Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

gateway 2 rolling out in US yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
learn something new everyday! :) Thanks @Vines

Also, just to clarify, not looking to get anything for free. If GW2 is available now and can be quickly added to my layout for reasonably extra $$ while I'm at the permitting stage, I'd pull the trigger on it.

The osborn effect is a real thing that happens, that companies have to manage. They have to balance clearing out existing inventory while still letting people know about new products to show they are innovating.

Thats why many companies try so hard to not "leak" new IT consumer products (like what a new phone looks like) until they are ready to sell it, or slightly before. Of course, with the "always on" social media cycle, that has become very difficult.

Since many of Tesla's customers are attracted to the tech, they are more susceptible to this, but it happens with everything "new", like new cars, a new router, etc etc.

Right now, tesla is likely in a situation where pretty much anyone keeping tabs on their upcoming install is going to say "I want the new one", just like you and @SMAlset are. If they dont have enough people who ARENT paying attention, and happily take the GW1 that they have currently on their orders / in stock, they are going to end up having to eat some expensive inventory.

Of course, if I was in your shoes, I would absolutely say "I want the new one" too... thats what most of us want, is the "latest". Sometimes the earlier one is better, because later ones are built to a pricepoint as opposed to "greatest we can" etc. Examples of this in tesla include the early 2018 model 3 all wheel drive version, which has the same motor that the model 3 performance does in it, just software limited. later versions have a new motor part number that presumably has less actual power available, not just software limited.

• Informative
Reactions: gigawatt1010
So I placed my order on 5/13. They applied for the permit on 5/29 and the permit was approved on 6/2. My install is scheduled for 6/22. I saw this thread and figured that I probably just missed the cutoff for gateway 2, but I took a close look at the documentation and layout information that they gave me and found this:

19538345-1ACF-4E0D-A699-2D727764D933.jpeg

I guess I’ll know for sure when they come to do the install on the 22nd, but it looks like I’m getting the Gateway 2:)

Great info @jjrandorin! Completely understand. The GW2 is also a much better garage candy than a square gray box LOL

@BrettS - wow, you're moving at a very quick pace and you're lucky you have the GW2. I ordered 5/2, got my layout 5/6 and got into the permitting stage shortly after. I don't have any updates since I signed off on the documents around mid-may. My account still says permitting stage.

learn something new everyday! :) Thanks @Vines

Also, just to clarify, not looking to get anything for free. If GW2 is available now and can be quickly added to my layout for reasonably extra $$ while I'm at the permitting stage, I'd pull the trigger on it.

Good to know you are being reasonable about the cost of a change. I have seen enough here to know that not everyone is so reasonable, when its time to honor their part of a contract.

My account still says permitting stage

In my case the permitting stage included waiting for signed and sealed engineering drawings, because my city requires that for permits, then applying for the permit with the city and waiting for their approval. Depending on your utility they may also need to apply for preapproval for the solar install from the utility as well in this stage.

You should be able to call and ask if your engineering drawings are done and request a copy of them.

Also, permits are public records, so you should be able to go to your city’s web site and find the permit information and search for your address to see if the permit has been applied for or approved. In my case I was able to see the permit application appear on the web site the day they applied and I kept checking it periodically until I saw that it was approved two (business) days later. (They applied on a Friday and it was approved on the next Tuesday)

Once I saw that it was approved I called Tesla to let them know that it had been approved and see what the next step was. I was told that they would need request pre-approval from my utility after the permit was done. But then about 30 minutes later I got a text from the energy advisor that said “I just found out that your utility doesn’t require preapproval. You’re good to go and you should get a call from the scheduling team shortly”. And within about 15 minutes I got that call and got my install scheduled.

YT video of Gateway2 in U.S. Video posted end of May. We still haven’t had any movement on our permit with our city (changed from 2 PWs to 3 while we waited during covid). Informed by City that a new one had to be filed not amended and haven’t seen anything other than our original permit listed on our city permit site. We are wondering if it’s due to any changes in metering, Gateway2 starting to get installed — when we ordered back in Jan. and during finalizing our contract made a point of saying we were aware of new equipment and would want the GW2 used, or maybe due to some other certification issues or even fire dept code changes. The longer the wait maybe the better at this point. The video was interesting to see.

YT video of Gateway2 in U.S. Video posted end of May. We still haven’t had any movement on our permit with our city (changed from 2 PWs to 3 while we waited during covid). Informed by City that a new one had to be filed not amended and haven’t seen anything other than our original permit listed on our city permit site. We are wondering if it’s due to any changes in metering, Gateway2 starting to get installed — when we ordered back in Jan. and during finalizing our contract made a point of saying we were aware of new equipment and would want the GW2 used, or maybe due to some other certification issues or even fire dept code changes. The longer the wait maybe the better at this point. The video was interesting to see.

I clicked through and didnt watch the whole thing, because I was looking for a live shot of Gateway 2. When they got to that in the video, it seemd to me to just be a marketing picture, instead of a picture of a live installed device. In fact, the marketing picture looked like one from tesla. See screenshot below that I grabbed searching for Tesla Gateway 2, and then take a look at their video at the 12 minute mark... looks like the same picture to me.

Is there someplace in the video they show the actual device mounted and not a marketing pic?

Gateway 2.png

It's interesting that they have fixed the Grid CTs on the input bus bars. My Gateway 1 came from the factory with the Grid CTs installed on the input side of the switch, but they were relocated by the installer to the main panel so that my non-backup loads could be offset by the Powerwalls when the grid was up. I wonder if the Gateway 2 has additional CT channels (or you have to disconnect the factory installed ones) to support measuring the actual grid main, or if you have to feed non-backup loads from the provided lugs so that it is measured correctly.

@Vines : Thank you for sharing.

I find it quite interesting there are non-backed up lugs installed as a default option. the 14-2 AWG note implies only 15 A circuit(s) can be installed. There must be enough use cases to warrant them installed on all Backup Gateway 2 units. I wonder what they are...

It's interesting that they have fixed the Grid CTs on the input bus bars. My Gateway 1 came from the factory with the Grid CTs installed on the input side of the switch, but they were relocated by the installer to the main panel so that my non-backup loads could be offset by the Powerwalls when the grid was up. I wonder if the Gateway 2 has additional CT channels (or you have to disconnect the factory installed ones) to support measuring the actual grid main, or if you have to feed non-backup loads from the provided lugs so that it is measured correctly.

@miimura : I imagine more CT channels are available. The fixed CTs may be required to qualify for the higher accuracy specified (0.2% vs 1.0%).