Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 Wall Charger load shared - no lights!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HWPC (load shared with 2x Gen 2)stopped working outside
You think this is overheated or water damage?

It’s 6 gauge running 48amp.
Bug then again it’s green which shows water damage.

No lights on at all
I check the other one and shows no damage and has power running to it, but also shows no lights at all?

Link to video -

Attachments

• 75CAE2C1-BF0C-4AFA-9589-41F9F8D8796E.jpeg
    75CAE2C1-BF0C-4AFA-9589-41F9F8D8796E.jpeg
    379.7 KB · Views: 133
That might have started out as water damage. Now its 'was almost on fire' damage. That connection is beyond poor, and may have been so right from the beginning.

Did you pull the conductor out of the terminal to take the picture? I myself would have used a ferrule to constrain all those strands before installation.

That might have started out as water damage. Now its 'was almost on fire' damage. That connection is beyond poor, and may have been so right from the beginning.

Did you pull the conductor out of the terminal to take the picture? I myself would have used a ferrule to constrain all those strands before installation.
Yep - pulled them out and saw that, I realize that one is basically dead, and plan to leave it off until i can fix the wires with new copper and a ferrule.

Is there any kind of breaker switch on these HPWC

Yep - pulled them out and saw that, I realize that one is basically dead, and plan to leave it off until i can fix the wires with new copper and a ferrule.

Is there any kind of breaker switch on these HPWC
There's a big red reset button on the side, but its not notably more useful then flipping the supply breaker off and on. There's no traditional internal circuit breaker. There's at least a tiny chance that repairing the input line will make it work again.

There's a big red reset button on the side, but its not notably more useful then flipping the supply breaker off and on. There's no traditional internal circuit breaker. There's at least a tiny chance that repairing the input line will make it work again.
Yeh tried the reset on the master (slave has water damage) - but no bueno, curious what could be the difference between working this morning, then investigating the slave charger, and the master going out.

Yeh tried the reset on the master (slave has water damage) - but no bueno, curious what could be the difference between working this morning, then investigating the slave charger, and the master going out.
Just a guess....I wonder if the master is intentionally disabling itself because its been told "you are the Master" and there are no slaves to talk to.

Sorry mispoke its 40amps, #8 on the turn dial.
Running off 60amp breaker.
I believe 6/2 Romex needs a 50amp breaker, thus supporting 40amps (80%). Romex can theoretically use a 55 amp breaker, but not available, so 50 amp is next size down. 60 amp breaker is above load rating of the 6/2 Romex so won't protect it properly. This may not be relevant to your current problem given that you've set the charger at 40amps, but suggest reducing the breaker size just to be safe.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
So its all fixed. And it was my own user error.

This is what it was when it was all set up- Dual Chargers, with a junction box and Polaris adapters to split off to each charger. It load shared a 50amp breaker, so 40amp or #8 dial. This is the PNW - so we get lots of rain.
1672612879569.png

So I figured I would take down the dual chargers, and set up a a charging stand right by the panel, and see if it connects.

If it does then I know its the wiring running to it outside, and if it doesnt, then I know if the chargers itself.

1672613147291.jpeg

I plugged them in, and still not working, so I figured it was the charger, but Everytime I havt attached the chargers It has been vertical, as it was already mounted. So never knew how the looseing/tighting worked. I was already confused as it felt "lefty loose" wass tightening it, when in fact I was wrong. You can see in the picture below that, where the wires are put in, it pulls it towards the front of the charger, not the back, so the whole time it was connected, it wasnt connected a lot - hence the overheating, and to a point there was no contact, and then it wouldnt work.

After noticing this and seeing that "plate" go down when turning left and when tightening it would raise up and close towards the front of the charger I knew it was wrong.

1672612801191.jpeg

After this, I attached the wires in the correct place, and it light up green an worked right away.

I took them back outside to origoanl setup, Cleaned up all the wires, with a wire brush, then trimmed them and and took time to ensure they were placed and tightened correctly. I turned the power back on and were back to status quo again. Load sharing 40amps.

1672613510423.jpeg

1672613614640.jpeg

1672613673756.jpeg

I appreciate all y'alls help, and glad it was all figured out, and now I can cancel the order for two new wall chargers.
-Andy

Attachments

• 1672612878161.png
    1672612878161.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 49