Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Opener?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Outside of using your phone for something like my q I can’t think of any. I took some double sided tape, took the metal clip off my clicker, and adhered it to the inside drivers door storage pocket. Now when I get home I just press the button there. I tried putting it on the visor but it kept rattling for some reason.

Reactions: Gellie
Just spent a day trying to get MyQ to work with Siri on my wife's non-Tesla vehicle.
Will only work on one iPhone (hers) and I would have to use the MyQ app on my iPhone's home screen.
In order for Siri to work, her phone can't remain in her purse.
Seems like a clicker is the safest/fastest way to go.

I was annoyed by this missing feature as well. Then I was annoyed that the MyQ WiFi garage door opener I already had installed didn’t work with Siri. Then I found someone that created an iPhone shortcut that allows you to use Siri with MyQ without having to buy the extra HomeKit Bridge they try and make you buy. Now I just say “Hey Siri, open the garage” and it works.

Reactions: JimmySure
It’s totally worth it. I don’t want a clicker sitting on my visor in the car that’s just silly.
I debated for about a month. I have 2 clickers, one for my garage doors and one for my community gate, so there's that too.
The only disappointment is that they used the Homelink delete as a cost reduction method. That said, many other mfg's base model 'luxury' cars do not come with the Homelink included either. I had a Kia Stinger premium that came with all the bells and whistles, but my neighbor bought the non premium model only to find out there was no Homelink. $1200 to upgrade the mirror to Homelink in their car.
$325 for Tesla Homelink installed is not a big number.

I debated for about a month. I have 2 clickers, one for my garage doors and one for my community gate, so there's that too.
The only disappointment is that they used the Homelink delete as a cost reduction method. That said, many other mfg's base model 'luxury' cars do not come with the Homelink included either. I had a Kia Stinger premium that came with all the bells and whistles, but my neighbor bought the non premium model only to find out there was no Homelink. $1200 to upgrade the mirror to Homelink in their car.
$325 for Tesla Homelink installed is not a big number.
You can program up to 3 devices with the Tesla home link 👍

Reactions: Destiny1701
When I bought the Homelink Module for my MRLR back in May, it was only $300. It has since gone up by $50 bucks. I would still buy it again if needed on another Tesla. The unit works great and can do automatic opening and closing based on GPS location and distance. You Park outside your garage door and teach the unit that that is "Home". You can then set an auto opening or closing distance(in feet) it warns you just before it does any automatic action and gives you a chance to "skip" that action say for instance if your door was already open.
Ive been using this since my car was delivered.(they installed it at delivery for me in about 10 minutes)and it has worked flawlessly. it has much better range than any garage door remote that I have ever owned. I think this is because the module is located just behind the nose of the car.
anyway, its well worth the $$

More than I want to spend when my garage door belongs to the condo building, and when I have a second opener for my cottage garage ;) There are other Tesla toys I'll spend my money on.
I don't understand your rationalization. Your condo owns the garage door so you don't want a built in clicker on your car to open it? it's not like you have to hand over your Homelink to the condo when/if you move. You take it with you and reprogram it for your new location. And you could also program one of the other 2 available 'buttons' to open your cottage garage door. I do understand you don't think the value is worth the price, but just say you'd rather have two clickers on your visor rather than an 'expensive' integrated solution.
I'll spend the money on a integrated 'clicker' that cannot be stolen from my car along with my registration/insurance card with my home address on it. I'll rationalize the cost as a security investment.

I don't understand your rationalization. Your condo owns the garage door so you don't want a built in clicker on your car to open it? it's not like you have to hand over your Homelink to the condo when/if you move. You take it with you and reprogram it for your new location. And you could also program one of the other 2 available 'buttons' to open your cottage garage door. I do understand you don't think the value is worth the price, but just say you'd rather have two clickers on your visor rather than an 'expensive' integrated solution.
I'll spend the money on a integrated 'clicker' that cannot be stolen from my car along with my registration/insurance card with my home address on it. I'll rationalize the cost as a security investment.
Well put. I, too, balked at spending the extra money on a silly garage door opener. Then i said screw it, ordered it and never looked back. It simply just another totally awesome, seemless, excellent Tesla product that i won’t ever go back to using my clicker. Why do they not include this with the car? Because they don’t have to, they know they’ll make a ridiculous profit margin from a control box that prob costs $.13 cents to make. Buy it or don’t buy it, Tesla could give a rats a$$..