Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the GPS-enabled Homelink. If my Model 3 didn't come with it I would pay $300 to have it installed.
Many of us did.

Here's how I explained it to my wife as we were deciding whether to get it or not (note that we already had it on the S so we could easily compare with vs without)... "It will perturb me EVERY ONE OF THE ESTIMATED 14,000X I have to press the button if we don't get it."

It's well worth the $0.02 per avoided press to me.

Oh for crying out loud that's what keeps you up at night? Registration with home address too? Um, yeah, that is legally required to keep in every car in the country. There are many ways to find out who lives at addresses. It's public information.
If someone steals the clip and registration with Sentry mode on I will gladly let that one play out lol. I have a full security system at my house too. I feel pretty safe. Though what if someone breaks into the car and steals the Sentry mode USB drive???????? Oh the horror.

A. seeing how this exact scenario has happened to me before, yeah it used to be on my mind from time to time.
B. it is no longer law in my state (wa) to have the registration in the vehicle. Photos suffice (do some research before responding like you know what you are talking about and being rude, just to be rude)
C. I am just saying why I got mine. You don't have to buy it, I won't lose any sleep if you don't. Have fun relying on Sentry Mode for everything. When you bring the video of someone with a hood on in the middle of the night, it will be interesting to see what the police can actually do lol
D. Security system is always a good option. Hope it all works out for you

Last edited:
A. seeing how this exact scenario has happened to me before, yeah it used to be on my mind from time to time.
B. it is no longer law in my state (wa) to have the registration in the vehicle. Photos suffice (do some research before responding like you know what you are talking about and being rude, just to be rude)
C. I am just saying why I got mine. You don't have to buy it, I won't lose any sleep if you don't. Have fun relying on Sentry Mode for everything. When you bring the video of someone with a hood on in the middle of the night, it will be interesting to see what the police can actually do lol
D. Security system is always a good option. Hope it all works out for you

What does have fun with Sentry mode have to do with anything? I drive into my driveway, quickly press the button, enter the garage, park car, shut garage. I still can't believe that I press the button EVERY time I open the door. It's incredible dedication.

Yup sorry I didn't research all 50 states before posting. That was a reckless 2 second thought that I had. Can you post the link to the DMV pages for all 50 states? I've been too busy pushing my garage door button to have time for anything else.

• Disagree
Reactions: Margaritaboy
Maybe this was brought up in another thread, but sometimes when I’m doing summon to back out of the garage (because i can), it triggers the garage door and the door starts to close on the car while it’s in the middle of the doorway trying to back out. I haven’t figure out the formula to recreate it, but it’s strange. Anyone else see this?

What does have fun with Sentry mode have to do with anything? I drive into my driveway, quickly press the button, enter the garage, park car, shut garage. I still can't believe that I press the button EVERY time I open the door. It's incredible dedication.

Yup sorry I didn't research all 50 states before posting. That was a reckless 2 second thought that I had. Can you post the link to the DMV pages for all 50 states? I've been too busy pushing my garage door button to have time for anything else.

LOL

Look, this really isn’t worth arguing about, and I’m not sure why you felt the need to respond in the first place on this thread if you never had the intention on getting homelink. I guess there is always one in every forum who does, so I get it. All I was doing was explaining my personal reasons for getting homelink. I am sorry that did not sit well with you enough that you felt the need to respond the way you did, but again those were MY reasons alone. Feel free to get in the last word, but I am done responding. I wish no harm on your Tesla, and if the clicker option is working with you, I hope it continues to work for you moving forward!

Maybe this was brought up in another thread, but sometimes when I’m doing summon to back out of the garage (because i can), it triggers the garage door and the door starts to close on the car while it’s in the middle of the doorway trying to back out. I haven’t figure out the formula to recreate it, but it’s strange. Anyone else see this?

This^^^^^
A perfect reason why I don't trust Tesla to take care of my garage door managing. I have indeed seen several threads about it not working. You know what works every time? Clicking a button. With multiple buttons I can open my other door too.

I’ve gone back and forth on whether Homelink is worth it for me. I appreciated having it in my last car though it wasn’t GPS aware. My current garage door opener doesn’t have a visor clip for some reason so I have to fish it out of the center console every time I leave and come back, which is annoying. And I can certainly afford the $300...

However I could, like many of you, just Velcro the opener to the back of the screen for $0 (I have Velcro pads already). That would solve the fishing problem.

Yeah, I think that’s what I’ll do for now. If it still proves to be annoying I’ll consider it again.

For what it’s worth about “worth it or not”...

I recently had it installed for the 300. I was using MyQ app from my phone, which worked about 70% of the time to close...although it seemed to 0% of the time when raining or I didn’t want to get out of the car to manually close the garage!

having it auto open as I pull up the driveway now is just a total luxury that is appreciated. One less thing to do and fumble around with in the car as I get home! Again, leaving is just a push of the button on the screen instead of clicking through phone screens, and I could NOT set up a voice command!!

yes, the clicker could work but batteries run out every now and then, and I don’t have to think about it now as I pull up the driveway.

is that worth 300 to you? There are plenty of other things that are 300, and I don’t think they are worth it though

Reactions: Kennymb5384
Ok, I'm only going to say this once, anyone who doesn't have a Homelink unit installed is a straight-up punk. So just quit it out already. Going around all day long pushing your little buttons with your little fingers..........oh, oh, open sesame........you're not fooling anyone with all that nonsense..........

• Funny
Reactions: TT97 and toolman335
It's supposed to auto open and close? Gee, can't see any issues with that setup. While I love my car and everything that goes along with it, this is a piece of technology that is both completely unnecessary and fraught with potential issues.
Give me my clipped "old school" opener on my passenger visor any day.

Agree, here's mine, mounted to the backside of the display on the driver's side. Works perfectly, never fails and completely hidden from view.

Door Opener.jpg

I owned Homelink on my first Model 3, included for "free" at the time. I liked it, it was cool, though the range wasn't as good as the normal clicker.

When I got my new Model 3, it no longer included Homelink. I would like to have it, but there's no way it's worth $300 to me. I keep a garage door clicker in the driver-side door pocket (it's the only thing I have in the pocket) and of course it's totally fine.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for Homelink and even then, it would still be a splurge for what you get.

The funny thing is that you technically don’t need any car hardware at all to open your MyQ garage door opener. Just like how you can use the phone app to open the garage, there could just be an integrated app in the car, with no HomeLink required.

I enjoy my HomeLink hardware very much in my Model 3, but, you know, it’s technically a bit redundant with a “connected” car.

Of course, no way Tesla is going to integrate this via software.

The funny thing is that you technically don’t need any car hardware at all to open your MyQ garage door opener. Just like how you can use the phone app to open the garage, there could just be an integrated app in the car, with no HomeLink required.

I enjoy my HomeLink hardware very much in my Model 3, but, you know, it’s technically a bit redundant with a “connected” car.

Of course, no way Tesla is going to integrate this via software.
MyQ via WiFi is not reliable, particularly for closing the door. Not just me, it is reported on multiple forums.

Distance of the home link module is comparable to clicker.

And clicker behind the screen is not hidden out of sight. I can see it from the outside. But that’s what makes it your car, and mine is my car!! To each’s own!
Can only offer opinion and experience for others to decide!