Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FYI: Tesla Leasing Program "Happiness Guarantee"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In another X thread:

Terrible Tesla customer service

the O.P. is unhappy that Tesla won't remove the $750 option fee for "Dark Ash Wood" decor, since it's now free and their vehicle hasn't been delivered yet. Someone suggested that they lease their vehicle and then return it under the "Happiness Guarantee". I was curious how that would work, so I emailed one of my Tesla contacts to find out. Here's the text of the actual guarantee:
Happiness Guarantee.jpg

As you can see from the above, it wasn't good advice, since the person would be out their minimum $5,000 capitalized cost reduction in addition to all other fees and taxes they already paid. In California, that's about $7,200 plus 1-3 monthly lease payments. The worst part of all is anyone who exercises this can't order or take delivery of another Tesla for 6 months following the date they returned their vehicle.

I just wanted to put this out there so people who are considering leasing an X know how the "Happiness Guarantee" works.