Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSDb a couple questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I occasionally get a message about a pending lane change and the comment "use turn signal to cancel" or "tap to cancel". How is it expecting me to manipulate the turn signal if I were to want to cancel? Signal the opposite direction?

More often I end up at a four way stop sign intersection where the car has the right of way, but it seems to creep forward, almost going, then stops as if thinking about it or waiting to see what the other cars are going to do. I have tried to tap the accelerator to make it move, but a tiny tap does not seem to do anything. Today I gave it a harder press, almost like I was driving myself and it moved out of the intersection and did not disengage FSDb.

Is there any guideline for how much pressing on the accelerator should be done to give it a "nudge" or "hit" to move along?

As many have said, FSDb waits too long before putting on the turn signal. It seems to be possible to manually activate the turn signal before FSDb does. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Just a partial flick of the turn signal will cancel the lane change. That's actually an option that I've turned off. I believe that the car has to see torque on the wheel to do it anyway.

The creeping forward should result in a message on the screen that says the car is creeping forward for visibility.

Yes, a tap is not enough, I've found just a little press for a second or so seems to get it going.

FSD waits until it can verify that it is safe to enter the road. It is being safe.

Turning on the turn signal is one thing that the engineers just don't want to get right, just like follow distance. Both need to be increased. They seem to think that the turn signal is a "Watch out I'm turning" indicator as opposed to a "I'm about to turn" indicator.

Thanks for the response.

I have seen the "creeping forward for visibility", but the behavior I was mentioning is more like it comes to a four way stop sign with a car or two there but with my car having the right of way. The car pulls out about a third of the way but then stops and sits there. I suppose something about the other cars worried it.

Thanks for the response.

I have seen the "creeping forward for visibility", but the behavior I was mentioning is more like it comes to a four way stop sign with a car or two there but with my car having the right of way. The car pulls out about a third of the way but then stops and sits there. I suppose something about the other cars worried it.
It does that for me even when there are no other cars at the intersection.

Thanks for the response.

I have noticed the little creep at stop signs in the last couple of FSDb versions. I think that this is an attempt for the car to negotiate with the other drivers by signaling its intent. Humans do a similar thing to sort of move a bit as if to say, "my turn is next."

It does that for me even when there are no other cars at the intersection.
And after it creeps for ~~ 30 seconds? (which seems like a week and a half at an intersection), it suddenly leaps out, spinning it's tires, whether or not there is cross traffic at 75mph within 50 feet. {I confess I haven't tested its apparent belief that it can accelerate so fast it won't get rear ended. . . . . . .}

Thanks for the response.

Have you looked at the screen and seen what the car says it is doing?

In my experience, nudging the accelerator doesn’t in any way signal to FSD that it should proceed, however, you can continue to press the accelerator to advance “semi manually” and it won’t disengage FSD (or auto steer). FSD usually takes over accelerating on its own pretty predictably once you’re past the point that caused the hesitation (ie once you’re partially into the turn).

I do this regularly when it’s waiting too long at stop signs.

In my experience, nudging the accelerator doesn’t in any way signal to FSD that it should proceed, however, you can continue to press the accelerator to advance “semi manually” and it won’t disengage FSD (or auto steer). FSD usually takes over accelerating on its own pretty predictably once you’re past the point that caused the hesitation (ie once you’re partially into the turn).

I do this regularly when it’s waiting too long at stop signs.
I think that you are playing with semantics. You press the accelerator and the car moves forward a little, That's pretty much nudging the accelerator.

I think that you are playing with semantics. You press the accelerator and the car moves forward a little, That's pretty much nudging the accelerator.
What I said was “continue to press”, which (upon further thought) I do think of as an action that’s a bit different from a nudge.

Since you mentioned it, it does seem similar to an earlier post of yours in which you distinguish a “tap” from “just a little press”, don’t you think?

All nonsense aside, the point I was making was that there doesn’t seem to be a way to signal to FSD that “it’s safe to proceed.” The current best solution is to manually proceed through the intersection with the accelerator (while keeping FSD engaged, if it’s safe to do so).

