Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick question about car / wifi connectivity .. especially as it relates to updates.

My garage has weak at best Wifi connectivity from the house ... however , in the past ... I was updated on my phone that a an update was available.

What I am wondering is it more important that my phone and app have wifi accessibility (which they obviously do in my house) for updates or is it equally important for my car to have it as well.

I am just talking about getting notified that an update is coming .. I have no problem getting the update to the car but wondering if the cars lack of connectivity would prevent me from getting timely updates.

Thanks

Mike

I read on this forum that WiFi connected cars get priority over lte connected cars.

But on my last update, 16.1, I was parked on the street at work when the notification popped up.

Inside the garage might be the worst place if you don't have good WiFi or LTE.

I have good WiFi strength in the garage because I have range extender in the vicinity for my garage door openers. But I never was offered updates on 12.x.

It is so random like most of my posts. :confused:

Reactions: israndy
Wi-fi in near your garage is important. WIth how the cost has declined recently, I would seriously look at the mesh routers out there. I use Eero here, but Google's offering is solid. And a lot of others do it, too. It's better than range extenders and would highly recommend it when it's time.

Reactions: whatthe2
Just a quick question about car / wifi connectivity .. especially as it relates to updates.

My garage has weak at best Wifi connectivity from the house ... however , in the past ... I was updated on my phone that a an update was available.

What I am wondering is it more important that my phone and app have wifi accessibility (which they obviously do in my house) for updates or is it equally important for my car to have it as well.

I am just talking about getting notified that an update is coming .. I have no problem getting the update to the car but wondering if the cars lack of connectivity would prevent me from getting timely updates.

Thanks

Mike

Updates are currently delivered directly to your car, and not via your mobile device. Although it's possible that this may change in the future, the best way to assure timely software updates is to keep your car assocated with a solid WiFi signal. Occassionally, Tesla will push updates via LTE, but this is less frequent and with a lower priority.

• Helpful
Reactions: Acps110
I was having trouble figuring a way to track the traffic volume to the specific IP of the Tesla, so I took an old WiFi base station and hard-wired it to my network. Placed it in the garage so there is great reception. Then I connected ONLY the Tesla to it. Now I just read ALL traffic to that router as my Tesla traffic.

-Randy

Wi-fi in near your garage is important. WIth how the cost has declined recently, I would seriously look at the mesh routers out there. I use Eero here, but Google's offering is solid. And a lot of others do it, too. It's better than range extenders and would highly recommend it when it's time.
+1 for a mesh network. I use Google and it’s been great. I put an AP in my laundry room so the AP is now less than 10 ft. From my car. Greatly improved my signal to the car.

I got tired of the weak garage Wi-Fi, and a few other issues, so last month I changed my entire network over to a Unifi setup and installed a UAP-AC-PRO in my garage and another in my house. I went from 2 to max bars and seem to get updates faster.

The setup makes traffic easier. I live near a Micro Center so I've built most of my system with discounted returns that still have full warranty.

I also replaced my router with the USG and enabled it to track traffic. Here is a screen shot for my Model 3. I have no clue why it is communicating with Spotify.

model3traffic.PNG