Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Game Controllers - Latest Update 2023.26

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 MYLR - Has anyone had any success connecting a PS4 or XBox wireless controller to their car with the latest update installed? I have tried both Xbox and PS4 without success. The Xbox is not seen at all, the PS4 is found and registered as a controller but will not connect. I wondered if it may be because their are no current games that require a controller?

I am using my XBOX One controller (Model 1708) over Bluetooth. It took a few tries to get it to appear in the Bluetooth menu, but now it connects without issue. Big win for when I have my kids in the car!

I'm connecting to a 23 M3RWD, Version: 2023.26.7

Steps I took:

Hit the car icon to access the car menu and then click on the Bluetooth icon:
IMG_0734.png

This will bring up the Bluetooth menu. Click Add New Device (make sure the controller is in pairing mode)
IMG_0732.png

Once it's connected, the car should remember it. I leave mine in the car; as soon as I push on the XBOX logo, it auto-connects.

IMG_0731.png

Here is the model number from the controller I am using.
IMG_0733.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have my series S/X controller connected via 8bitdo. Tried it with Bluetooth and it's a no show when scanning. My spare ps4 controller died and I would prefer a PS4 controller simply for the size (though I prefer the Xbox ergonomics better in general). The PS5 controller seems bigger so I'd rather not and since I don't have a pS5 yet, I'm not inclined to just go out and buy one as it doesn't seem to be guaranteed.

I assume this should work on my 2018 as it shows in my release notes, but I haven't seen anything confirming anyone with a 2018 had gotten it to work yet. Blancmik seems to be the only one to get it to work at all...I'll try my PS4 controller later wit potion another one up of it works.

Upvote 0
Not all Xbox controllers support Bluetooth. And then some support classic Bluetooth and others support Bluetooth low energy. Depends on the hardware version of the xbox controller. I believe Tesla is using Bluetooth classic rather than BLE, so there will be a subset of xbox controllers that work.

Upvote 0
Here is a wrinkle, same PS4 controller paired but did not connect on my wife’s M3, but it worked flawlessly on my MY. I tried first in her car and then I figured I would try on mine, with no hope at all… but it worked.
Both cars are on the same SW release.🤷

Upvote 0
I got the PS4 Controller to connect and it worked, however it will not charge via any of the USB-C Ports. The only port that would charge the controller is the glovebox's USB-A port, which also supports data transfer. I read that the PS4 Controller will only charge via data transfer ports, which is a shame. Any alternatives?

Upvote 0
I tried two cheap switch pro clones they both work fine but unlike the real pro controller (I tried my sons). The buttons are off. B is a. A is b and x is y. Both controllers are the same. For under 20 bucks I don’t know that it’s a huge deal but has anyone had any other luck?

Upvote 0