All nonsense aside, the point I was making was that there doesn’t seem to be a way to signal to FSD that “it’s safe to proceed.” The current best solution is to manually proceed through the intersection with the accelerator (while keeping FSD engaged, if it’s safe to do so).
You tapping the accelerator does that. I don't continue my press, just a quick tap and FSD takes over and finishes. I do this all the time at yellow arrow left turns and 4 way stops.

You tapping the accelerator does that. I don't continue my press, just a quick tap and FSD takes over and finishes. I do this all the time at yellow arrow left turns and 4 way stops.
There’s definitely a threshold. Once you’re through the portion FSD is stuck on (which is sometimes quite small) it will definitely continue on its way.

But you’re not “signaling to FSD” in the way you are when, for example, you press the turn signal stalk to confirm a lane change in EAP mode. Rather, you’re just overriding the hesitancy.

There’s definitely a threshold. Once you’re through the portion FSD is stuck on (which is sometimes quite small) it will definitely continue on its way.

But you’re not “signaling to FSD” in the way you are when, for example, you press the turn signal stalk to confirm a lane change in EAP mode. Rather, you’re just overriding the hesitancy.
You are arguing semantics. It's designed to where you can tap and allow the car to go...sometimes a tap doesn't work if the car thinks the situation is unsafe and you actually have to press and override, but the tap works most times.

You are arguing semantics. It's designed to where you can tap and allow the car to go...sometimes a tap doesn't work if the car thinks the situation is unsafe and you actually have to press and override, but the tap works most times.
Just because you don’t understand or care about the functional difference doesn’t mean it’s only “arguing semantics.” But do continue using that phrase; it gives adequate warning to the person you’re talking to.

Just because you don’t understand or care about the functional difference doesn’t mean it’s only “arguing semantics.” But do continue using that phrase; it gives adequate warning to the person you’re talking to.
Has anyone here agreed with you on this?

Tesla has a way to signal the car to proceed. You want a button or to tap the stalk. Tapping the accelerator signaled regular FSD it was safe to proceed at green lights and it signals Beta to engage in the maneuver.

But sure keep telling everyone that crayons are food.

Has anyone here agreed with you on this?

Tesla has a way to signal the car to proceed. You want a button or to tap the stalk. Tapping the accelerator signaled regular FSD it was safe to proceed at green lights and it signals Beta to engage in the maneuver.

But sure keep telling everyone that crayons are food.
Instead of picking arguments, try rereading the thread with your brain on. You’re the only one claiming that a tap is sufficient. OP literally said “tap does not seem to do anything”.

I was just agreeing with OP’s observation and explained my workaround, which is similar to theirs.

Instead of picking arguments, try rereading the thread with your brain on. You’re the only one claiming that a tap is sufficient. OP literally said “tap does not seem to do anything”.

I was just agreeing with OP’s observation and explained my workaround, which is similar to theirs.
It absolutely does, Elon even spoke to it.

I have almost 50k miles on FSD Beta. When it's at a stop sign or blinking yellow (which it will never go on it's own), I literally tap the pedal...I don't even push it down, just like I did when I had regular FSD years ago at green lights.

Chuck, Dirty, a list of people have spoken to this point of "tapping the accelerator" that's not not just anecdotal for me. Many here have as well.

It's designed into the program, just as tap to go through green was.

There are times where Beta wants to resist because it thinks the situation is unsafe and you have to press the accelerator and if you let up, it will stop until the situation is resolved, but that's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about the aspect of FSD Beta that you can tap the pedal to let FSD know that it's ok to proceed. That's exactly what you asked for.

I’m still a bit hesitant to let FSDb remain in control at certain stop signs. It seems to want to lunge out as cross traffic is approaching, even though it says creeping forward for visibility, is seems to creep a little too far forward, too quickly, not only making me nervous, but other approving vehicles on occasion as well. I never give it a chance to see if it will stop on its own, as a few times it has blown through a second stop sign that was too close to another (first) stop sign.

Reactions: silenteski
I’m still a bit hesitant to let FSDb remain in control at certain stop signs. It seems to want to lunge out as cross traffic is approaching, even though it says creeping forward for visibility, is seems to creep a little too far forward, too quickly, not only making me nervous, but other approving vehicles on occasion as well. I never give it a chance to see if it will stop on its own, as a few times it has blown through a second stop sign that was too close to another (first) stop sign.
You're on FSD Beta with HW4, right?

Did you have it with a hW3 car?