Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector Failure & No Warranty. Fixes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a gen 3 wall connector from someone off the forum. A month into using it I got the overheating errors and about a month later total failure. The connector relay will flip about 10 times in quick succession and then both the car and charger give up with red lights. Because I bought it on the forum and person couldn’t find their receipt, Tesla won’t honor the warranty. 100k car, won’t replace a $500 piece of flimsy plastic…

Anyway has anyone run into this and found a fix? I see some circuit board company’s offer a replacement for $200 but I have no idea if thats the issue. I don’t know if the unit was ever even actually overheating or just that bad batch that was giving false errors.

again, once I reset and hook up about 10 flips back and forth of relay and attempted startups and then gives up. I already bought a new one form Tesla and the problem is gone so I know it’s not something else. Would love to keep this one for future CT if possible.

Yes, the (part number)-F revision Gen 3 units have bad hardware in them that results in the overheating issue. You can read about a user's diagnosis and fix in this thread: Gen3 HPWC disassembly, with overheating issues explained!

This issue is also discussed in Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix, but up until the very late pages, the attempted fixes are all firmware updates that didn't really fix the issue (unsurprisingly, as it was a hardware problem), I believe. And then having Tesla eventually replace the units under warranty.

Almost assuredly the person you bought the unit from originally purchased it with a credit card, it shouldn't be too hard for them to get a copy of their receipt from the credit card company. If you can get that from them, it might be enough to get Tesla to replace it for you under the warranty.