Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wstuff

Jul 26, 2012
florida
I searched and didn't know where to put this, so Mods please move as appropriate. I cleaned my garage enough to safely get the car inside, no excuses it is a two car garage but it its two cars deep, not side by side ,made for a car and a golf cart. After closing my business and selling 9 properties many that had houses I had collected many tools and toys I just couldn't part with. I now realize I will have to bite the bullet and sell some STUFF. I had contemplated a parking assist foe my wife as she is nervous about parking the car in the garage, rightfully so as there is not a lot of room, luckily there is plenty of width but right now depth is a challenge. I also contemplated the good old tennis ball from a string but when I parked the car to center it for her I realized we will simply turn on the camera when parking and I put a temporary line on the garage floor for her. After I finish staining the new driveway and the garage floor I hope to cut out a TESLA T from craft paper and I will spray that in florecent paint on the new coffee colored floor, when she pulls in and see's the TEASLA "T" STOP!!!
Last Import - 06.jpg
Last Import - 07.jpg

Uh you know the line idea is flawed...line is going to be in a different place depending on what suspension height you're set at. Just a fair warning the day you smack the front end and the 'line isn't lined up yet'.

you're better off with something like this:
image.jpg

Not a bad idea, though I'd likely forget or get annoyed at turning on the rear camera.

I use a parking ball on a string--it attaches to the top of the garage door, the string runs through a pair of eyelets and when the garage door is closed the ball is up on the ceiling and out of the way. When the garage door is open (ie. when you're pulling in) the ball is hanging down, you drive in until it touches the windsheild. Works great, and costs just $5.

Genie Gps 5 Universal Perfect Stop Parking System from Sears.com

Check out the PZ-1100 by Park Zone, I have been using this for 20 years and it is simple and uncluttered. Go to Amazon, it works like a traffic light. You pull your car in to the exact spot you want it and then set the light, as you pull in the garage it goes from green to amber and when you are positioned correctly it goes to red.

Check out the PZ-1100 by Park Zone, I have been using this for 20 years and it is simple and uncluttered. Go to Amazon, it works like a traffic light. You pull your car in to the exact spot you want it and then set the light, as you pull in the garage it goes from green to amber and when you are positioned correctly it goes to red.

Is the green light on all the time, or only once you pull into the garage?

Has anyone tried parking in their garage rear first? I imagine it might be risky with the wide rear.

I live on the near north side of Chicago (Bucktown) and have to access our two car garage through a relatively narrow alley in the back of the lot (as with most city homes). Backing up is actually easier than trying to pull in, especially if my wife's car is already in. With regards to the width, I just use the side mirrors more so than the camera, and given that the back of the car is the "trickier" part of parking, once it's in I'm good to go straight back. I had a few leftover 2'x2' concrete pavers leftover from our garage rooftop deck remodel, and have them on the floor to let me know when I'm in far enough. Two and a half months in, and so far so good. It may get a little interesting in winter though, as the alleys are not plowed ...

you're better off with something like this

I've used the Camcorder AccuPark shown in post #7 for years and it works great. Just make sure you get it positioned exactly where you need it to stop your car (perhaps testing it out temporarily with duct tape) before removing the paper over the adhesive strip, since it is VERY difficult to remove once it is affixed to the garage floor.

I have to back in so I can get out since I park on the left side of my garage. I use the ball trick with red tape....Works awesome!

Thanks for the photos! Main question I was wondering is my electrician wants to put the outlet on the front wall for ease and cost reasons (right next to the circuit breaker box). It looks like it could be a stretch to make the cord reach from the front wall to the rear left of the car if I pulled in front first. I was concerned about backing in as the space in my garage is tight. Thanks to your picture it looks like backing in is still doable, even in a tight garage!