Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

fun times...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
66de1l.jpg

after only 3 1/2 months, already got the screen yellowing on my mcu. a bunch of rattles and creaks fixed during 2 weeks the car was in the shop in the first month are all back. FWD still don't open probably 1/6 times due to phantom obstacles. daily commute now takes 45% of battery daily instead of 40% when the car was new,(no idea why). and my right passenger door is still sagging after initial service. this in addition to of course all the initial issues (broken passenger drive door unit, constantly disconnecting bluetooth, misaligned door trim, frequent MCU resets, random rattles). re: 1 week issues

now i get to take the car back into service and i get to a) wait 4 wks for an appt, (first available appt in OC in NOVEMBER) b) wait in a long line at the service center c) have no loaner. re: First service

tesla may be a great tech company, but they don't know sh!t about making nor maintaining cars. if this is 3 1/2 months, i shudder to think what state this car will be after 1 or 2 years of use.

• Love
Reactions: ebfio and P85_DA
Sorry @dethman people do cancel so checking often can net you something sooner.

And also try other service centers as well.

By chance was your MCU replaced at all previously?

Seems like one piece that might be related to a slew of other problems.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Yellowing is common. Seems that it is an adhesive between a couple layers that turns yellow.

It does not seem to effect any functionality, but they will gladly replace it if it bothers you.

Let them know it is an issue when you make your appointment so they can have one in stock when you bring it in.

Easy DIY work around is to simply dim your display a bit, and that will make it less noticible until you can take it in.

I would not take the car in, just for that, but have it addressed when taking it in for something else at the same time.

Yellowing is common. Seems that it is an adhesive between a couple layers that turns yellow.

It does not seem to effect any functionality, but they will gladly replace it if it bothers you.

Let them know it is an issue when you make your appointment so they can have one in stock when you bring it in.

Easy DIY work around is to simply dim your display a bit, and that will make it less noticible until you can take it in.

I would not take the car in, just for that, but have it addressed when taking it in for something else at the same time.

awesome. thank you for your help!

Just lemon it after 30 days in the shop
That won't work. Tesla knows every in and out of every State's lemon laws, and can write up a repair in a manner that will avoid any kind of technical requirement that would give one of their customers a lemon remedy, speaking from experience after our X spent weeks & weeks in the shop during the first 18 months. Since we didn't want to become a behemoth whiner - nor did we want this kind of slipshod quality advertised in the media, we are just waiting for our lease to end in about a year or so.

#3 is a clear and cut rule. If they want to lie about how many days the car was in the shop on the record, let them be.

The presumptions are however useful as guidance and as a quick reference source regarding what the Sacramento Legislature thought would amount to a “reasonable number” of repair attempts. In particular, the presumptions in California’s lemon law deem that a reasonable number of repair attempts have occurred if:

1. there have been two or more attempts to repair a malfunction “that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury” within the vehicle’s first 18,000 miles or the first 18 months of ownership (whichever comes first) and the consumer has directly notified the manufacturer of the existence of the defect;

2. there have been four or more repair attempts for the same malfunction within the vehicle’s first 18,000 miles or the first 18 months of ownership (whichever comes first) and the consumer has directly notified the manufacturer of the existence of the defect; or

3. the automobile has been out of service under repair for a total of 30 or more days during the vehicle’s first 18,000 miles or the first 18 months of ownership (whichever comes first).

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl and P85_DA
Unfortunately none of this is new, but it hardly qualifies for even the most generous lemon law protection. It’s a bad start but I know many X owners who have had their cars fixed and now never go to the shop. One time in service with the issues coming back is quite normal for the X.

The bigger problem is that we’re all caught in the middle of a ramp up where existing service center capacity is insufficient for the production numbers. My FW sensor is showing phantom objects and the new software update is telling me to bring it in for service. The problem is that the earliest DC appt is Oct 25th.

Btw, My X is being lemon lawed currently because it has been in the shop 8 times for the FW door (and it’s still defective). My car has been in service 10 times for a total of 46 days in the past 18 months.

It seems to me that Tesla has done a far better job than is represented by many forum posts.

If 95% of the service centers have quick access for appointments they will point to the few that have long wait times.
If 95% of the Superchargers routinely have empty slots, they will point to the few, in congested areas like Qualcomm and complain that Tesla has poor free Supercharging.

I understand the whole squeeky wheel thing, but constantly harping on the few areas of overcrowding simply glosses over the tremendous job that Tesla has done in so many places.

If lots of customers tie up the service centers, demanding that their expensive displays get replaced because of a non issue yellow border, then it stands to reason that it will tie up those center and keep them from getting to the more important stuff.

Understand this will not sit well with those experiencing significant problems and inconvenience, but from what I can see, Tesla service people are working their asses off trying to provide the best customer service possible, under difficult circumstances.

I still believe that the majority of Tesla on the road are magnificent.

Reactions: K3Man