Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny experience in my office parking garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive a Model S. One of five or six in our garage. But I'm pretty friendly with the parking attendants in our garage because they're Turkish and I speak some Turkish since my wife is from there. Drove down this morning and they were motioning for me to come over. I walk over and there's a really nice Midnight Silver Model X there. This is the color I'd want to buy, with an Ultra White interior. The driver's side FWD is open and it's "stuck" because its leading edge is about ½" from a huge concrete column. Having seen the glass breaking thread on here I was worried. Evidently they accidentally opened the FWD and didn't know how to get it closed. Obviously they were really nervous about having a brand new $100k car with its door right next to a concrete column. Guess I'm the "Tesla Guy" in our garage now.

On another note, the automated front doors are really kind of a pain in the butt. Since I wasn't holding the actual key fob, it was difficult for me to get the door open. I'd press the handle, but since the attendant was standing next to me and the FWD sensed an obstacle, the door wouldn't open. I had to open it manually.

I've test driven an X a couple times now. I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to wait it out for Tesla to work out some more of these kinks and to let the world get more familiar with them in general. Also, I think now that rather than going from a non-AP car to AP1, I'm just going to wait for the next version of AP to come out. I really love the car but I'm not sure it's the right time for me to buy one.

So I assume you were able to squeeze in there and lower the FWD for them, thus firmly entrenching your reputation as the "Tesla Guy"?
Yeah. I did get the driver door open. I just had to press the handle a few times until it "propped" open enough to manually open it. It actually shut on me a couple times. The FWD wasn't really stuck at all, they just didn't know how to close it.

Sounds like since they had the keys it was valet parked. This is why I don't want to valet the car. They obviously weren't trying to take a joy ride or anything, but they could have damaged the doors if they accidentally used the override to force the doors open in spite of the obstacle.

Sounds like since they had the keys it was valet parked. This is why I don't want to valet the car. They obviously weren't trying to take a joy ride or anything, but they could have damaged the doors if they accidentally used the override to force the doors open in spite of the obstacle.
Our parking garage is valet parking only. They have to constantly move the cars in order to fill the garage to capacity.

This makes me nervous about staying at hotels that have valet parking only. It is only natural that valet staff will play with the FWDs and not knowing the limitations especially in low ceiling garages could end up ruining a perfect vacation.
What do you guys and gals think of placing a feature request to Tesla to restrict opening the FWDs in valet mode?

Reactions: WABarb
This makes me nervous about staying at hotels that have valet parking only. It is only natural that valet staff will play with the FWDs and not knowing the limitations especially in low ceiling garages could end up ruining a perfect vacation.
What do you guys and gals think of placing a feature request to Tesla to restrict opening the FWDs in valet mode?
Makes sense to me.

That said, I can highly recommend the valets at the Belmond Charleston Place. My car was delivered to me at the door each day, fully charged, with no evidence of any foolishness.

20160406_174554.jpg
I can tell you that the valets at 425 Market in SF know how to handle the Model X.