Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. Paranoia.

Honestly, if someone is going through that much effort to get into my garage/house, I’ll leave the keys to the safe on the table. They earned it.

I assume you don’t have that keypad outside the garage? 4-digit number to get into your house?? MADNESS? How do you sleep at night knowing someone can get in that easily! :D
Deadbolt on the door between the garage and my main house. :p

And again, I'm not even talking about the effort to get into the house (I've already conceded the point that non-internet means are at least as likely, if not more so, to work and take place). I'm talking about using internet connected gadgets for other mischief other than just getting into the house. But hey, you're not a person who follows cyber security, so I get that.

I am seeing a lot of chatter about MyQ in this thread. That is what I currently use and how I use it (And will be using it once my fiance gets a newer more reliable phone):

I have MyQ connected to Samsung SmartThings using a custom Device handler online (Link). This keeps me from needing to pay MyQ a monthly fee for using my Google Home with it and allows me to set up some custom automations. The second thing I have is ActionTiles which connects to my SmartThings and lets me create a sort of custom web page with buttons for controlling things in my home. I made a page that has the garage door on it and many other lights and stuff I wouldn't mind controlling from the car. I then bookmarked that page in the browser and now I can open and close the garage from the car without getting my remote out which I still keep in the center console in case MyQ fails to work or getting into the browser is taking too long.

My only issue right now opening the browser in my car while I reverse means I have to close out the rear view camera. Eventually I will have geofencing set up with smartthings so I can open / close the garage and run other automations when leaving and arriving. I need my fiance to upgrade her phone before I can do that though as geofencing with SmartThings does not work correctly on her phone right now.

Reactions: john94si
I know what you are talking about. My garage door opener is about 30 years old and has difficulty going down. So I am doing a research on website. It is temperamental in that most of the time it will stop halfway down and then go back up. I'm probably overdue for a new garage door opener in any event, but I don't know if I also need new springs or other parts as well. Is a new garage door opener something a handyman can install or does it require a specialized garage door repair person to accomplish this task?
With the door closed, disconnect it from the chain and try to lift the door. The door weight should be balanced by the spring - if it feels heavy you need to have a garage door repair person either tighten or replace the spring. If the springs are ok then perhaps there is something in the tracks that causes binding, and manually raising and lowering the door should identity where the door is binding. A new opener may not be necessary, but can add features like quiet belt drive, battery backup and WiFi access. A handyman should be able to install a new opener, but I would recommend that no one play with the springs unless they know exactly what they are doing. After 30 years the springs may have snapped and might not be assisting the motor with the weight of the door.

I am seeing a lot of chatter about MyQ in this thread. That is what I currently use and how I use it (And will be using it once my fiance gets a newer more reliable phone):

I have MyQ connected to Samsung SmartThings using a custom Device handler online (Link). This keeps me from needing to pay MyQ a monthly fee for using my Google Home with it and allows me to set up some custom automations. The second thing I have is ActionTiles which connects to my SmartThings and lets me create a sort of custom web page with buttons for controlling things in my home. I made a page that has the garage door on it and many other lights and stuff I wouldn't mind controlling from the car. I then bookmarked that page in the browser and now I can open and close the garage from the car without getting my remote out which I still keep in the center console in case MyQ fails to work or getting into the browser is taking too long.

My only issue right now opening the browser in my car while I reverse means I have to close out the rear view camera. Eventually I will have geofencing set up with smartthings so I can open / close the garage and run other automations when leaving and arriving. I need my fiance to upgrade her phone before I can do that though as geofencing with SmartThings does not work correctly on her phone right now.

I'm using myQ with IFTT. I only see an auto close @ X pm time option. Is there a way to geofence? (only - is my phone auto locks due to work security)

You can do an iPhone shortcut hack for MyQ.. then i use siri on my watch to open and close for no fee. Shortcut to open and close MyQ Chamberlain Garage door : shortcuts (reddit.com)

Cant recommend this enough. Almost pulled the trigger on the $300 for the Homelink but instead paid $25 for the Chamberlain unit for my Craftsman garage door opener. Now use my Apple Watch with Siri shortcuts to open and close and have the Toggle shortcut on the main screen of my iphone. Works flawless.

Cant recommend this enough. Almost pulled the trigger on the $300 for the Homelink but instead paid $25 for the Chamberlain unit for my Craftsman garage door opener. Now use my Apple Watch with Siri shortcuts to open and close and have the Toggle shortcut on the main screen of my iphone. Works flawless.

You can also use the Stats app to create a Siri shortcut to send a Homelink signal through your Tesla. Of course, that only works when your Tesla is within range of your garage door, but I would assume that is the case most of the time when one wants to open or close their garage door.

I just stuck to the basics and velcro'd my garage door opener to the back of the screen. It is hidden, simple, and easier (imo) than launching an app on my phone.

Reactions: duanra
I just stuck to the basics and velcro'd my garage door opener to the back of the screen. It is hidden, simple, and easier (imo) than launching an app on my phone.

I just did this as well. Funny though, the range is much worse than when I had it on the visor. When on the visor the range to open was about 30-50 feet. Now, when on the back of the screen, I need to be within a few feet of the door. I even moved the remote to the back top of the screen, thinking the dashboard may be blocking signal. No luck. I would prefer it opens when pulling into the driveway but I don't like the remote on the visor.

I just did this as well. Funny though, the range is much worse than when I had it on the visor. When on the visor the range to open was about 30-50 feet. Now, when on the back of the screen, I need to be within a few feet of the door. I even moved the remote to the back top of the screen, thinking the dashboard may be blocking signal. No luck. I would prefer it opens when pulling into the driveway but I don't like the remote on the visor.

I had the same issue before I made the switch to the above. The range of the remote becomes terrible behind the screen and I would have to be like 20 feet away in the driveway for it to work.

I had the same issue before I made the switch to the above. The range of the remote becomes terrible behind the screen and I would have to be like 20 feet away in the driveway for it to work.

That’s odd. Do you guys have older remotes/openers? I have the remote taped behind the screen and don’t have any issues with range. I replaced my garage door opener sometime in the last couple of years, so it’s relatively new. Lift master 8550.

That’s odd. Do you guys have older remotes/openers? I have the remote taped behind the screen and don’t have any issues with range. I replaced my garage door opener sometime in the last couple of years, so it’s relatively new. Lift master 8550.

I'm guessing mine is about 10 or so years old. It is a liftmaster professional. I don't see any sort of model number. I replaced batteries just in case that was causing an issue, but no luck. Strange.

I noticed this too, but it seems inconsistent. Sometimes it works from 100 feet away and sometimes I need to be within 20 feet. It is a brand new garage door. It must be something with the hardware inside the screen blocking the signal.

I tried extending the antennae to the garage door itself and had not much better luck. So, I decided to park about 50ft from my door and trying the remote from different positions in the car. It worked great everywhere except when I was withing 1/2 inch of the screen. Any closer and the remote would no longer work. Move it away just far enough and it worked again. Something definitely interfering with remote (in my case). So, I decided to put some space in-between the remote and the screen when attached. I quadrupled the velcro, stacking them back to back, making the remote about 1/2 inch away from the back bottom (it didn't seem to matter top or bottom with the remote at least 1/2 inch, so I opted to place at the bottom back) of the screen and it now opens and closes without issue. Fingers crossed.