Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connectir Won’t Fully Insert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a new Gen 3 wall connector today. Install went well and it updated the firmware. When I plugged it into my Model Y it inserted effortlessly and charged at the full 48 amps (60 amp circuit).

When I plugged it into my 2017 Model S it kept saying “Charge cable not fully secured. Please adjust the connection to improve charging.” I tried over and over again and it still would say this. It’s relatively difficult to insert and remove but everything looks straight and lined up.

When I plugged in the mobile charger it worked fine in both cars. And I reconfirmed my Y had no issues charging via the wall connector.

Any ideas here? I tried turning off the power to the wall charger for a while and it didn’t help.

There is likely a piece of broken plastic from the mobile charger stuck on one of the pins in the charge port on your 2017. Look very closely and remove any debris.
I used qtips and a tiny brush to clean all around the charger in the S. The tips were all black after but it got a lot better.

unfortunately it still doesn’t seem to like the wall charger even though the other teslas do.