Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Closed on Trunk of my Y right after software update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the night/morning December 27/28, 2021 my Model Y did a software update (version 2021.44.25.2). At 5am, I used the switch on the wall to open the garage door. Unplugged charger. Opened trunk to put some bags in. Closed truck. Opened driver's door. When screen came on, it said software updated. Closed it. Also had message that car charged to 100% I always have it set to 85%. Slid charge bar back to 85%. Put foot on brake and waited for all test lights to go out. Put car in R. Waited a second and started to back out of garage when then was this loud noise. The garage door closed on the trunk of my car. No warnings from car obviously since door came down. Garage door sensor is low so has to catch a tire in the beam to stop door. Pulled back into garage. Looked what happened and now late for work. Backed out slowly and door stayed open. I have always kept homelink set to manual. When I drive up to the garage door I push the homelink button to open. When I back out of garage I push the homelink button to close garage door. As I was driving away from the house I manually closed the garage door. I watched it go down but did not see it close all the way. My wife called me a couple of hours later and asked why I did not close the garage door. I said I had. Went to the local Tesla service department today. They will download the logs and I have an appointment for 2 weeks. The manage said this was not a Tesla problem or homelink issue and was responsible for repairing the car. We shall see. To be continued. Anyone else seen this lately? Thanks.

Check with your neighbors:

I had the Homelink installed by Tesla Mobile Service in my new 2022 MYLR prior to the update and had problems with 2 different neighbors' garage door openers controlling my doors. I had to have my garage door openers wiped of all information

Just had a similar thing happen to me. Software update a few days ago. Returning home from a morning errand, pressed the button on screen to open the garage and started backing into the garage. Looking at a backup camera, heard a bang and saw the garage door going back up. It hit my back window! Unbelievable. Luckily no damage except for a scratch on my window.

• Informative
Reactions: buddhafree
I had a similar occurrence but was caused by me trying to swipe way the stupid Cold Weather Tips and my finger must have then touched the HomeLink button that was underneath the Weather Tip. I hope a software update fixes that ASAP. I now have a scratched rear hatch.

I had a similar occurrence but was caused by me trying to swipe way the stupid Cold Weather Tips and my finger must have then touched the HomeLink button that was underneath the Weather Tip. I hope a software update fixes that ASAP. I now have a scratched rear hatch.

Yep that Cold Weather tip is a stupid idea - the fact that it comes up EVERY TIME with no way to prevent it from turning on again. What, so 7 months of the year I have to deal with this now? It's something I would have expected from a legacy automaker, not Tesla.

On the night/morning December 27/28, 2021 my Model Y did a software update (version 2021.44.25.2). At 5am, I used the switch on the wall to open the garage door. Unplugged charger. Opened trunk to put some bags in. Closed truck. Opened driver's door. When screen came on, it said software updated. Closed it. Also had message that car charged to 100% I always have it set to 85%. Slid charge bar back to 85%. Put foot on brake and waited for all test lights to go out. Put car in R. Waited a second and started to back out of garage when then was this loud noise. The garage door closed on the trunk of my car. No warnings from car obviously since door came down. Garage door sensor is low so has to catch a tire in the beam to stop door. Pulled back into garage. Looked what happened and now late for work. Backed out slowly and door stayed open. I have always kept homelink set to manual. When I drive up to the garage door I push the homelink button to open. When I back out of garage I push the homelink button to close garage door. As I was driving away from the house I manually closed the garage door. I watched it go down but did not see it close all the way. My wife called me a couple of hours later and asked why I did not close the garage door. I said I had. Went to the local Tesla service department today. They will download the logs and I have an appointment for 2 weeks. The manage said this was not a Tesla problem or homelink issue and was responsible for repairing the car. We shall see. To be continued. Anyone else seen this lately? Thanks.
I just had the same exact thing happen to me... any updates on your side.. I cracked and took a chunk put of the sunroof

Given that Homelink is a toggle protocol that doesn’t recognize garage door state (open vs. closed), if you are using the automatic opening and closing functions you might want to consider adding a 2nd set of light beams at car body level. That way if any part of the car is in the way of the beams, the garage door will not close on it. I did this early on with my ancient garage door mechanism and it has always worked. About $35 from the local home store, and maybe 20 minutes of installation/testing. Adding the 2nd sensor set is presumably better than just raising the original set as those are supposed to be near ground level.

Reactions: teca01 and MP3Mike
I had the Homelink installed by Tesla Mobile Service in my new 2022 MYLR prior to the update and had problems with 2 different neighbors' garage door openers controlling my doors. I had to have my garage door openers wiped of all information

I have a rolling gate and it works with the Homelink installed in the Prius - meaning Homelink will work with the "old" style openers that use dipswitches instead of rolling codes

Then one day I got a new transmitter for the gate and when I pressed it, the neighbour's gate opened. When I looked inside the transmitter, the dipswitches were set to 0101010101 (or maybe it was 1010101010 - lol) meaning that alternating pattern is probably the default and perhaps a lot of people have that code still set in their equipment

...hence the development of rolling codes

And this is why I just use the cheap garage door opener clipped to my sun visor.
Well, I just chipped my trunk lip because I accidentally touched the remote button with the trunk open all the way! I’d had the Y less than 24 hours. I was just turning the remote over. I had no idea it was so sensitive. The root of my problem is my garage door is too low and has a bracket protruding downward which makes it even lower.

That's nothing! (although you do have my sympathies)

One time I had a Volvo estate (station wagon) and I'd done some work on it and needed to run it and not wanting to asphyxiate myself in the process, I pressed the button to opened the garage door.

Something started feeling really weird and it felt like the driver's seat was tipping forward. I hastily pressed the button again to stop the door from moving and stepped out to see that I'd left the tailgate open and the garage door had caught it on the way up ... it had actually started to lift the back of the car off the ground!!!!!

Fortunately it didn't cause any lasting damage, though the tailgate never really closed the same afterwards :(