Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

full HD smartphone mirroing plus 4 camera inputs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could care less about screen mirroring. But a 360 all around view (like Nissan / Infiniti / BMW / and others have) would be awesome and I would pay for that if it was a seamless install (looked like it was part of the car and not a retrofit). As others have stated... must integrate with the 17" touchscreen and not be on a separate screen or some major workaround like having to use the browser to bring up the 360 view. It should automatically pop up whenever I go in reverse and/or when I click on the camera icon.

I don't care about phone controls/view. I'd just like to display camera inputs and have the front camera automatically come on when doing parking maneuvers and such. The main reason I've yet to install @artsci 's kit is because I'd need to do manual juggling of the view with a remote or homelink.

we know we can display it on the touch screen , touch screen is still questionable

Can you comment on the method by which you're mirroring the display? Adding hardware behind the main display or software only? I imagine you can mirror the phone "simply" by adding some hardware to the display to enable switching but mirroring touch functionality would be another story.

I'm curious because this has other implications such as enabling videos in-vehicle. I'd like to compile a similar version of Firefox as the stock one except without video (and audio?) tags disabled, etc.

direct input to the touch screen

I wish you very well but Model S's short history is littered with failed attempts to have the touchscreen show direct inputs from sources other then the Tesla rear camera. I'll believe it when I see screen shots and not before. But if you do succeed may I suggest development of a dash cam recorder that displays on the touch screen. Or better yet using Tesla HD cameras for all four camera inputs. Those options would be a dream. Good luck!

I don't care about phone controls/view. I'd just like to display camera inputs and have the front camera automatically come on when doing parking maneuvers and such. The main reason I've yet to install @artsci 's kit is because I'd need to do manual juggling of the view with a remote or homelink.

Not if you make the front camera the default view. If you do that the only time it shows the rear view is when the car is in reverse.

• Informative
Reactions: AnOutsider
Not sure why there is so much doubt in accomplishing this. I've already read someone has gotten video to play on the 17". Of course the hard part will be the touch control interface. However there are companies that have been doing this for years on other high end touch screen navigation units.

Not sure why there is so much doubt in accomplishing this. I've already read someone has gotten video to play on the 17". Of course the hard part will be the touch control interface. However there are companies that have been doing this for years on other high end touch screen navigation units.

There's doubt because quite a few experts have tried and none have succeeded. We managed to make a camera switch that switches between a front and rear camera but all that does is fool the touchscreen electronics into thinking they're seeing a rear camera when the front camera is on. But we had to use Tesla cameras as none others work with the touchscreen.

A number of people have tried direct inputs for video, non-Tesla cameras, etc but none have succeeded. That others have done this on other brands means nothing, as Tesla's technology is much harder to crack. In fact there are dozens of aftermarket products that do the kinds of things the OP wants, but none for Tesla. That's why if the OP succeeds I said he'd be a miracle worker.

We should all applaud him for trying and hope he succeeds. But given the history it's prudent to wonder. I he does succeed I'll be the first in line to buy!

Last edited:
Would hardware like this have warranty implications?

This question always comes up and has with all of the mods I've made, of which my Service Center is fully aware -- they even crowd around the car to see what I've done. But Tesla has never even intimated that my warranty is in jeopardy. All of this happens on the 12v side where it can do no harm except maybe blow a fuse. However if anything tapped into the high voltage side that might be another story.

• Helpful
Reactions: almans and msnow
Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Attachments

• Ch93GC7XIAMxeYE.jpg
    Ch93GC7XIAMxeYE.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 90