Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Opener?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think he means that multiple cars cannot use Homelink (the auto-open, auto-close) without paying for another full install (or another Homelink module). Tailwind allows you to have multiple cars with the auto-open/close feature. If you have an Android you have it without any extra cost, and with an iPhone, just with the addition of a $10 vehicle sensor per car.
Samori understands what I was trying to say. Tailwind package ($65) is the one I got and with my Android phone, it will work on all 3 of my cars without paying anything more. Auto-open upon arrival of my home.

Reactions: samori01
I think he means that multiple cars cannot use Homelink (the auto-open, auto-close) without paying for another full install (or another Homelink module). Tailwind allows you to have multiple cars with the auto-open/close feature. If you have an Android you have it without any extra cost, and with an iPhone, just with the addition of a $10 vehicle sensor per car.
Homelink can be programmed for a second, third location such a gate or garage for a vacation home.

Reactions: 73Bruin
Homelink can be programmed for a second, third location such a gate or garage for a vacation home.
Yes, you are indeed correct. However, it still is all in one car. The ability to have multiple cars use the same device makes the savings huge. Again, it is all a matter of perspective. If one has a gate and a garage, I think adding HomeLink becomes much more understandable; however, for the 15 minutes it took me to set up Tailwind, pretty much the same functionality I would get from HomeLink (I do not have a gate), the price, and ease of use (I do not have to wait for a service appointment, or try to find someone nice or naive enough to set up a HomeLink Module that I bought, I am quite happy with Tailwind.
I will say again, it is definitely a matter of perspective. Some feel the $350 is well worth it, others think it is too much. Some feel the PPF price is well worth and others feel that is too much. To each their own...I am quite happy with my Tailwind, and my wife (in her Model 3) seems to be as well (and for only $10 more dollars (we have iPhones).

Yes, you are indeed correct. However, it still is all in one car. The ability to have multiple cars use the same device makes the savings huge. Again, it is all a matter of perspective. If one has a gate and a garage, I think adding HomeLink becomes much more understandable; however, for the 15 minutes it took me to set up Tailwind, pretty much the same functionality I would get from HomeLink (I do not have a gate), the price, and ease of use (I do not have to wait for a service appointment, or try to find someone nice or naive enough to set up a HomeLink Module that I bought, I am quite happy with Tailwind.
I will say again, it is definitely a matter of perspective. Some feel the $350 is well worth it, others think it is too much. Some feel the PPF price is well worth and others feel that is too much. To each their own...I am quite happy with my Tailwind, and my wife (in her Model 3) seems to be as well (and for only $10 more dollars (we have iPhones).
I paid for the garage door opener and a tech came to my house and installed it. It works on both garages and the front gate so now two remotes are no longer part of my daily life. I'm happy with the purchase but is it worth it? To me yes but I can see and respect why others say no.

There is a great advantage to getting the upgrade from Tesla as it will allow you to geotag your locations so the door opens automatically when you approach and closes when you drive away! Hard to believe this is not standard on the MY, but I certainly love it on my MS. I have a seasonal home and never have to worry because the car always opens the correct door based on its location.

Agree. I may get the factory upgrade but I’m looking for a good alternative.
There is a great advantage to getting the upgrade from Tesla as it will allow you to geotag your locations so the door opens automatically when you approach and closes when you drive away! Hard to believe this is not standard on the MY, but I certainly love it on my MS. I have a seasonal home and never have to worry because the car always opens the correct door based on its location.
Tailwind is a good alternative. It geotags your location as well for automatic opening and closing of the garage.

Reactions: faimui
Tailwind is a good alternative. It geotags your location as well for automatic opening and closing of the garage.

Tailwind maybe a good solution for a single location where you own or control the opener (I don't know but will take your word for it). However, based upon the little research, that I have done, it doesn't seem to work for multiple locations like SilverString stated he used homelink for. Nor does it seem to work situations where you don't have control over that actual opener (e.g. like the gate(s) for a condo complex).

