Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GAH! Help! I'm all set to buy a 3, and then I found a used S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started out looking for a used S I could afford, that is new enough (~2016+?) to have hardware compatible with auto pilot, and failed. So, I ordered a long range AWD Autopilot 3, and it's scheduled for delivery *this Saturday*. (Yay!) Then today someone sent me info about a 2016 S 75D AWD that (maybe) I can afford. I really need help understanding realistically what the differences between these two cars would be. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

I started out looking for a used S I could afford, that is new enough (~2016+?) to have hardware compatible with auto pilot, and failed. ... should I buy this model S that just showed up?
We got a P3D+ and we are ecstatic. People love this car. Everybody who drives it has flipped out. Most are AFRAID to use more than HALF the acceleration. There are many design advantages (and of course, it's MUCH easier to park).
  • The main thing is, the Model 3 is 600 pounds lighter (4800 lbs vs. Model 3 AWD at 4200 lbs).
  • It's WAY MORE (33%+) energy efficient.
  • The battery in the S is one continuous cooling loop that snakes back and forth, meaning it can experience cooling problems because the glycol has to travel 30 feet to get cooled, whereas in the Model 3 it's many (8+) parallel loops (glycol travels only 7 feet to get cooled).
  • The cornering and performance of ALL model 3s exceeds the Model S by a wide margin.
  • Model 3 has way more comfortable seats.
  • Does that Model S have a glass sunroof?
You will be extremely happy with your model 3. But, I think you would be almost as happy with a Model S. Tesla is using the Model 3 as the design template for revising the Model S and Model X interior.

Last edited:
I started out looking for a used S I could afford, that is new enough (~2016+?) to have hardware compatible with auto pilot, and failed. So, I ordered a long range AWD Autopilot 3, and it's scheduled for delivery *this Saturday*. (Yay!) Then today someone sent me info about a 2016 S 75D AWD that (maybe) I can afford. I really need help understanding realistically what the differences between these two cars would be. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

If you want a nimble car with steering that feels alive, like a superb audio system, and don't mind a sporty suspension then the Model 3 wins hands down. If you need lots of cargo space, a hatch back, don't park in small spaces, like a really smooth ride, and want to fit a rear-facing child seat behind a tall driver then the Model S will work better for you. Range is also a consideration- I find EPA range to be a best case scenario so if you have a trip you take on a regular basis that is more than 200 miles then the Model 3 Long Range will probably make life much easier than an S 75D.

Basically I find the Model 3 to be a much better car for commuting and driving, but I find the Model S a better car for road trips and family shopping trips. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks everyone! Really awesome and helpful inputs!

Key factors are coming down to +S: storage versatility and ride quality, +3: range and (maybe??) AP sensors.

The key open question is auto pilot hardware. This S VIN has "F" in digit 10, which, based on this site, I think means the S was manufactured between 8/15 and 10/16, so probably has AP hardware 1. Does that sound right? If so, what does this imply for TACC and auto-steer now and (theoretically) eventual full autonomous driving?

We have both an S and a 3. My S, though, is a 2013, so no autopilot. I prefer the S, my husband, the 3. They're both awesome cars. Have you driven both yet? As mentioned by others, the 3 is sportier, great for parking or driving in a city like SF, when I visit there. But the S has so much space, which I like. I have put so many larger items in there that it always amazes me the space I have. I just like a roomier car. I have a sunroof, too, which the 3s don't offer. The interior is more luxury, also, in the S. Either way, you're going to have pros and cons. You'll need to evaluate your needs. And, yes, range is important, too, if you drive long distances much. I have an 85, and that's been fine for me. I've had my S since '13 and still love it! Autopilot is great but not essential for me.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I had a few Model S while my car was in service. Only thing nice about the S was the P85D because it was fast. If both cars was the same price I would still choose the 3.

Model 3 Pros:
  • Size, easy to park, easy to turn, very agile, sporty (Model 3 felt like a huge boat and turned like a boat)
  • Coil Suspension, very reliable (one Model S I was driving had 300miles and the air suspension on the front left was weak -same as the P85D which had both weak front suspensions)
  • Interior cup holder and pockets everywhere (Model S had no places for trash and kids' toys)
  • One center screen (I couldn't see any of the dash in the Model S because I like my steering wheel as low as possible and my hands on the top)
  • Narrower seats (Model S everyone in the family was sliding around -maybe cloth would be better in the S)
  • Seat belt buckles (Model 3 sucks in the rear when using a booster seat, but the Model S sucks even worst. The seatbelt buckle is actually under the booster seat in a Model S)
  • More efficient (192 kWh in a Model 3 vs 295 kWh in a Model S)
  • Interior felt bigger (Model S is bigger but I felt cramped due to the small front windshield and lower roof
  • Smaller steering wheel (Model S felt like a boat)
  • UI (but Model S will be updated)

Model S Pros:
  • Auto hatchback was nice
  • Speed if you have a P85D
  • Key Fob (Summon is useless and slow on the Model 3 - I used summon on Model S all the time)
  • Glass roof is better at keeping the heat out (Model 3 uses different glass and it's much hotter than the S)
  • The Looks - I like it Wide and Low (Model 3 is a bubble and looks like a Prius)
  • Frunk is thicker so easier to handle
  • More space when you fold down the back seat sStill too short for me to sleep in it but more room than the 3)
  • Free Supercharging (I used it twice just for fun on the Model S and none in the Model 3 yet because I don't need it - maybe only need Supercharger once/twice a year for trips to SF)

I think you should test drive both and then make up your mind. Maybe you'll like the S more than the 3. Tesla showrooms offers Model 3, S, and X test drives now. Take Acceleration out of the equation and put all vehicles on Chill Mode because Tesla will put you in a P3D which is blazing fast.

Thanks everyone for the really helpful inputs. The best article I found on this is here - great write up and a super feature comparison table. I've decided I'm going to try to buy the S, but I doubt they'll take what I'll be able to offer, so I'll (very happily!) buy the 3.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Thanks everyone for the really helpful inputs. The best article I found on this is here - great write up and a super feature comparison table. I've decided I'm going to try to buy the S, but I doubt they'll take what I'll be able to offer, so I'll (very happily!) buy the 3.
I'm in the same boat as you - would love to get the 3 (and am waiting patiently) but part of me is really thinking about a CPO S -- i have 3 kids, one in booster and one in a forward facing car seat and am a little worried about packing all of them in plus all their stuff. Trouble with the CPO S is that they are no longer reconditioning them so I'm nervous about just trusting the blurrycam pictures they dropbox to you.

I'm assuming any CPO S will require a real detailing and will have some paint defects / scratches. Does anyone here have an idea how much that stuff might cost to fix? Figure a good detailing will be $300-400?

The key open question is auto pilot hardware. This S VIN has "F" in digit 10, which, based on this site, I think means the S was manufactured between 8/15 and 10/16, so probably has AP hardware 1. Does that sound right? If so, what does this imply for TACC and auto-steer now and (theoretically) eventual full autonomous driving?

AP1 would be TACC + Auto-steer. What you see is what you get. I would not expect any significant future enhancements.

Have you seen the car? AP1 would only have windshield camera. AP2+ would have cameras on the fenders & b-pillars too.