Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gaps on interior falcon wing door panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
I have large gaps between the interior panel on each falcon wing door and the door body. They look like this, and collect dirt from my gravel driveway. Does everyone else see the same on theirs?

IMG_2100.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: KZKZ
Wow! Ohmman I am impressed with your ability to remain clam. With the issues you listed (other posts included) - I would be so angry (or so crushed) I would get rid of the car. I love my model S - it has been flawless. I want an X but I will need to wait until things get sorted out.

I have large gaps between the interior panel on each falcon wing door and the door body. They look like this, and collect dirt from my gravel driveway. Does everyone else see the same on theirs?

View attachment 184105

Here are pics front and rear view. The sides are flush and small gap at the bottom front. However, this part of the trim is inside the door weather molding, so nothing gets inside.
20160706_205513[1].jpg
20160706_205546[1].jpg
20160706_205546[1].jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
I believe its the front side with no weatherstripping that has the gap. You can stick your finger into the gap at the corner. It looks to me more like a design error where the contour of the plastic panel does not match the metal panel.

Those of you with tight panels, can you post photos? Many thanks.
Ohmman, I took another look. There is a rubber seal on the read side of the door panel. Could yours be missing? Check my second photo, you can see its edge just beyond the "close" button. I also checked the mounting -- they are typical automotive "snap" in place panels for access. Hope this helps.

@elguapo - March 2016.

I think you're all probably right - the panel is just a poorly designed panel that doesn't fit well. I'm curious to see what @NovemberXray has to show, since he said it's very well fitted without gaps. My panels don't follow the contours of the front of the door all the way to the top.

I do have that weird single piece of weatherstripping on the rear of the door, and it doesn't look as bad there. It almost seems like a piece that wrapped the entire door would solve (or at least hide) this issue.

@ohmman Here's pictures of mine. Seems to fit pretty darn good. Maybe they just need to replace your interior panel? I can only presume that perhaps they only put that extra section of weather stripping on the back part due to additional spray from the rear wheels when driving in the rain?

IMG_0230.jpgIMG_0231.jpgIMG_0232.jpgIMG_0233.jpg

Correction. I just wasn't looking in the right place I guess... The front bottom corner of the FWD does have a cap, pretty much just the radius portion at the corner, and it's just wide enough to insert my finger... Seems like it should have the same rubber gasket that's at the back! Not sure if it's as big as @ohmman, but it's definitely there, not sure if it's an issue or not yet.