Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

G20 countries spend $450B a year on fossil fuel subsidies, study says

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
November 14th: Join the Day of Action - #StopFundingFossils

- - - Updated - - -

So re-reading what @S'toon posted, I think the $450B number is a bit over-stated. They include "investments by state-owned companies"? Well what owner wouldn't invest in their own business? Why single out investments only by "certain" shareholders and then call that a "subsidy"? And I'll bet the "tax breaks" are no different than the "tax breaks" any other company would get, so calling it a "subsidy" sounds a bit disingenuous to me. I'm interested in the number that represents the actual, honest amount of money that these companies are given solely because they are in the fossil fuel business and that other businesses would not be eligible to receive. I'm not suggesting it's zero, but I'll bet it ain't $450B.

The other side: Terence Corcoran: The CBCs fossil fuel subsidies folly | Financial Post

That's what I thought...

11-13-2015 2-08-10 PM.jpg

I read that and wondered just how much of the $450B subsidies are just the same run-of-the-mill tax breaks that any corporation would be able to take advantage off. In other words, how much of the $450B is "above and beyond" the normal stuff and specific to the fossil fuel industry? That wasn't clear to me.

Specific to the fossil fuel industry:

Fossil fuels get global $5.3 trillion 'subsidy': IMF report - Business - CBC News

- - - Updated - - -

It’s not just what #ExxonKnew, it’s what #ExxonDid next

It’s not just what #ExxonKnew, it’s what #ExxonDid next - Climate Investigations Center

IMO a great next campaign for the environmental movement, now that Keystone has been at least temporarily stopped, should be to get these subsidies shifted to supporting clean energy, energy conservation and EV's.

I'm pretty sure that in Paris a lot of the arguments against taking action are going to be focused on lack of funds. There isn't any reason why we can't start spending the money that is currently being spent to enrich the people who are making our planet uninhabitable towards working on a solution.

http://www.americansfortaxfairness.org/files/Exon_PR_final.pdf
The first oil company subsidies were adopted a century ago. Today, oil companies are among the most profitable corporations in America, with ExxonMobil alone reporting global profits of $44.9 billion in 2012. Despite these extravagant profits, the U.S. continues to give more than $4 billion a year in tax subsidies to energy producers.

Subsidies are one of the reasons ExxonMobil has paid less than half the official U.S. corporate income tax rate of 35%. Between 2010 and 2012, ExxonMobil reported more than $30 billion of U.S. pre-tax income and paid $4.6 billion in corporate income taxes, according to its Securities and Exchange Commission filings. That’s a tax rate of just 15% compared to the official corporate tax rate of 35%. This tax subsidy cut ExxonMobil’s taxes by $6.2 billion over three years. In 2009, ExxonMobil got an even better deal when the company reported $2.5 billion in U.S profits and got a federal tax rebate of $954 million, according to Citizens for Tax Justice.

ExxonMobil had also accumulated $43 billion in offshore profits by the end of 2012, on which it paid no U.S. taxes. Nearly one-third (29 of 92) of ExxonMobil’s foreign subsidiaries are registered in tax-haven nations that impose little to no tax on corporate profits.

ExxonMobil also aggressively seeks state tax subsidies. In Louisiana, where the company operates refineries and chemical plants, it received $136 million in property tax abatements in 2011, according to Subsidy Tracker, a project of Good Jobs First. The state of Louisiana also issued more than $500 million in tax-exempt bonds on behalf of ExxonMobil...

Last edited:
IMO a great next campaign for the environmental movement, now that Keystone has been at least temporarily stopped, should be to get these subsidies shifted to supporting clean energy, energy conservation and EV's.

I'm pretty sure that in Paris a lot of the arguments against taking action are going to be focused on lack of funds. There isn't any reason why we can't start spending the money that is currently being spent to enrich the people who are making our planet uninhabitable towards working on a solution.

http://www.americansfortaxfairness.org/files/Exon_PR_final.pdf

Carrot: New york times-ev incentives

Stick: This thread

You are on the money! Now make sure your gov does something about it...I'm doing what I can in Canada.

ps, check out my Sig...we are on the same page!

I read that and wondered just how much of the $450B subsidies are just the same run-of-the-mill tax breaks that any corporation would be able to take advantage off. In other words, how much of the $450B is "above and beyond" the normal stuff and specific to the fossil fuel industry? That wasn't clear to me.
I'm not sure that matters. For example Tesla received some subsidies for the GF. IMO that doesn't mean that we should pay similar subsidies to wealthier companies to help them destroy the environment. We should charge them more to help mitigate some of the bad impacts they are having, on health for example.

In other words IMO we should NOT be trying to create a level playing field!

I'm not sure that matters. For example Tesla received some subsidies for the GF. IMO that doesn't mean that we should pay similar subsidies to wealthier companies to help them destroy the environment. We should charge them more to help mitigate some of the bad impacts they are having, on health for example.

In other words IMO we should NOT be trying to create a level playing field!
+1 and I dig your Sig...