Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Auto Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would really like if my model Y would center the car and drive into the garage. Nice that my mirrors fold and homelink opens the garage door but then I have to work at centering the car and driving in. I read the manual and watched videos of summon parking in the garage. I don't feel comfortable getting out of the car and having it park itself. I wish I could engage this feature and stay behind the wheel in case something goes wrong. Does anyone know if you can do that. I thought of opening and closing the door to indicate exiting but remain in the seat.

Reactions: KenYoung1
I would really like if my model Y would center the car and drive into the garage. Nice that my mirrors fold and homelink opens the garage door but then I have to work at centering the car and driving in. I read the manual and watched videos of summon parking in the garage. I don't feel comfortable getting out of the car and having it park itself. I wish I could engage this feature and stay behind the wheel in case something goes wrong. Does anyone know if you can do that. I thought of opening and closing the door to indicate exiting but remain in the seat.

I do not have FSD on the Y. But I had summons on my 2016 Model S. Let me tell you it was soooooo careful to a point that I stopped using it and just parked myself. I trusted it 100% because if it felt there was anything it could hit, it would simply stop. So I would trust the technology at this point and get out of the car. The whole idea is that the garage is so tight that you cannot get out once it is parked :)

I do not have FSD on the Y. But I had summons on my 2016 Model S. Let me tell you it was soooooo careful to a point that I stopped using it and just parked myself. I trusted it 100% because if it felt there was anything it could hit, it would simply stop. So I would trust the technology at this point and get out of the car. The whole idea is that the garage is so tight that you cannot get out once it is parked :)

I activated it but stayed in the car. I opened and closed the door to simulate leaving but it knew I was still in the seat and would not go. I understand the idea of using it to park in a tight garage but with all that technology they should add a garage park assist so I can remain in the car, especially if it is raining.

Reactions: Gamedemon
I activated it but stayed in the car. I opened and closed the door to simulate leaving but it knew I was still in the seat and would not go. I understand the idea of using it to park in a tight garage but with all that technology they should add a garage park assist so I can remain in the car, especially if it is raining.
Here is an oldie....hang 2 or 3 tennis balls from the ceiling in the garage to help you guide it in yourself. One on either side and one for the depth in the front.

I think the summon works from the GPS in the phone to know where to go, so you would need to have the phone outside the car to operate.

Here is an oldie....hang 2 or 3 tennis balls from the ceiling in the garage to help you guide it in yourself. One on either side and one for the depth in the front.

I think the summon works from the GPS in the phone to know where to go, so you would need to have the phone outside the car to operate.
That is my plan B, but I will upgrade the tennis ball method and build a DIY laser that will activate when the door opens and send a beam down the driveway that I can center the car on. Maybe by the time I get this implemented Tesla will have a software upgrade that does a garage park assist. I have not found any place to submit suggestions to Tesla.

Reactions: im4uttx
That is my plan B, but I will upgrade the tennis ball method and build a DIY laser that will activate when the door opens and send a beam down the driveway that I can center the car on. Maybe by the time I get this implemented Tesla will have a software upgrade that does a garage park assist. I have not found any place to submit suggestions to Tesla.
Twitter @elonmusk seems to be the only way

Once you have done so can you post the details on the laser system?

Once you have done so can you post the details on the laser system?

I used a standard garage laser that I had and mounted it on the bottom of the opener. I was able to focus the laser beam out to the driveway so when I drive up to the garage I can steer into the garage with the beam hitting a spot on the car that indicates the car is centered in the doorway. Simple to setup and works fairly well. Another option would be to mount a laser pointer in the car like on the visor and then aim the beam on a target inside the garage. This would aide in keeping the car straight as it enters the garage.

IMG_5157.jpg
IMG_5160.jpg

I'm guessing you're not backing up into the garage. I found that rather easy as you can just use the side mirrors to line up the side of the vehicle to some item or marker on the back wall. And you can use the backup camera if needed. I leave about 4" of space on the passenger side (towards a work bench).

I use a tennis ball and drive in till the ball touches the windshield right ahead of my face.

However, our garage is smallish and I cannot just drive in or out straight. I need to curve in to maximize the space on the side. What I need is a way to program the ingress and egress by configuring steps like, drive at heading X till 61 inches from front wall, then turn to heading Y till 9 inches from right wall, then turn front wheels Z degrees to the left and move forward till 6 inches from wall. The Tesla has all the necessary ultrasonic sensors needed, just needs the software.