Tailwind maybe a good solution for a single location where you own or control the opener (I don't know but will take your word for it). However, based upon the little research, that I have done, it doesn't seem to work for multiple locations like SilverString stated he used homelink for. Nor does it seem to work situations where you don't have control over that actual opener (e.g. like the gate(s) for a condo complex).
No it can be used for multiple garage doors but not gates. However, don't you have to have control of the opener or something that controls the gate in order to program HomeLink?

No it can be used for multiple garage doors but not gates. However, don't you have to have control of the opener or something that controls the gate in order to program HomeLink?

If you have an older garage door opener that uses a static code or gates that use static codes (which is typical for gates with a large number of users), then all you need is a working clicker for each code. Rotating code opener's typically require access to the learn button on the opener. Using geo location limits you to three locations on the homelink.

In my case, my garage opener uses a rotating code so I had to use the opener's learn button. To program the front and back gates (which are static), I just used the clicker.

I purchased the kit from Tesla and had them install it. $70k car should have come with it from the factory. Anyways, works great!
+1 — I agree that this garage door opener should be included, but the install was fast and worth the add on. What I really love is the ability to program multiple locations. For example, my mother is elderly and I’ve programmed her garage door as a second location. Thankful to have quick access to her home outside of the traditional key.

For those who have opted to just continue using an old-fashioned garage door clicker, I discovered that the standard clip that comes with the typical clicker fits perfectly on the front edge of the driver's seat. This places the clicker right next to my knee for easy access without getting n the way; keeps the device out of sight (even from inside the car); effectively reduces the occasional rattle or vibration noise that used to annoy me when it was attached to my visor; and eliminates the need to stick double-sided tape or velcro anywhere inside the car (I'm a bit OCD about things like that). I also have not experienced any range issues, despite the clicker being mounted so close to the floor.

Okay, so it's not a ground-breaking idea, and may not even be original (though I have not seen it mentioned anywhere). Just throwing it out there as another option to consider. It's definitely working well for me...

20220409_222107.jpg

For those who have opted to just continue using an old-fashioned garage door clicker, I discovered that the standard clip that comes with the typical clicker fits perfectly on the front edge of the driver's seat. This places the clicker right next to my knee for easy access without getting n the way; keeps the device out of sight (even from inside the car); effectively reduces the occasional rattle or vibration noise that used to annoy me when it was attached to my visor; and eliminates the need to stick double-sided tape or velcro anywhere inside the car (I'm a bit OCD about things like that). I also have not experienced any range issues, despite the clicker being mounted so close to the floor.

Okay, so it's not a ground-breaking idea, and may not even be original (though I have not seen it mentioned anywhere). Just throwing it out there as another option to consider. It's definitely working well for me...
Sometimes simple is good. I bought one of these and its sitting in the center console box for now, may double sided velcro tape mount it somewhere later.

View attachment 792243
Hey Dalmatic, did you attach the garage remote there with a sticky tape or something like that?

I've been using a $26 amazon available MyQ for years. https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-Opener-Chamberlain-myQ-G0401/dp/B08GD3D9YJ/ The App is on both my and my wife's iPhone and the iPhone are always in the Tesla Charging pad. It's easy to just touch the MyQ App Icon and open the wither garage door. It also alerts me when door is left open. Best is I can check to see if the garage door is closed after leaving the house.

Another advantage is when I'm out of town and a package gets delivered to my front door I can open and close the garage for my neighbor to put the package in my garage.
IMG-5300.jpg
IMG-5301.PNG

I use the neighborless version where Amazon opens your garage via MyQ, puts the package inside and closes the garage.
That works for Amazon packages but not for UPS, USPS or Fedex unfortunately. We "older people" occasionally have our medications delivered by other than Amazon.

I've been tempted to use Amazon Key Application but I am reluctant to use it even though I have a camera in my garage.

Reactions: Krash