Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gemini Tire replacement - anything better than OEM? (all season)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can ANY tire have a mileage warranty???
If you drive like you stole it, the tires won't last a week!
Then what? Take them back and ask for a refund???
Next set is prorated. Does that answer all seven question marks? 😂
I'll be putting that to the test when it's replacement time for the OEM Contis, which have a tread wear warranty of 40K miles.
My experience is that the set that comes on a new car does not have a warranty - even if a replacement set of the exact same time does.

We'll be lucky to get 20,000 miles out of the OEM (Procontact) tires on our 2022 MYLR. The rear tires seem to be wearing at twice the rate of the front tires. Not too surprising since 56% of the total weight (4400 lbs) are on the rear tires and regenerative braking occurs with the rear motor. When replacement time comes, tread wear rating will be #1 priority.
Are you rotating them every 6k miles? I’ve got 17k miles on my 2022 MYLR and I’m nowhere close to having to replace the tires. I got 38k miles from my OEM Goodyear tires on my Model S before I got to 3/32 and replaced them.
Unless you’re driving your Model Y like a race car, you should get more than 20k miles out of your OEM tires.

Reactions: CaseyL and Noflash
Noflash - what exactly does 'pro-rated' mean and how does it work?
Well, I don't have the policy in front of me, but in general if your tires are worn before the mileage warranty is up you get a credit towards your next set. So, lets say you buy $400 worth of tires with a 40k mileage warranty when your car has 20k miles on it. Your tire shop notes your mileage. If you go back at 50k miles and the shop agrees your tires are worn and need replacing then you've only gotten 75% of the tread warranty. In theory you should get 25% of what you paid as credit towards the next set. So your next set would be $400-$100= $300.

This is a very simplistic example and I'm sure there are some "gotchas" in the fine print. Every time I get new tires, I get some credit from Discount Tire (excluding the OE tires that come on the car off the lot. These never seem to have warranty).

Hope that helps.

Reactions: android04
It doesn't matter. You could drive the Baja 1000 and show up claiming excessive tire wear. The tire distributor would contact the tire company representative and ask for good will. You would probably get 30% to 50% off on your next set of tires. The tire distributor gets a new customer (maybe for life). The tire company sells more tires. (Over the long term the tire company does not lose money.)

Reactions: Noflash
Mind boggling - it almost forces you to wear them out quickly by driving hard because you know you'll get credit towards the replacement tyres??
How do they know you haven't tracked the car?
Part of the warranty terms is that all tire treads are within 1/32" from each other and across the same tire. If you drive very aggressively all the time, then more likely your tread will not be worn evenly enough to qualify for warranty. Especially true as you wear out your suspension too and the added play causes more uneven wear. Not too mention that driving aggressively costs you more in energy consumption.

Hey, I'm new to the TMC. I found awesome all weather tyres w/3 peak mountain rating. The original tires that come with the MY are horrible. I blew through sidewalls on potholes, curbing, daily driving. 3 tires in 3 months. On the third one I decided to change all 4 tires. We loie in Canada, and every winter the service centers run out of the Continental tires from damage to the tire under regular driving. After exhausting this forum and others, I went with 5 (I have full size spare) Nokian WRG4 255/50r19. Low rolling resistance, weight load spec is good, all weather, armored side wall. No issues since. 2 road trips, pot holes, curbing, you name it - no problems. Worth every penny. Larger sidewall, and a bit wider, but zero rubbing. I'd highly recommend this solution to wrap the stock Gemini 19 rims. Worry free driving.
Note: I'm in a 7 seat, with hitch, dual motor - so max weighted MY. The Continental original tires - I feel - were under spec'd and total garbage for my setup and weight and for northern/harsh driving conditions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231106-152903.png
    Screenshot_20231106-152903.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 201
  • Screenshot_20231106-152841.png
    Screenshot_20231106-152841.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
We'll be lucky to get 20,000 miles out of the OEM (Procontact) tires on our 2022 MYLR. The rear tires seem to be wearing at twice the rate of the front tires. Not too surprising since 56% of the total weight (4400 lbs) are on the rear tires and regenerative braking occurs with the rear motor. When replacement time comes, tread wear rating will be #1 priority.
I’m in the same boat, and also have the OEM Contis. I rotate every 7k miles, keep them inflated to 42psi, and yet I’m under 5/32” on all four with only 17k miles. And the inside tread is starting to look a little bare. I don’t think I’m an aggressive driver (though it’s true my wife might have a different opinion). I’ll probably need to replace them before my next rotation.

I will definitely prioritize tire wear in my next set. Tire replacement is expensive and time consuming, and I just intensely dislike that chore. I don’t see many members on this forum prioritizing tire wear, so it’s been difficult finding good advice on a long lasting tire. So if anyone has good advice on a tire with plenty of tread that doesn’t compromise too much on other aspects, I’m all ears.

I’m in the same boat, and also have the OEM Contis. I rotate every 7k miles, keep them inflated to 42psi, and yet I’m under 5/32” on all four with only 17k miles. And the inside tread is starting to look a little bare. I don’t think I’m an aggressive driver (though it’s true my wife might have a different opinion). I’ll probably need to replace them before my next rotation.

I will definitely prioritize tire wear in my next set. Tire replacement is expensive and time consuming, and I just intensely dislike that chore. I don’t see many members on this forum prioritizing tire wear, so it’s been difficult finding good advice on a long lasting tire. So if anyone has good advice on a tire with plenty of tread that doesn’t compromise too much on other aspects, I’m all ears.
I am at 28K miles and tires look fine. I'll measure later, but I think I should get 50K on my set. MY LR with Contis.

Reactions: pepperoni

From what I can recall from an expert on tire wear: ease off when starting from standing still, and have fun in the twisties. For whatever the reason, those who baby the car don't wear out the tires evenly.

Also, manufacturer recommended 42 psi is the highest of all the cars I've owned so far, probably due to the weight of the vehicle.

if you've got "inside wear" I would recommend an alignment check

Reactions: pepperoni
From what I can recall from an expert on tire wear: ease off when starting from standing still, and have fun in the twisties. For whatever the reason, those who baby the car don't wear out the tires evenly.

Also, manufacturer recommended 42 psi is the highest of all the cars I've owned so far, probably due to the weight of the vehicle.
The Tesla Model Y tire spec is for an extra load (XL) tire. XL tires need to be inflated to 41 PSI (Europe) or 42 PSI (US) to meet the specified tire load index.

My favs, but have not decided on which to buy next:
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Plus AS (I own, might do again))
Hankook ION EVO AS (I’m considering)

Both designed for EVs
I would consider the IONs the latest gen of EV tire tech
Michelins are amazing
Google for reviews and comments

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA
At 22,700 miles, I replaced my OEM with upsized (255/50r19) Quatrac Pros. I had 4/32" when I replaced the OEM. I would have gone a little longer, but snow season was starting.

I now have 35,500 miles on my Quatrac Pros, and they look like they'll make it to 50,000.

Pros: Quieter, more comfortable, way better rain traction, WAY better snow traction, >2x tread life, less expensive.

Cons: Poorer steering response, ~5% range loss (closer to 10% when new.) Note: both of these may have been exasperated by the larger size.

Larger size...
Pros: . Extra 1/2" of ground clearance, softer ride, and better look.

Cons: see above, plus ~0.3 second slower 0-60 (after considering the needed 3% speedometer correction), speedometer error. OEM speedometer read 1.5% high, now it reads 1.5% low (e.g. 68 is really almost 70).

One more thing, if you increase the tire size, 255/50r19 is about as tall as you can go on OEM rims. See: 255/50r19 quatrac pro on Gemeni w pics

Last edited: