Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gateway reporting before PTO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my install today YAY!
The Tesla app is display some odd data. I know it's before PTO and I have the solar inverter off and on d/c off. But the Tesla app seems to the think that Solar is flowing into Grid, when what's actually happening is Grid is flowing to my home right now.

Anything to worry about?

IMG-7968.png

Yes, and that seems to be a very common problem with installs. One or more of your current transformers (CTs) are installed wrong. Let the installation crew know. If your solar is off, there should be no solar flow.

I believe this can be fixed remotely by tesla. Is your install team tesla or third party? If tesla, I would call the energy support number (after turning on the system and checking power flows) and let them know. They can re configure something that fixes this without another site visit in some cases.

I've had issues for 2 months now. Original install was good, but then they changed some settings after inspection. Its been totally erratic and then They tried resetting remotely, but it messed up the system and have to come onsite to restart.

I believe this can be fixed remotely by tesla. Is your install team tesla or third party? If tesla, I would call the energy support number (after turning on the system and checking power flows) and let them know. They can re configure something that fixes this without another site visit in some cases.
Yeah Tesla installers. Good to know they can flip in software. The Tesla app thinks the Solar is on and grid feeding but access the gateway web console page seems a bit smarter and has an error on the home feed that I'm running -0.6W and "Load meter requires both positive power and amperage to be configured correctly."

Before making your final payment, recommend getting as much testing done as possible - verifying items such as properly transitioning off/on grid, setting the powerline frequency for solar power shutdown below 65Hz, ...

Because once you've made the final payment, Tesla (or 3rd party) will have less motivation to get problems fixed correctly.

Before making your final payment, recommend getting as much testing done as possible - verifying items such as properly transitioning off/on grid, setting the powerline frequency for solar power shutdown below 65Hz, ...

Because once you've made the final payment, Tesla (or 3rd party) will have less motivation to get problems fixed correctly.

Telsa will not file for interconnection before they get the final pay. You delay the payment you delay turning on your system.

When they installed my system they didn't leave until they showed me everything and did the off grid test with me and made sure everything is working as it should. a few days later when we had the inspection after they assembled the system back together they did all the tests again (including the AC power on test) to make sure it is all working. Overall I was very pleased with Tesla install crew.

OP,

What was your experience?

Just here to say I found this thread due to the same symptoms. System worked awesome for a few days, but now no bueno. Two specific errors:

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 4.32.10 PM.png

Warning: Solar meter may be configured incorrectly
Solar meter requires both positive power and amperage to be configured correctly.

I have been playing whack-a-mole with this lately. It seems as if there is a software bug that keeps flipping meters, or un-flipping meters that have been flipped. I have even had my meters completely disappear. One Tesla support person has told my installer that it is a known bug. Resetting the gateway sometimes fixes it for me. Having a tech rerun the installation wizard seems to fix it.

FWIW: the gateway is at 21.35.3

All the best,

BG

Having a tech rerun the installation wizard seems to fix it.
Day 2 of me waiting for "tier 2" to review my CT reporting. Powerwall drained down to 3% because it won't charge when this is happening. Wow, Tesla is kinda crap at customer service. If I was every going to consider a car from them, this whole experience certainly cured me of that.

Day 2 of me waiting for "tier 2" to review my CT reporting. Powerwall drained down to 3% because it won't charge when this is happening. Wow, Tesla is kinda crap at customer service. If I was every going to consider a car from them, this whole experience certainly cured me of that.
don't hold your breath for tier 2 support. they didn't respond back to me for weeks.

don't hold your breath for tier 2 support. they didn't respond back to me for weeks.
How do I get ahold of someone who will actually do something? I managed to get enough power to the powerwall for it to charge back up to 20% or so by flipping the main breaker (ie, physically disconnected from grid) - so now I can force powerwall charging again by "going off grid" via the Gateway local web interface again during the day.

I called in today to the general support line and got nowhere.

After two weeks, my nearly daily call in to T1 support to check progress landed on the same person who cut the ticket 2 weeks back. She was awesome - started reaching out to people she knew in T2, found someone to actually take a look... system went offline for 5 min, and came back up configured correctly. We're in business.

Ridiculous backlog and lack of triage for T2 team: 1 star, do not recommend.
Initiative and customer focused support by the T1 person: 5 stars plus 1, priceless

Reactions: BGbreeder