Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FW Door Issue Sanity Check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need a sanity check on my FW door (and other) issues. I received my MX at the end of March. I've been to the service center 4 times for the same issue: FW door false positives. The door literally won't open and the driver door just cracks open. It takes a lot of time to get it to service... in fact, it's an epic waste of time.

Other issues include: replaced the front half shafts twice, replaced one rear pedestal seat, replaced rear seatbelt, defective speaker, serviced FW door hinges, bad seals in most lenses (fogging), rear hatch won't close, and there are more...

I've tried to be nice, but I think I've reached my breaking point. I love the car, but these issues are a bit too much. I have less than 3k miles.

I suppose I wouldn't mind as much if I received Tesla loaners but no, it's ICE after ICE for me. What happened to Elon's P100D loaner deal?

At what point should I give up? Perhaps I should just trade it in on a MS...

I need a sanity check on my FW door (and other) issues. I received my MX at the end of March. I've been to the service center 4 times for the same issue: FW door false positives. The door literally won't open and the driver door just cracks open. It takes a lot of time to get it to service... in fact, it's an epic waste of time.

Other issues include: replaced the front half shafts twice, replaced one rear pedestal seat, replaced rear seatbelt, defective speaker, serviced FW door hinges, bad seals in most lenses (fogging), rear hatch won't close, and there are more...

I've tried to be nice, but I think I've reached my breaking point. I love the car, but these issues are a bit too much. I have less than 3k miles.

I suppose I wouldn't mind as much if I received Tesla loaners but no, it's ICE after ICE for me. What happened to Elon's P100D loaner deal?

This is unfortunate but do not give up. Keep fighting. Trading one car that a manufacturer can't reliably build for another car the same manufacturer builds likely isn't necessarily the wisest of moves. :) No reason to continue to be nice, you paid a lot of money for a car you expect to be free of defects and you didn't get that. Give 'em hell... :) Also, you can reach out to @JonMc here who may be able to help you more directly.

Jeff

I had to bring my car in 4 times to fix the FWD detecting phantom objects, when under direct sunlight here in SoCal, even for just 3 minutes. And yes because the front door depends on the FWD sensor it only opens a tiny bit when the fault occurs.

I am not sure if yours has to do with heat but if it is, there is actually a fix as mine is finally fixed.

Forgive me asking the obvious question. When U scheduled the service, did U request a Tesla loaner car? I had 2 services so far. I always got a Tesla loaner.

Of course, if U want immediate service, you most likely won't get one. If you schedule a week or 2 ahead, you have a better chance

I had to bring my car in 4 times to fix the FWD detecting phantom objects, when under direct sunlight here in SoCal, even for just 3 minutes. And yes because the front door depends on the FWD sensor it only opens a tiny bit when the fault occurs.

I am not sure if yours has to do with heat but if it is, there is actually a fix as mine is finally fixed.

Direct sunlight is the culprit many times. That and heat just screws with the sensors.

Forgive me asking the obvious question. When U scheduled the service, did U request a Tesla loaner car? I had 2 services so far. I always got a Tesla loaner.

Of course, if U want immediate service, you most likely won't get one. If you schedule a week or 2 ahead, you have a better chance

I did ask for a Tesla loaner. The first time they were very upfront about possibly (read most definitely) receiving an ICE loaner. The latest time it was supposed to be Tesla loaner until I showed up. I saw a Tesla loaner sitting in the parking lot and the advisor claimed that the car had a sensor issue (go figure) and I had to take a Hertz ICE. Only problem is that they had at least 4 other Hertz rentals ready to go to the next appointments.

The loaner thing isn't that big of a deal... though like I said before, it does make service visits less painful if I get a comparable car. I'm paying interest, insurance, and depreciation on a Tesla to have it sit in a service center. In its place, I get a used and abused $35k QX60 instead of my new $100k+ Tesla. At the third and fourth visit to the SC, it's starting to bug me. Especially when I've only had the car for 5 months.

