Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door opener remote visor placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Noflash

Aug 11, 2020
Denver
Listings
So... the standard Chamberlain garage remote clip was not designed with Tesla's curved visors in mind. The clip dug into the visor and didn't stay put at first. I've bent it to match the shape of the visor a little better. It seems to work for a while, but then loosens and falls off whenever someone puts the visor down. I put a little sticker on the inside of the visor and it provides a little traction, but is no answer.

Solutions that don't cost hundreds of dollars?

PXL_20230920_215454099.jpg

PXL_20230920_215520897.jpg

Reactions: fsb1
You can slide off the metal bracket, then attach the remote opener to the back of the screen with Velcro. Others place the remote inside the door pocket.

I have a Lift Master garage door opener. The remote it stays in place using the clip on the visor.

Reactions: Noflash
Personally, I'd just buy the part for the car or the subscription. It has the advantage of not being able to get stolen (along with your address info) if someone breaks into your car. But behind the screen should be less common for a thief.

Do you know a Chamberlain garage door opener works with the car? IIRC, it‘s free for the first 60 days then $50 a year.
I don't.
Personally, I'd just buy the part for the car or the subscription. It has the advantage of not being able to get stolen (along with your address info) if someone breaks into your car. But behind the screen should be less common for a thief.
Which part?

Never leave the registration or other identifying documents (even US mail) in the vehicle.
I agree, but it happens. It's also a risk if parking the car in the driveway. It always bugged me that our Acura and Nissan door opener buttons worked with the car was off.
Which part?

Do you know a Chamberlain garage door opener works with the car? IIRC, it‘s free for the first 60 days then $50 a year.
It's the MyQ app, so you need a compatible opener. They were giving a free adapter if you bought the subscription, though. It works pretty well, once you get used to steadying you hand to hit the small "Open" tab on the screen while driving up. It also beeps before closing 90% of the time, at least for me.

I'm not sure if the 2023 Model 3, Model Y will work with the optional Home Link module. Chamberlin now offers MyQ for Tesla as a subscription service.

Another third party option, reasonably priced, is Tailwind. Tailwind is wired into your garage door opener motor/receiver unit. Tailwind includes a door open/close sensor so that the Tailwind system always knows the state of the garage door. You use your phone to communicate with the Tailwind receiver. iPhone users need to place a small BT tag in each vehicle that will use the Tailwind function. Tailwind will automatically open the garage door as you drive up and close the garage door as you drive away. Android phone users do not need to use the BT tag. (You still need to manually open the garage door when leaving home and close the garage door after you park in the home garage.)

My garage door opener automation consists of: A) One inside garage, wired control panel for door and light; B) External key pad; C) Car remote control placed on Tesla Model Y visor; D) MyQ app (not subscription) to manually open and close the garage door from any remote location.

I have a '23 MY, no parts were required.

Chamberland works on software called MyQ. Assume you put it on your phone when the garage door opener was installed? It gives a unique sound on your phone when the GDO is opened, closed or left open. You can also open/close the GDO from anywhere you have internet access. Nice when the neighbor called saying there was a lot of packages on the porch; "It looks like Walmart." I opened the GDO and he put everything in the garage.

With MyQ on your car it opens and closes the GDO when your near using a proximity sensor. It doesn't work 5% of the time so keep a remote in your car or use your phone. When your coming home and about 200' from you GDO the car makes a tone and on the Tesla screen it will say GDO will open in 50'. The nice thing, is it knows if the GDO is already open.

Same when you back out of your garage. Tesla makes a tone. The screen says the GDO will close in 30'. Of course you have the option to hit cancel.

IIRC it's free for 60 days so give it a try.

Chamberland works on software called MyQ. Assume you put it on your phone when the garage door opener was installed? It gives a unique sound on your phone when the GDO is opened, closed or left open. You can also open/close the GDO from anywhere you have internet access. Nice when the neighbor called saying there was a lot of packages on the porch; "It looks like Walmart." I opened the GDO and he put everything in the garage.

With MyQ on your car it opens and closes the GDO when your near using a proximity sensor. It doesn't work 5% of the time so keep a remote in your car or use your phone. When your coming home and about 200' from you GDO the car makes a tone and on the Tesla screen it will say GDO will open in 50'. The nice thing, is it knows if the GDO is already open.

Same when you back out of your garage. Tesla makes a tone. The screen says the GDO will close in 30'. Of course you have the option to hit cancel.

It's 30 days now, as I just completed my trial and purchased the subscription. We do not use the automatic open/close feature, since we don't always need that function. I agree, the OP should try it if they already have a compatible Chamberlain.

So... the standard Chamberlain garage remote clip was not designed with Tesla's curved visors in mind. The clip dug into the visor and didn't stay put at first. I've bent it to match the shape of the visor a little better. It seems to work for a while, but then loosens and falls off whenever someone puts the visor down. I put a little sticker on the inside of the visor and it provides a little traction, but is no answer.

Solutions that don't cost hundreds of dollars?

View attachment 976130
View attachment 976131
I just mount mine on the end of the visor, to the left of where you have your remote mounted.

It's 30 days now, as I just completed my trial and purchased the subscription. We do not use the automatic open/close feature, since we don't always need that function. I agree, the OP should try it if they already have a compatible Chamberlain.
I do have MyQ and use the app on my phone. I've held off on connecting to the car as AI works for me like 10% of the time. I really don't want a machine guessing when I want the garage opening or shutting. And if I'm not using that feature, I'm just paying to make the button smaller and touchscreen, right? My big, old hands work about 80% on the first try on touchscreens. If there's a real benefit, I'm not against paying but I haven't seen it yet. I love my car, but I do miss buttons and knobs.

I do have MyQ and use the app on my phone. I've held off on connecting to the car as AI works for me like 10% of the time. I really don't want a machine guessing when I want the garage opening or shutting. And if I'm not using that feature, I'm just paying to make the button smaller and touchscreen, right? My big, old hands work about 80% on the first try on touchscreens. If there's a real benefit, I'm not against paying but I haven't seen it yet. I love my car, but I do miss buttons and knobs.
No AI with MyQ. LOL It did take about a week to figure out how to secure my hand on the top of the screen, in order to easily activate the door button/tab. You have nothing to lose by just taking the free trial. They don't ask for any payment method until after it ends.

• Helpful