Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSDb Turns the Wrong Way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had any number of times where the voice and the directions and the map don't agree on left or right. And FSD does something different that may or may not be correct. It seems like normally the voice is wrong and the directions are good. Generally I've been able to trust FSD to correctly navigate. I've only had one time where FSD did not follow the directions and missed an exit that I expected it to take. Just another thing we have to monitor. I try to watch the written directions when possible.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I happened to be recording and noticed that the nav said to turn left, and the car turned right. This was right at the beginning of the drive and I suspect that the GPS was off. What do you think was going on?

If it's only turning the wrong way rarely enough to post about, it's doing much better than my mom, so we've already got super-human reliability by that metric

I happened to be recording and noticed that the nav said to turn left, and the car turned right. This was right at the beginning of the drive and I suspect that the GPS was off. What do you think was going on?

It's possible that the car (for some reason) believed it was in a right-turn only lane, and per NHTSA recall requirements, once the car thinks it's in a turn-only lane, it must turn that way.

Or the car believes that street is a one-way street, so regardless of the nav, it will execute the safer decision?

Reactions: clydeiii
So FSDb didn’t really turn the wrong way, as the thread title says, the voice nav said the wrong thing. That’s a very different issue.

I’ve experienced discrepancies between the voice guidance and actual navigation with both regular AP and FSDb, but the actual navigation was always correct. On the other hand, I’ve had cases where FSDb shows and says the correct upcoming turn but the car fails to turn.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I've had my YLR for about 11 months. The NAV has inconsistently announced, "Your destination is on the left <or right> and been wrong about 80% of the time. Particularly Supercharger locations. On a trip where I wasn't familiar with their locations this was especially inconvenient. Being told the destination is on the left, watch for the Superchargers, circle and try again, and again. After a few of these I learned to look on both sides. If NAV were 100% wrong, it would be better, because then I would know to where to look, but at 20% correct?? I just had to learn to watch carefully on both sides, especially the side opposite the NAV directions. With FSDb the problem is most of the time, NAV announces something like, "In one mile, turn right on #### street - then the car frantically dives across 3 lanes of traffic to try to get in the far left lane, from which it will dither around and still try to creep across 3 lanes of traffic to make its' turn to the right.

On yesterday's drive on FSDb the car correctly took a left turn at an intersection, then blasted through a stop sign without even slowing down, in front of oncoming traffic. I decided the traffic was far enough away to allow me to recover if it did something stupid, so I just waited to see. I suspect it worried them a bit, but no damage done.

Did trips totaling about 100 miles yesterday with an estimated:
Hands on wheel Nags - 450
"Why was there a disengagement?"s - 50 or 60
Answers:
Because it tried to make a left turn to go the wrong way on a one-way street
Because it was still accelerating toward that car stopped at a red light and I waited as long as possible before slamming on the brakes.
Because we met a car on a two lane road, minding its' own business doing 30 mph and my car slammed on the brakes and came to a dead stop and apparently was prepared to just sit there forever.
Because it was trying to take an exit off the freeway that had nothing to do with our route or destination.
Because a car was pulling out of a parking lot on our left, making a left turn into the center turn lane (two lanes to my left) and my car slammed on the brakes and tried to come to a complete stop with the heavy traffic behind me bearing down on us at 55 mph.

On the good side, the last update made things much better. The first 6 months were pretty scary, my passengers were always very nervous and I had to be on extreme high alert, way more stressful than driving a normal car from a previous century. Now it has come a long way and has moments where it feels as safe and comfortable as a 50 or 75 year old car.

can’t tell from the video (street sign and written navigation directions are both too blurry), but was that Broadway you turned right onto? It could also be because FSDb/AP had been just engaged and maybe the directions were behind/lagging? I have had it not follow the navigation directions exactly before, but I think it was usually due to not prepping for a turn in time or prevented by some other real-time/one-off obstacle.