Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 HWPC Weird Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had this for about 6 months, installed professionally. All up to code as far as I can tell.

Yesterday I came home and was unable to use the button on the HPWC cable to open the door on my MS. Saw the lights like this, thought it was weird. I ended up toggling the breaker, joined the WiFi, no fault codes (I suspect they erase on power off?). This was yesterday, came out today and saw the lights doing this:

The manual talks about light codes, but unless I am not reading it right I am not sure these patterns match what's in the manual.

FWIW, not overly hot here, breaker and cable don't seem hot. I am fairly confident there are no install issues. Portable charger works fine. And I think after resetting the breaker yesterday it charged the car fine. Also I am unable to hold the button to get WiFi to turn back on. Not knowing any better seems to be in a boot/reset loop????

The firmware is 1.4.4 (0).

Thanks folks. Just a quick update, looks like it was a bad breaker. That's a little concerning to me as they rarely go bad. I opened up my panel and got nominal voltage reading on the breaker, so I just swapped to a new one and things seem to be working. Re-confirmed the torque on the HPWC and certainly correctly torqued the new breaker connections. It's been charging for a good 30 min and breaker does not feel hot at all. No signs of arc-ing on cable ends--which is what concerned me about the breaker dying early. Anyway, will report back if anything changes in case this is useful to others.

Just fyi, with large stranded cables, like 6 gauge on a 60A breaker, when connecting them to the breaker, you'll want to wiggle the wires back and forth, torque down the screws, wiggle them back and forth again, torque screws, and repeat until very snug. The stranded wire tends to flatten out as you wiggle and torque, so to get a good torque, the cable needs to be completely flattened out, which you can achieve by wiggling and tightening, wiggling and tightening. I found my breaker required more wiggling than my wall connector, which didn't require much wiggling at all.

• Helpful
Reactions: evfeh and Rocky_H