Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full headlight failure - corrected by 'power off'?

SteelSully

Sep 21, 2016
Midlothian, Va
Hello,

I have a June 2016 MS75 and in late August 2019 I noticed that my driver's side headlight assembly wasn't turning on (this includes the LED DRL, blinker & HID). Since we were on a family roadtrip to Maine when this happened, I attempted every trick I could think of to fix it and found that if I selected 'Power Off' and let the car sit for over 5 minutes it eventually appeared to fix itself.

Tonight the issue came up again on my driver's side headlights on my commute home (it may have been off when I left work, but I didn't notice it until I attempted to make a left turn) and sure enough the same fix worked when I got home. Has anyone else experienced this? The headlights are only 1.5 years old since they were replaced under warranty when I had the dreaded 'brownout' DRL issues on both headlights.

Hoping I don't have to replace these yet again (as now I have 80k miles), but could this be just a software bug?

drklain

Dec 17, 2016
Fairfax, VA/Brussels, BE
Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like an overtemp fuse or breaker is opening and then,after you kill power and it has a chance to cool off, it resets....Your car should still be under warranty, I'd get it in and let Tesla figure out the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: SteelSully

SteelSully

Sep 21, 2016
Midlothian, Va
Yeah, I figured as such - and unfortunately unless headlights are covered by 'powertrain' issues - I don't think these are still under warranty at 80,000 miles? (not quite sure the warranty on replaced headlights)

SteelSully

Sep 21, 2016
Midlothian, Va
Left and right lights are always on the same fuse. What's most likely is the ballast overheated on that side. They usually have a self resetting fuse.

Thank you, good to know about the fuse configuration. The only odd part is the first time it happened - it remained out for the whole day (even after being parked/unattended for hours). Only once I did the full 5 minute power off at night @ the hotel did it clear. Tonight, I tried pulling over briefly on the way home, but only let it power off for 1 minute and it didn't help. 10 minutes later when I was home, I kept it powered off for 5 uninterrupted minutes. Restarted and it worked like nothing had happened in the first place (same behavior as two months ago). Guess at least I have a workaround for now?

NoMoGas

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Yeah, I figured as such - and unfortunately unless headlights are covered by 'powertrain' issues - I don't think these are still under warranty at 80,000 miles? (not quite sure the warranty on replaced headlights)
On the chance your ballast is going, I replaced mine for 30 bucks on ebay. In fact I upgraded the lights as well to 35w... total cost 150 installed by stereo shop.

Reactions: SteelSully

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC