Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD & child in second row seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
I had a six-year-old boy riding in one of the mid-row seats today. He was trying to open the FWD next to him when we parked somewhere using the B-pillar control, and it was very unresponsive. The door would open just an inch or so at most and there were lots of beeping noises. I could completely open the door from the MCU touch panel.

Does anyone know if there is some logic in the vehicle firmware that (1) could sense that a child is sitting in the mid-row seat, and (2) limits the FWD function as a result?

Please don’t create multiple threads. It may take a second for a new thread to appear.

What FWD controls do you have, the original ‘open’ ones or the more recent button type? I’ve never seen an issue with the buttons but agree the original ones were a nightmare. I had those on a demo car and still don’t recall how they worked. No idea what design was thinking when those were created.

It may have read a long or multiple pulls on the control as instructions to stop or close?

To answer your question about seat occupancy, no. I’ve opened and closed the door with people in and out of the seats (totally empty). There’s no connection that I can see.

Please don’t create multiple threads. It may take a second for a new thread to appear.

What FWD controls do you have, the original ‘open’ ones or the more recent button type? I’ve never seen an issue with the buttons but agree the original ones were a nightmare. I had those on a demo car and still don’t recall how they worked. No idea what design was thinking when those were created.

It may have read a long or multiple pulls on the control as instructions to stop or close?

To answer your question about seat occupancy, no. I’ve opened and closed the door with people in and out of the seats (totally empty). There’s no connection that I can see.
I have the original style door controls. I give about 98% chance he pulled up and held too long, which makes it start to open, then beep, then whoever is opening it usually panics, lets go, then holds it back again repeating the beep cycle.

Pretty much everyone who's sat in my back seats has done the exact same thing.