TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Future of Batteries: Alternatives to Lithium-Ion

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by musicious, Oct 12, 2015.

1. musicious

musicious Member

The thread about sugar batteries reminded me of an article I read about many types of batteries under development with various benefits that could make a significant impact for different uses.

If there is a breakthrough, which tech do you think would be most successful for EV cars and do you think the Gigawatt factory could be repurposed to produce an alternative to Lithium-Ion?

I'd post links but if you google "New Battery Tech" there are many articles explaining 10+ potential alternatives.

2. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

My personal opinion is that it will be something that hasn't really been announced yet. Lithium-Ion is most likely going to have a cost advantage for a LONG time. To replace Li-Ion you would have to increase capacity by at least 15%, at a comparable price right out of the gate, and a reasonable chance of increasing capacity relatively quickly.

This would of course mean that the technology would have a similar life-span, and similar charging ability (but preferably quicker).

I know of no battery technologies that can meet these requirements...all of them fail at least one of these criteria.

3. ethune

ethune Member

I've been in this industry 30 years. Every year there is a new company touting a new revolutionary battery technology. None of these have come to fruition. As Musk said, "send me a sample and we'll evaluate it". Lot's of research making claims they can't back up. We may be waiting a long time for a breakthrough in batteries....

4. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

two words: 'Solid state' batteries. Will be a decade out, but I think that might be the next 'it' thing.