purchased after).

In the interest of full disclosure, the omitted beginning of that quote could arguably bring treating a separate FSD purchase as capital into question, but it could also bring the treating of a vehicle purchase as capital into question using the same logic, so that logic likely isn't really valid (prhaps because, for accounting purposes, businesses don't purchase things that aren't needed in the line of business, and if something is needed in the line of business, the same income wouldn't be generated without it). Meanwhile, every accountant I have ever worked with would err on the side of caution given the price point regardless.

That having been said, it would certainly be an expense if you were referring to the subscription.
When you say the feature cannot be separated from the vehicle after purchase, are you referring to some technical aspect of why that might not be possible or just what Tesla provided when you asked them about it?

Last edited:
When you say the feature cannot be separated from the vehicle after purchase, are you referring to some technical aspect of why that might not be possible or just what Tesla provided when you asked them about it?
It's not a technical limitation, it is a legal/licensing limitation. When Tesla sells FSD, it is effectively a non-transferrable license to the vehicle (as opposed to a license to you).

^^ I ‘ll rephrase my statement-
I’m glad I bought the car
I regret buying the FSD
I totally agree, I too regret for paying 15K without having that FSD installed, I bought the car on February I thought It will come as activated as a wide version was already released in November. If I knew that won't be the case, I wouldn't pay 15K for the feature and rather would wait to have it available first and then upgrade to the feature later. I would not recommend anyone to pay 15K upfront when you don't know if the car is coming with the package activated,

I have fsd on both my 2017 x and 2018 3. It’s fun to play with, watching car make turns, signal , pass slower vehicles, but really just a toy now. Autopilot very useful for the freeway, but it’s free. We did not opt to pay 15000 for our performance y on order. 15k just too much. Maybe there will be another fire sale. I’d pay 5k to add to y.