Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 wall connector -- can't find it on Tesla.com?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to get the gen 2 wall connector, to use a NEMA 14-50 outlet. But it's unclear on the Tesla.com shop if I am ordering the right one.

Here's what I'm looking for:
https://electrek.co/2019/01/15/tesla-wall-connector-nema-14-50-plug/

The link in the article resolves to a 404 error.

When I look here:
Charging

It's unclear if the wall charger supports NEMA 14-50 directly. The installation instructions don't reflect that.

Any insight will be great!

I don't believe that is considered a gen 2 charger, unless you mean a Tesla 14-50 specific charger. For instance, I have a Gen 2 charger I used with my Prius Plugin. It would be useful for a Nissan Leaf. It takes 30a-32a to a J1771 plug. Tesla sells a separate adapter to convert a J-1771 plug, native to Gen 2 chargers to fit the Tesla charge port. I bought an extra adapter and it is always on the end of the existing charger. The max amperage I have for charging is 24a but that gets about 22miles/hr of charge which is fine for my needs. No electrician necessary.
The original Tesla charger required an electrician to run, ideally a 60a line to the original charger in order to provide 48a to the car. For those people who have a NEMA 14-50 outlet already in their garage, this second gen Tesla charger plugs into that existing 14-50 outlet and provides 40a to the plug.

Do you have a preexisting NEMA 14-50 plug in your garage? The other advantage of the plug is that charger itself can come with you should you move.
There is not a huge difference in amperage supplied to the car between the 48a and 40a NEMA 14-50. If you have no outlet in the garage you can decide whether that additional 8a is significant.

Give Tesla a call directly. They could be back ordered...Although for all the homes we've owned, none had a 50a plug in the garage.

Im not sure we are saying the same thing. I was replying to the OP, but I am all set with charging personally. I was just mentioning that I have not seen a Tesla Wall connector, sold by Tesla directly, that has the pigtail Nema 14-50 installed as per the OPs link. The ones from Tesla seem to all be direct wired / connected, and do not include a 14-50 male power plug.

I have seen third party ones with those wired on, and have seen instructions for people to do that themselves, but not ones sold from tesla itself as a reply to the OPs question.

I havent seen a tesla wall connecter with a built in 14-50 from TESLA. I have seen a third party have one somewhere but not one directly from tesla.

Im not sure we are saying the same thing. I was replying to the OP, but I am all set with charging personally. I was just mentioning that I have not seen a Tesla Wall connector, sold by Tesla directly, that has the pigtail Nema 14-50 installed as per the OPs link. The ones from Tesla seem to all be direct wired / connected, and do not include a 14-50 male power plug.

I have seen third party ones with those wired on, and have seen instructions for people to do that themselves, but not ones sold from tesla itself as a reply to the OPs question.

They first showed up over a year ago:

Tesla offered them for sale last month and has since stopped selling them.