Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door opener (Tesla Model 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Everyone.
I am trying to play around with a distance when garage door starts to open up automatically.
Changed from 15m - to 6m and didn't see much difference.

The door starts to lift only when the car is 3 meters away.

Did I do something wrong or it's the way it supposed to be?

Thanks!

How? By selling my house? :)

It’s in the home link settings, you can reset the position associated with the opener.

I had trouble with the auto open and close when I first got my Model 3. I eventually found a GPS position and distance that worked most of the time. However I ran into a few times where the garage door would almost close while my car was driving in and out of the garage since it’s the same signal for both opening and closing. So since I couldn’t rely on the garage door not accidentally smacking into my Model 3 I turned the auto open setting off.

It’s in the home link settings, you can reset the position associated with the opener.

I had trouble with the auto open and close when I first got my Model 3. I eventually found a GPS position and distance that worked most of the time. However I ran into a few times where the garage door would almost close while my car was driving in and out of the garage since it’s the same signal for both opening and closing. So since I couldn’t rely on the garage door not accidentally smacking into my Model 3 I turned the auto open setting off.

So I don’t have my M3 yet, but am I just crazy to think that this feature will be dangerous?

Seriously, a door even going up unexpectedly could be dangerous to kids of objects, much less going down...

I feel like actuating a door like that should require positive human input.

So I don’t have my M3 yet, but am I just crazy to think that this feature will be dangerous?

Seriously, a door even going up unexpectedly could be dangerous to kids of objects, much less going down...

I feel like actuating a door like that should require positive human input.

You should have the option of manually activating Homelink from your car. It even drops down the button for it from the Homelink tab on the X. Not sure how that translates for the 3.

It also drops down and gives you a distance countdown before it opens automatically (and lets you hit a Skip button). I can watch that and make sure I'm not opening the community guard gate for the car in front of me. I used to have to hit the Skip button when exiting, but careful adjustment of the trigger location and distance setting eliminated that problem.

Plenty of options.

I went to my Model 3 and checked out Home Link settings. I don't see the option to change a GPS position or you meant something else?

You should have the option of manually activating Homelink from your car. It even drops down the button for it from the Homelink tab on the X. Not sure how that translates for the 3.

It also drops down and gives you a distance countdown before it opens automatically (and lets you hit a Skip button). I can watch that and make sure I'm not opening the community guard gate for the car in front of me. I used to have to hit the Skip button when exiting, but careful adjustment of the trigger location and distance setting eliminated that problem.

Plenty of options.

Works the same way on the 3

My problem is Model 3 can’t distinguish between open and close. If park outside of garage door and garage door is closed, when I drive away the garage door will be opened. This is not good , so I turned it off.

Yep, one of the reasons I turned it off as well. Too bad that most garage door openers don’t have discrete codes for opening and closing.

I’ve got a Z-wave home controller that does most of the lights in my house. I’m sure if I got one of the garage door sensors and a relay I could just have my controller close the garage door when it detects my phone leaving the geofence around my house. This would be so much more reliable.

My problem is Model 3 can’t distinguish between open and close. If park outside of garage door and garage door is closed, when I drive away the garage door will be opened. This is not good , so I turned it off.

It is not Model 3 specific problem. I have Homelink in all my cars for a while, it is just like garage opener remote. There are no discrete signals to open and close, neither there is any status.

It happend few times where garage is open, and car sent signal again and door started closing. But again I felt not a big deal as the opener icon is right at the top and can be clicked easily.

I wish app like Chamberlane MyQ can be linked to M3 to know the door status and send signal appropriately.

Last edited:
It is not Model 3 specific problem. I have Homelink in all my cars for a while, it is just like garage opener remote. There are no discrete signals to open and close, neither there is any status.

It happend to few times where garage is open, and car sent signal again and door started closing. But again I felt not a big deal as the opener icon right the top and can be clicked easily.

I wish app like Chamberlane MyQ can be linked to M3 to know the door status and send links appropriately.

Exactly, MyQ knows my garage door status.