Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Opener Recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate that I bought a Chamberlain. When it was just past the warranty (by 2 months) the wall plate controller became defective. It would repeatedly open and close the garage door without any cause. If you google "garage door ghost opening" you can see this is a reoccurring problem for Chamberlain. As the unit was out of warranty I had to buy a new plate which fixed the problem.

Think about that problem for a minute. Your garage door just randomly opens on its own. You have no way to know this as the unit did *not* trigger a warning to my phone via the internet app. It does not even realize that it has opened.

I will *never* buy Chamberlain again, I consider them a significant liability to have on my house.
I bought a Chamberlain recently and am happy with it. The reason I looked at Chamberlain was because of a good experience my brother had. He moved into a house which had 2 old Chamberlain openers. He found one would mysteriously open at times. He contacted Chamberlain who told him that is was probable that his old radio receiver was responding to signals from a neighbors opener. They offered to send him a complete new opener. My brother mentioned he had a second opener of the same vintage that wasn’t presently experiencing the problem. So, Chamberlain sent him 2 brand new openers to replace his which were many years old. That is exceptional customer service. YMMV.

I have the wall mounted LiftMaster (8500 series) and am very pleased.

First, toss the lousy remote lights it comes with.

Second, get the internet hub so you can use the app,

Finally, get their remote light switch so the full garage lighting goes on and off with the opener and not just one/two bulbs in the opener.

Reactions: CHGolferJim
THIS!

To say that the Tesla has an Auto-Open or Auto-Close feature is a misnomer. It has an Auto-Toggle feature due to how Homelink works. I really wish this would be fixed.
Whooo. I barely missed a disaster today. I got home and my X opened the garage door. I parked the car outside to talk to our gardener for a bit. Then backed my car up the driveway. As I was pulling into the garage I noticed the garage door judder and change directions. The door automatically closed just as I was driving toward it and I never noticed. Luckily I broke the beam before the door got down too far.

66D4772B-E20F-408C-801F-5F7D24D06E0B.png
Which model switch is this?

Right now I have a simple motion detection switch. It works pretty well.

The switch from liftmaster. Talks to their hub and App.

Attachments

• 856D4897-5ABB-4973-9D88-93ED5DEF6156.png
    856D4897-5ABB-4973-9D88-93ED5DEF6156.png
    406.7 KB · Views: 75
I’ve read the various manuals, and it appears that some commercial units have up, down, and stop. It looks like the Homelink 2.0 protocol possibly supports it. My recent 3 button remotes have an option to use all three buttons this way.

I see no reference to the car supporting it.

I wonder if it would be possible to make this work with the car by using two or three different homelink slots. One for up, one for down, and maybe one for toggle.

Then set up the one that just lowers the door for auto close and set up the one that just opens the door for auto open.

I don’t know if the car would be able to learn the separate signals or not, but it would certainly be worth a try. The opener that came with my house came with a three button remote, but I’ve never actually read it’s manual. Maybe I’ll do some research and see if this is an option with my opener and play around with it.

Yes, the liftmaster switch communicates wirelessly to the hub. You can see the light status (on/off) in the app and turn them on and off manually using the button on the switch or the button in the app. The opener will trigger them to turn on automatically

I bought a Chamberlain recently and am happy with it. The reason I looked at Chamberlain was because of a good experience my brother had. He moved into a house which had 2 old Chamberlain openers. He found one would mysteriously open at times. He contacted Chamberlain who told him that is was probable that his old radio receiver was responding to signals from a neighbors opener. They offered to send him a complete new opener. My brother mentioned he had a second opener of the same vintage that wasn’t presently experiencing the problem. So, Chamberlain sent him 2 brand new openers to replace his which were many years old. That is exceptional customer service. YMMV.

So you have a product that you *know* has a serious flaw. Googling the problem would tell you quickly that this is a systemic and common problem with extremely bad results. Yet because the company sent free replacements (that still have the same known issue) you went and purchased that product? That's pretty silly.

As a side note, when I called and talked to them the customer service I received was "Yes we are aware of this issue as an ongoing problem and sorry but your unit is almost 2 months out of warranty so we can sell you a replacement wall unit". Terrible customer service. I repeat my earlier stance, NOBODY should EVER purchase their products.

So you have a product that you *know* has a serious flaw. Googling the problem would tell you quickly that this is a systemic and common problem with extremely bad results. Yet because the company sent free replacements (that still have the same known issue) you went and purchased that product? That's pretty silly.

As a side note, when I called and talked to them the customer service I received was "Yes we are aware of this issue as an ongoing problem and sorry but your unit is almost 2 months out of warranty so we can sell you a replacement wall unit". Terrible customer service. I repeat my earlier stance, NOBODY should EVER purchase their products.
The known problem was on a very old (20 year?) opener. Openers changed how they sent signals during that time. I assumed the problem was fixed. In fact, my brother has not had problems with his new opener, nor have I.

FINALLY! Getting the 8500 installed today :)

So from what I've read sounds like I need to go to the LM site and buy a hub so can control it via an app? Any other accessories I should procure? Might as well pay shipping just once.

Hmmm, ok, which internet should I get?
LM.JPG

Last edited:
The one on the right (821LM) allows control of any garage door opener, so you don’t need that with your new liftmaster unit. You can use one of the two on the left.

The second from the left (819LMB) will allow you to control your garage door opener through the app and also with Siri if you have an iPhone (“hey Siri, open the garage door”). The one on the left (828LM) will allow control just through the app. If you don’t have an iPhone or do have an iPhone but don’t care about Apple HomeKit or Siri Control then get the 828LM.

If you have an iPhone and want Siri and Apple HomeKit Control in addition to the app, then get the 819LMB

The one on the right (821LM) allows control of any garage door opener, so you don’t need that with your new liftmaster unit. You can use one of the two on the left.

The second from the left (819LMB) will allow you to control your garage door opener through the app and also with Siri if you have an iPhone (“hey Siri, open the garage door”). The one on the left (828LM) will allow control just through the app. If you don’t have an iPhone or do have an iPhone but don’t care about Apple HomeKit or Siri Control then get the 828LM.

If you have an iPhone and want Siri and Apple HomeKit Control in addition to the app, then get the 819LMB

Cool. 819LMB it is. Now anyone have a discount code I can use on the LM site?

I have the chamberlain myq and I like how it's very easy to install. But I think its extreme dependence to the internet is a problem.
I agree. I just went through a 35 hour power failure. I have back up power but Comcast's battery backup on the poles expired after a couple of hours and that was the end of the internet. My Wemo switches became manual switches. My app connection to the generator was gone so I couldn't monitor it.