Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just got my gen3 wall charger installed today. It took a while because of the length of wiring that the electrician had to go through to get 240V to the garage. It is a game changer for me. After being on 3 miles per hour to 31 miles per hour, wow its amazing.
I do have unlimited supercharging but it’s a pain in these parts. You easily have to wait 15 mins for your turn then another 30-40 for charging. Having the wall charger is one less thing I need to think of and coordinate. Love it

P.S. While I was at it I had a second 240v outlet installed for the regular cord charger (gen2?). With the 240v adapter on it, it charges from 3 to 16 miles per hour. So Incase I get a second Tesla, I’m ready

Its a learning experience. I have since learned the unlimited supercharging is not as useful (to me) as I thought. The HPWC was largely out of stock in March so I had to contend with the mobile charger till then

the Gen3 charger Amps is adjustable. Try fiddling with the app.

For a 60amp circuit breaker the charger delivers only 48amps. through the App you can increase it, albeit perhaps beyond whats recommended. proceed with caution

the Gen3 charger Amps is adjustable.
Yes
Try fiddling with the app.
Not useful--you can't change the amps in the app.
For a 60amp circuit breaker the charger delivers only 48amps. through the App you can increase it,
No, you can't. The charging amps can only be managed on the screen in the car.
albeit perhaps beyond whats recommended. proceed with caution
HA! Uh, no, it certainly won't let you go above the max that is being signaled by the wall connector, so no fear of that.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I thought when you "commissioned" the charger you could also set the amp draw............ Is that not true ???
Oh, that. Yes, that is part of the initial set up process of the version3 wall connector. But that is a one time and done process, and you always select it for the max you have set up your circuit for. I think the question/suggestion was about dialing the amps up and down during the charging process, and that is something that the regular Tesla mobile app doesn't do.

Perhaps I did misunderstand which form of amp adjusting someone was talking about.

@z168 So I'm sorry if I misunderstood you and you were talking about the initial setup of the wall connector.

Is it possible to "commission" the charger multiple times ??

I have an application that requires a lesser amp draw in the Winter. I know I can turn it down from the car but I don't know if I have to do it every time I charge. If I could raise and lower the draw as needed for the connector it would be easier.

Hi @StanMI,

For your wondering about your lower Amp application seasonally,
When you set the Amps lower in the Car - It remembers that setting
at the location (with that charger) and will keep that setting until you
change it.
It will charge lower for problems...
To increase it after your are done - You have to set it higher.

Shawn