Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Gearbox fluid recommended" warning

Have you seen the "Gearbox fluid recommended" warning on your screen?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what exactly is the problem? The heat pump, or the differential? And yes, there's no 'gearbox' on Teslas, so the correct name is differential. And do the differentials have pumps? That's rare; only on super high performance cars with a differential cooler. Doubt even P models have that, but maybe I'm wrong.

Finally, does anybody know how to remove those stupidly annoying warning messages? I haven't had issues with the 'gearbox' one on my 2021, even after traveling 1,200+ miles at 80+ most of the time (TX). But if it's a bit windy, and you need just a few minor steering wheel corrections (and WITHOUT any cruise control), I get the warning that can't use auto pilot, and can't turn off the damn thing. Finally figured out how to make it smaller, by swiping it to the left, leaving a large circle instead. But there should be a way to completely remove it out of the screen once you read it. Thank you.

So what exactly is the problem? The heat pump, or the differential? And yes, there's no 'gearbox' on Teslas, so the correct name is differential. And do the differentials have pumps? That's rare; only on super high performance cars with a differential cooler. Doubt even P models have that, but maybe I'm wrong.

All Tesla drive units have pumps and coolant connections. The old motors had a mechanical pump that only pumped when you were moving forward. The newer drive units have an electric pump, and a filter, to circulate the gear oil through the motor all the time and has a heat exchanger. The oil is used not only to lubricate the diff/gears but also to cool the stator and rotor. (There is also a coolant path on the drive unit to cool the inverter.) And that excess heat is now used to heat the battery and/or cabin.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153436-9999.pdf refers to a gearbox. It also has references to oil pump.

My April '18 build 3 was just coming up on 25000 miles when Tesla removed the service requirement to have the gearbox oil changed at 25K. I wanted it done regardless, but it never happened. I just went over 60K miles this past weekend, never got a gearbox oil warning.

Has anybody here ever changed the differential fluids on the M3??? I don't believe in 'lifetime' fluids, and typically like to change fluids early, to remove all assembly and break-in crap, but the exception is automatic transmissions, since it's a PITA, plus they have filters. But manual transmissions and differentials, I typically do it by 10K miles. Curious how easy (or difficult) the job is on our M3s.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Has anybody here ever changed the differential fluids on the M3??? I don't believe in 'lifetime' fluids, and typically like to change fluids early, to remove all assembly and break-in crap, but the exception is automatic transmissions, since it's a PITA, plus they have filters. But manual transmissions and differentials, I typically do it by 10K miles. Curious how easy (or difficult) the job is on our M3s.

The Model 3 drive units have a filter on them... (Which is probably why they say you don't have to regularly change the fluid, that and they don't cook/heat the fluid near as much as an ICE vehicle does.)

Thanks Mike. A filter sounds good, but gears are brutal on oil, so I'd still like to replace it at some point (maybe 60K miles?), if I keep the car that long. It's good preventative maintenance. The better question is if Tesla provided both a fill and drain plugs on both drive units. It should be a super easy job, but depends where it's located, and what's under them. Maybe one of these days somebody will post a picture. Also curious about the volume of fluid on each unit. Differentials typically have less than 2 quarts of fluid, so fluid is relatively cheap to buy too.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Differentials typically have less than 2 quarts of fluid, so fluid is relatively cheap to buy too.

I don't have handy access to the Model 3 service manual right now, but here is some information for older Model Xs:

Transmission fluid
Front drive unit part number 1035000-00-F and earlier: Mobil SHC 629
Front drive unit part number 1035000-00-J and later: DEXRON VI (DEXRON 6) automatic transmission fluid
Rear drive unit (small and large): DEXRON VI (DEXRON 6) automatic transmission fluid

Component / System Capacity
Transmission (front, small drive unit) 1.8 quarts 1,750 ml
Transmission (rear, small drive unit) 2.4 quarts 2,250 ml
Transmission (rear, large drive unit) 1.5 quarts 1,400 ml

Thank you. So around 2 quarts average, like I suspected. The smaller rear drive unit requiring more fluid than the larger one is interesting. And I'm surprised Tesla is using ATF, rather than gear oil, so the shearing forces should be less than ICE, obviously, which is good news. Thanks again for posting that.

