Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD and training my children - question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

disagree

hos epi to polu
Feb 20, 2016
chicago, il
One side of the car: 6 year old in a booster opens her door before she gets out of the seat. It opens easily. Hooray!

Other side of the car: 10 year old tries to get out as the FWD is opening. It stops opening. Boo! Is it stopping because she is trying to get out while it is opening? Do passengers need to wait until the door has completed opening before they begin to exit? Or maybe the sensors are wonky? Whatever the answer, she needs to chill out anyway. Spaz.

ps: would the moderators here tolerate a running Quick Question/Quick Answer thread?

One side of the car: 6 year old in a booster opens her door before she gets out of the seat. It opens easily. Hooray!

Other side of the car: 10 year old tries to get out as the FWD is opening. It stops opening. Boo! Is it stopping because she is trying to get out while it is opening? Do passengers need to wait until the door has completed opening before they begin to exit? Or maybe the sensors are wonky? Whatever the answer, she needs to chill out anyway. Spaz.

ps: would the moderators here tolerate a running Quick Question/Quick Answer thread?

I just trained my kids to say "stay clear of the closing door" like we're on a sub way. Also I put it so they can't open the door from the back, I open it from the front control panel. My kids are 7 and 3.

I personally never let people open the FWDs from inside. The reason is simple - your passengers never know what's outside (low ceiling, adjacent cars clearance, adjacent cars' passengers getting in/out, etc.). If I know it's clear for sure then I open from the screen. Otherwise I manually open from outside and be prepared to intervene.

I don't think a person getting in/out should affect the door opening unless they touch the door. The whole strip on the bottom outside of the door is capacitive, and the door also reacts to force differences along with some other sensors that are less likely to be a factor here.

I don't think a person getting in/out should affect the door opening unless they touch the door. The whole strip on the bottom outside of the door is capacitive, and the door also reacts to force differences along with some other sensors that are less likely to be a factor here.
"capacitive", "force". You do realize that could cause damage / injury right?

The other day I was in a parking structure w/ slanted parking spaces. The FWD door opened and almost hit the side mirror of the adjacent car (to the right) if I didn't stop it by force.

"capacitive", "force". You do realize that could cause damage / injury right?

The other day I was in a parking structure w/ slanted parking spaces. The FWD door opened and almost hit the side mirror of the adjacent car (to the right) if I didn't stop it by force.

Neither of these seems related to the question asked by the original poster.

The strip at the bottom of the door should stop it with almost no force, but I wouldn't take unnecessary chances.