Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full self driving for $3k: Go for it or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take your money and buy their stock with the 3k. You have better chance of a return then FSD anytime soon.

Stock goes up and stock goes down and depending when you buy or sell, you might get a profit or a loss.

But remember, pre-paying Full Self driving is not just about waiting for its production quality product.

It's true that Tesla has not been very accurate about its timeline but it's still a blast to enjoy incremental beta releases of the feature a little bit at a time.

Telsa Full Self Driving is based on the competency level achievement of Autopilot. There's been definite progress on Autopilot. It can now differentiate cars, trucks, motorcycles, pedestrians and "soon" it'll be traffic sign / light recognition for Full Self Driving beta activation...

Last edited:
Hey all,

I'm reserving an inventory car with FSD added, they will remove it for a $3k reduction in price. If you were in this situation, would you keep it or take the cash and see what happens. My instinct is with FSD back as an option, it might be a good purchase (they'll release stop light interaction next year is my guess). But curious what others who are more in the know think?

I was told it is 5K more for AP activation. Are you sure they told you 3K?

I was told it is 5K more for AP activation. Are you sure they told you 3K?

Originally, prior to the price increase:

Enhance Autopilot=$5,000 pre-delivery or $6,000 post-delivery.

Full Self-Driving=$3,000 pre-delivery or $4,000 post-delivery

Current price:

Enhance Autopilot=$5,000 pre-delivery or $7,000 post-delivery.

Full Self-Driving=$3,000 pre-delivery or $5,000 post-delivery when it was posted on the web but now it's unknown since it is off-menu item.

This thread is about a CPO car that already has Full Self Driving paid-up for future activation.

So the question is: Does the owner want to decline that feature to get $3,000 off the final purchase price.

Where are you getting that it will cost more than $3k for the CPU upgrade?

The fact of recent price fluctuations:

It would cost $4,000 post-delivery for the upgrade as opposed to $3,000 for pre-delivery and prior to the price change.

Now, the post-delivery price was increased to $5,000 instead of $4,000 before the price was disappeared for an off-menu procedure.

It is hard to put a price on something that doesn't work right now.

But once it demonstrates that it will in future, it's unlikely that the price would go down.

Anyhow, it's still a gamble. If it proves that it won't work AT ALL, most likely Tesla will have to refund the money back.

• Informative
Reactions: Michel3
It is still offered off-menu (to not confuse potential buyers)

upload_2018-12-4_19-2-5.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Jedi2155
I still have many doubts that Tesla will manage FSD everywhere in the lifetime of my model 3. But, I figured if they could get FSD to at least work on limited access highways (i.e. navigate on autopilot without any nags) it would be worth $3000 to me. I drive a lot of interstates and other limited access freeways that I would love to trust the car to get me to the off ramp without me needing to pay too much attention. Something like if I see an construction ahead sign I would be ready to take control.

Yes, autopilot works pretty well and that is a problem. It works well enough to lull you into a false sense of security, but not well enough to be unattended. I find myself more distracted in the Tesla because of autopilot than my last vehicle. I hate to admit it but I will look away trusting autopilot when I should not while driving. In my last vehicle if I was not watching the road I would have instantly drifted off the road and wrecked the car.

If most of my driving was around town I do not think that FSD will really be an option in the next 5 years, and would not pay up front. Hopefully Tesla proves me wrong, but a lot of Model S/X people will probably come off their 3 year leases without seeing FSD working anywhere. I would hope by the end of 2019 FSD starts to work on limited access highways like interstates. I still do not think I would trust it to do something like sleep going across country on the interstate.

• Love
Reactions: Michel3