Why this is a good idea -
Enduro Drive Unit Oil Cooler And Magnetic Filter for Tesla Model 3 and Tesla Model Y - Unplugged Performance

Have changed fluid in several Model 3s (SR+ and P's).
Without fail the rear power unit transmission is always slightly over-full, and the front under by about half a quart. Just an observation.
Some questions...
  1. Service manual references a "fluid evacuator" but I don't think there's any "real" fluid evacuator involved that's providing vacuum when draining?
  2. How are you powering the oil pump? I'm assuming it's 12V?
  3. What is this silly thing about hooking up an extractor to fill the case? I don't get it at all.

I have had this warning as well, on two occasions. Both times were during long drives in very cold temperatures (-20C). I contacted the service centre about it wondering if this was something that just happens in the cold but unfortunately didn't get much information from them.

I didn't want to pay to have the vehicle towed hundreds of kilometres to a service centre so they said it was okay to wait (this can't be serviced by a mobile tech). It hasn't happened in well over a month now so hopefully I'm in the clear. I'd say give it a few days at least before worrying about it

it’s -4°F here and got the message...any solutions?
We just got the gearbox oil warning yesterday... Long highway drive in cold weather -15 celsius. MX new in Dec 2019... Only 2500 km. I read another post from someone also saying they got the warning after a long cold highway drive -20 celsius. We'll see if it's still there for the drive home tomorrow... It's supposed to warm up a bit. I'll report back.

I got the warning driving in -4°F this morning

Last night I received an interesting message on my display:

View attachment 487259

After speaking to the service center, they said it was a preventative message that is fairly widespread and I should bring my car in, but can continue to drive as is fine.

Interestingly enough, the message appeared shortly after I updated to 2019.40.2.1, so I'm not sure if it's a new "feature" in terms of being able to sense gearbox fluid now or not.

Curious to know if anyone else has seen this message?
Got that message the other day. Was on a 6hour trip. After about an hour I got another warning and it reduced the cars power and took me down 60 mph and would not go faster. I took the next exit pulled over and turned the car power off. When i turned the car back on , there was no warning and things have been back to normal since.🤔 Got a service appointment scheduled anyway.

Is there any recent advice on this? My Sept '18 M3LR just started displaying message every few drives. Tesla quoted me $1,500 to fix it when of course my warranty ended in September... 🤬 Couldn't have happened before I brought my car in in August lol.

Is it covered by the 8yr drivetrain warranty by any chance?

Thank you

Is there any recent advice on this? My Sept '18 M3LR just started displaying message every few drives. Tesla quoted me $1,500 to fix it when of course my warranty ended in September... 🤬 Couldn't have happened before I brought my car in in August lol.

Is it covered by the 8yr drivetrain warranty by any chance?

Thank you

Whoa that's interesting, sorry to hear that high of a quote. Did they mention what work they needed to perform?

I would imagine this is covered by the drivetrain warranty, did they say it wasn't?

Whoa that's interesting, sorry to hear that high of a quote. Did they mention what work they needed to perform?

I would imagine this is covered by the drivetrain warranty, did they say it wasn't?
Lol I got the quote yesterday but didn't even consider the longer drivetrain warranty until skimming the last page of this thread here. I just asked that (message via the app). I know Tesla typically sends a quote for the full amount of a repair whether it will covered under warranty or not, so hopefully it will be.. 🤞🤞🤞

Just to add some more information I've got 49,000 miles on my car.

Attached is the quote...guess I exaggerated a bit, it's only $1,400.... $1,503 with tax.

Edit: After actually looking at the quote, it looks like it's not just fluids! Is the gearbox front drive unit the entire front motor?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Lol I got the quote yesterday but didn't even consider the longer drivetrain warranty until skimming the last page of this thread here. I just asked that (message via the app). I know Tesla typically sends a quote for the full amount of a repair whether it will covered under warranty or not, so hopefully it will be.. 🤞🤞🤞

Just to add some more information I've got 49,000 miles on my car.

Attached is the quote...guess I exaggerated a bit, it's only $1,400.... $1,503 with tax.

Edit: After actually looking at the quote, it looks like it's not just fluids! Is the gearbox front drive unit the entire front motor?
No, it is almost all labor. Only $120 in parts. It seems you have to remove and reinstall the drive unit to change the fluid???