Direct sunlight is the culprit many times. That and heat just screws with the sensors.

I did ask for a Tesla loaner. The first time they were very upfront about possibly (read most definitely) receiving an ICE loaner. The latest time it was supposed to be Tesla loaner until I showed up. I saw a Tesla loaner sitting in the parking lot and the advisor claimed that the car had a sensor issue (go figure) and I had to take a Hertz ICE. Only problem is that they had at least 4 other Hertz rentals ready to go to the next appointments.

The loaner thing isn't that big of a deal... though like I said before, it does make service visits less painful if I get a comparable car. I'm paying interest, insurance, and depreciation on a Tesla to have it sit in a service center. In its place, I get a used and abused $35k QX60 instead of my new $100k+ Tesla. At the third and fourth visit to the SC, it's starting to bug me. Especially when I've only had the car for 5 months.
Ok then yes, they can fix it. I went in for 4 times of this issue and they finally got engineering involved to get this resolved. They almost replaced the entire FWD. I was going to file lemon law if they couldn't fix it. Good luck.

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 9.45.26 AM.png

My April 2017 build also has the same issue and at this point I'm pretty confident it's related to heat/sun as I've never noticed the problem in cool/cloudy days. In my case, this only affects the passenger-side FWD, driver-side is working perfectly. I plan to take it to the SC at some point for them to look into it.

One thing to keep in mind is that you want to bring in the car when there's actually heat so they can replicate it. When I initially brought it in earlier this year they couldn't even replicate it because of cloudy / cooler days. It wasn't until in May they could replicate it consistently.

Reactions: Yoonoo

I am also in Annapolis and had the same issue. As posted above they do know how to fix the issues and I recently had my FWDs' fixed and working great now, even in direct sun light. If you PM me I can tell you exactly what I did that got a response in days and resolved ASAP including a Model S loaner (I had multiple issues as well). In fact they brought the Model S to me and dropped it off. You need to go to Rockville SC as they just fixed mine a month ago and they know what to do. Took 10 months to get my X completely sorted out. I had discussion over the last week about trading mine in (I still have one nagging issue) on an inventory X (great deal on that one) and my biggest concern is having issues again and the frustration in getting the issues resolved. The MD Lemon law is your friend.

I am also in Annapolis and had the same issue. As posted above they do know how to fix the issues and I recently had my FWDs' fixed and working great now, even in direct sun light. If you PM me I can tell you exactly what I did that got a response in days and resolved ASAP including a Model S loaner (I had multiple issues as well). In fact they brought the Model S to me and dropped it off. You need to go to Rockville SC as they just fixed mine a month ago and they know what to do. Took 10 months to get my X completely sorted out. I had discussion over the last week about trading mine in (I still have one nagging issue) on an inventory X (great deal on that one) and my biggest concern is having issues again and the frustration in getting the issues resolved. The MD Lemon law is your friend.
Yeah, it's still at Rockville SC. Each time they've "fixed" the issue, it creeps back up again. My wife drives the car and it drives her nuts. Sometimes it happens in a parking garage... even when I'm driving it shows there's something next to the door. This is me driving at 40mph on the beltway...

IMG_1795.JPG

Yeah, it's still at Rockville SC. Each time they've "fixed" the issue, it creeps back up again. My wife drives the car and it drives her nuts. Sometimes it happens in a parking garage... even when I'm driving it shows there's something next to the door. This is me driving at 40mph on the beltway...

View attachment 241831
Exactly what would show on my X. They should know how to fix this. One of the techs lives in Arnold. I think his name is Paul ask to speak specifically to him. He came by my office twice, once to confirm problem and once to confirm fixed. If they don't fix it search for MD lemon law and send the letters exactly as the State web site shows and you will 100% get a response. Once I sent a letter had multiple people from Tesla contact me and within a week every issue but one was taken care of.