Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

gateway 2 rolling out in US yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can u post a link
It's in a "closed group" whose content can only be seen by members. You are free to join and take a look. On Facebook "Tesla Energy: Powerwall, Roof, Solar".

Here are some screen shots from that post

Cover.jpg

Intro.jpg

New Apps.jpg

Load Shedding.jpg

To me, the most interesting thing is that for some simple installations, internal breakers can eliminate the need for a Generation Panel.

Load shedding by cutting low voltage control lines is also useful for preventing A/C compressors from starting. However, the air handler running with no cooling is a waste of energy too.

+1 would be interested. Getting Solar + PW with 400A service at home (Dual 200A feeds) and wondering what this gateway would do for that. Hopefully some support for this configuration, or have to go with original plan of separating the 200A backup circuit from 200A non-backed up circuit.

TY for sharing. Any update on 400A support?

It's in a "closed group" whose content can only be seen by members. You are free to join and take a look. On Facebook "Tesla Energy: Powerwall, Roof, Solar".

Here are some screen shots from that post

View attachment 543616

View attachment 543617
View attachment 543619

View attachment 543618

To me, the most interesting thing is that for some simple installations, internal breakers can eliminate the need for a Generation Panel.

Load shedding by cutting low voltage control lines is also useful for preventing A/C compressors from starting. However, the air handler running with no cooling is a waste of energy too.

Probably true for cooling but those with heat pumps and wood stoves could use this to distribute heat to the other rooms.
My comment was specifically related to the situation where the Powerwall system has used Load Shedding to prevent the A/C compressor for running. When it does something like that - a common technique, even with generator based load shedding - it cannot prevent the air handler from running because the thermostat is still asking the air handler for cooling while the run signal is interrupted to the outdoor unit.
In any other situation, there are good reasons for an air handler to run and Powerwalls can easily handle that usage.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
Will they be replacing the Gateway 1 to Gateway 2? My Gateway 1 has only been on the house for 45 days,

If it works, likely no for existing installations.

Tesla may offer the upgrade as an added fee (say $2,000) for existing customers who would like to swap it out. Personally, I could see doing this in the future with the installation of a (potential) bi-directional wall connector for V2G application.

SCE is requiring a NGOM be installed on my system with 3 powerwalls. Would this version 2 of the backup gateway with built in "revenue grade metering" resolve this requirement with SCE?

I wonder what accuracy is required by SCE? Gateway Version 1 is listed as "Revenue grade".

Gateway Version 1 has a built in "Revenue grade" AC meter with +/– 1.0% accuracy per US Datasheet.
Gateway Version 2 has a built in "Revenue accurate" AC meter with +/– 0.2% accuracy per GB datasheet.

I have ordered solar panels with 2 powerwall system on April 29. I got the layout and still my application is in processing state. my guess is it might take approximate 3 more months for me to get my system installed.
will i be getting Gateway 2 or Gateway 1 ?
where would i see the documentation which it specifies about the gateway system in my application ?