TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gaps on interior falcon wing door panels

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ohmman, Jul 5, 2016.

1. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I have large gaps between the interior panel on each falcon wing door and the door body. They look like this, and collect dirt from my gravel driveway. Does everyone else see the same on theirs?

IMG_2100.JPG

• Informative x 1
  2. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

Wow! Ohmman I am impressed with your ability to remain clam. With the issues you listed (other posts included) - I would be so angry (or so crushed) I would get rid of the car. I love my model S - it has been flawless. I want an X but I will need to wait until things get sorted out.

3. Heater71

Heater71 Member

Yes. Just on the corner towards the front of vehicle. Not sure if the gap is the same length as yours.

4. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

5. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

No. I had the chrome-ish piece on the side of a second row seat look popped off like that, but a little firm pushes and it re-sat just fine.

6. ohmman

Those of you with tight panels, can you post photos? Many thanks.

7. ohmman

The rear of my doors don't look as bad, but there are still gaps in them. I also find this little piece of weatherstripping to be odd.

IMG_2101.JPG

8. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

I guess I do have a bit of a gap, but not bad. And it's tight. I can't fit my finger between it, and the panel won't budge.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  9. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

Wow that picture's awful. I apologize

10. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Here are pics front and rear view. The sides are flush and small gap at the bottom front. However, this part of the trim is inside the door weather molding, so nothing gets inside. 20160706_205513[1].jpg 20160706_205546[1].jpg 20160706_205546[1].jpg

• Informative x 1
  11. ohmman

@NovemberXray, I'd love to see photos of the flush panels on your new X. Congrats, by the way!

12. elguapo

elguapo Member

I will check mine. I think I've got a bit of a gap , but not like @ohman. It's on my list of items for when I feel like taking it back to SC. I will take a look and post pics later.

13. elguapo

elguapo Member

@ohmman When was yours built again?

14. AndyW

AndyW Member

I believe its the front side with no weatherstripping that has the gap. You can stick your finger into the gap at the corner. It looks to me more like a design error where the contour of the plastic panel does not match the metal panel.

15. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Ohmman, I took another look. There is a rubber seal on the read side of the door panel. Could yours be missing? Check my second photo, you can see its edge just beyond the "close" button. I also checked the mounting -- they are typical automotive "snap" in place panels for access. Hope this helps.

16. ohmman

@elguapo - March 2016.

I think you're all probably right - the panel is just a poorly designed panel that doesn't fit well. I'm curious to see what @NovemberXray has to show, since he said it's very well fitted without gaps. My panels don't follow the contours of the front of the door all the way to the top.

I do have that weird single piece of weatherstripping on the rear of the door, and it doesn't look as bad there. It almost seems like a piece that wrapped the entire door would solve (or at least hide) this issue.

17. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

@ohmman Here's pictures of mine. Seems to fit pretty darn good. Maybe they just need to replace your interior panel? I can only presume that perhaps they only put that extra section of weather stripping on the back part due to additional spray from the rear wheels when driving in the rain?

IMG_0230.jpg IMG_0231.jpg IMG_0232.jpg IMG_0233.jpg

18. elguapo

elguapo Member

@ohmman I am 2/16 build. Don't seem to have the gap. Absurd that made it through QC

19. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

Correction. I just wasn't looking in the right place I guess... The front bottom corner of the FWD does have a cap, pretty much just the radius portion at the corner, and it's just wide enough to insert my finger... Seems like it should have the same rubber gasket that's at the back! Not sure if it's as big as @ohmman, but it's definitely there, not sure if it's an issue or not yet.