Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 cable too short

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the Gen1 and Gen2 units also had field replaceable cables. I wonder if a cable from a Gen1/2 unit could be used on a version 3. Might find a cable on Ebay from a failed Gen1/2 unit.

I'm sure that a Gen1/2 unit's cable would work(electrically). The concern I'd have is that the in-the-unit wiring is quite a bit shorter on the Gen3 than the Gen2(and probably Gen1, I haven't torn into one yet. For instance, the amount of wire between the end of the cable sheath and the ring terminals is about two inches, IIRC. On the Gen2, its around ten inches. You'd have to either cut the wire and re-add a ring terminal, or have 10" of wire just looping around inside the Gen3's case, and there's not really that much room in the case. It isn't THAT hard to add a ring terminal, but don't forget its moving 48 amps.

Additionally, and a slightly smaller problem, is that on a Gen2 the signaling wires are individually attached to a terminal strip. On the Gen3, they are installed in a four pin molex connector which then attaches to circuit board. The individual signaling wires also have the reverse problem. On Gen2, they are maybe three inches long. On a Gen3, they are probably around five or six inches. It wouldn't be hard to splice a molex connector in with a few extra inches of signaling wire.

Gen3 HPWC disassembly, with overheating issues explained! has some pictures of the innards of a Gen3, if you are interested.

And the biggest problem is actually price. Unless you get lucky, a 24' cord on Ebay will run around $300.