Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen-3 Wall Connector (location of the cable terminals)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the notion of transplanting a 24-foot cable from a gen-2 wall connector to a gen-3, but I wanted to make sure that the terminals for all seven wires connect to the same places (approximately). On my "donor" gen-2, the two "hot" cables have the longest pigtails (connecting near the top of the circuit board), the ground connects near the bottom, and the four control/signal wires are shortest of all (similar to what is shown here). If someone can confirm that the gen-3's have a similar layout, I might have the best of both worlds (the latest charger with the longest cable).

I had the notion of transplanting a 24-foot cable from a gen-2 wall connector to a gen-3, but I wanted to make sure that the terminals for all seven wires connect to the same places (approximately). On my "donor" gen-2, the two "hot" cables have the longest pigtails (connecting near the top of the circuit board), the ground connects near the bottom, and the four control/signal wires are shortest of all (similar to what is shown here). If someone can confirm that the gen-3's have a similar layout, I might have the best of both worlds (the latest charger with the longest cable).

I would think you could just strip off more of the outer jacket of the cable if that was the only issue, but maybe the end is sealed or there is some other issue with doing that. I assume 2 of the smaller wires are for temperature monitoring of the cable, and the specific way that is done may not be the same for both gen2 and gen3. Does the gen2 still work?