Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future AP updates will improve active safety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
This quote from the earnings call yesterday caught my attention:
“One area that I’m personally really excited to build on in this improvement is active safety. With the advancement of neural network covering 360 views around our car we can provide a level of constant vigilance that humans just can’t. Ultimately, this will allow us to warn and even intervene for an enormous percentage of modern accidents and to ship these improvements as software upgrades to our existing customers. By bringing out more cameras around the car, we can detect things as they come toward us not just directly in front of us.”
Tesla's HW3 upgrade next year will usher in Full Self-Driving, improved Neural Net computing abilities

Can anyone think of what exactly this would mean? Would it be things like using the pillar cameras to see a car that is going to T bone you and warning you and/or automatically moving out of the way?

This quote from the earnings call yesterday caught my attention:

Tesla's HW3 upgrade next year will usher in Full Self-Driving, improved Neural Net computing abilities

Can anyone think of what exactly this would mean? Would it be things like using the pillar cameras to see a car that is going to T bone you and warning you and/or automatically moving out of the way?

I assume so.

But the more important meaning I took from it was "Look at how awesome it's going to be, we've taken it off the design, but we're still going to be awesome."
Also "Pleeeaaaassseee call us and pay the extra money for Full Self-Driving now".

They talked about eliminating a large percentage of collisions. If they start with being better at stopping dumb prangs, that would help a lot.

My first thought is something I saw in a recent Hyundai commercial. The car is parallel parked, and a kid in the back seat was about to open the rear driver side door into oncoming traffic. Because the car saw another car approaching, it prevented the door from opening.

Much easier with rear seats than the driver's seat. Probability of being annoying is much lower. ;)