Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Gearbox fluid recommended" warning

Have you seen the "Gearbox fluid recommended" warning on your screen?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
Last night I received an interesting message on my display:

IMG.jpeg

After speaking to the service center, they said it was a preventative message that is fairly widespread and I should bring my car in, but can continue to drive as is fine.

Interestingly enough, the message appeared shortly after I updated to 2019.40.2.1, so I'm not sure if it's a new "feature" in terms of being able to sense gearbox fluid now or not.

Curious to know if anyone else has seen this message?

preventative message that is fairly widespread

Preventive measures are either based on a time interval (unlikely), number of miles driven (also unlikely) or some condition monitoring that didn't like what it was seeing (more likely).

Since the other thread said fluid level was correct and no leaks, my total guess is they are either looking at:
  • Pressure drop/flow rate across the oil filter
  • Oil pump current draw (less likely since they said it's operating normally)
  • Sensor on drain plug that detects ferromagnetic shavings
  • Plain old software bug
If someone who is currently getting this error could push Tesla to get more info on what specifically is causing this alert it would be sweet!

Last night I received an interesting message on my display:

View attachment 487259

After speaking to the service center, they said it was a preventative message that is fairly widespread and I should bring my car in, but can continue to drive as is fine.

Interestingly enough, the message appeared shortly after I updated to 2019.40.2.1, so I'm not sure if it's a new "feature" in terms of being able to sense gearbox fluid now or not.

Curious to know if anyone else has seen this message?

@MarcG,

Wonder if this is something Mobile can do? If it’s just a fluid add/top off? Ask the SC when you take it in and let us know what they say.

Ski

Reactions: APotatoGod
@MarcG,

Wonder if this is something Mobile can do? If it’s just a fluid add/top off? Ask the SC when you take it in and let us know what they say.

Ski

My understanding is that Tesla want's nothing to do with "fluids" and mobile service. It's the environmental liability. So anything that deals with fluids of any kind is an automatic trip to the service center.

Since the other thread said fluid level was correct and no leaks, my total guess is they are either looking at:
  • Pressure drop/flow rate across the oil filter
  • Oil pump current draw (less likely since they said it's operating normally)
  • Sensor on drain plug that detects ferromagnetic shavings
  • Plain old software bug
One more choice for your bullet list:
  • Defective sensor

@MarcG,

Ski

The SC called after I made the appointment from my Tesla app, which defaults to mobile (don't see a way to select SC anymore), and they specifically said mobile techs can't take care of this and I would have to come in. I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: SeasonedTech
I have had this warning as well, on two occasions. Both times were during long drives in very cold temperatures (-20C). I contacted the service centre about it wondering if this was something that just happens in the cold but unfortunately didn't get much information from them.

I didn't want to pay to have the vehicle towed hundreds of kilometres to a service centre so they said it was okay to wait (this can't be serviced by a mobile tech). It hasn't happened in well over a month now so hopefully I'm in the clear. I'd say give it a few days at least before worrying about it

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq