Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 4 charger rumors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any rumors of a Gen 4 wall charger?
I have not heard any such rumors. I also don't expect a new Wall Connector for a while since Gen3 is relatively new and they've just got the initial problems resolved.

However, if the Cybertruck has high current charging capability above the 48A allowed by the Gen3 Wall Connector, they might release a CT styled unit that has capabilities similar to the Gen2 Wall Connector that could deliver 80A from a 100A circuit.

I have not heard any such rumors. I also don't expect a new Wall Connector for a while since Gen3 is relatively new and they've just got the initial problems resolved.

However, if the Cybertruck has high current charging capability above the 48A allowed by the Gen3 Wall Connector, they might release a CT styled unit that has capabilities similar to the Gen2 Wall Connector that could deliver 80A from a 100A circuit.
My goal is to have up to 5 charging stations in my garage, all from a single 100 amp subpanel. So the ability to have the Gen 3's talk to each other is critical. I wonder if they could be made to work with 5, rather than just 4? :)

My goal is to have up to 5 charging stations in my garage, all from a single 100 amp subpanel. So the ability to have the Gen 3's talk to each other is critical. I wonder if they could be made to work with 5, rather than just 4? :)
Right now? No. I think you may have to split this up into two circuits for now, so you can divide that up some, like 2 and 3.
According to the installation manual, up to 16 Gen 3 Wall Connectors can share power.
HA! Um, yeah--and it said that lie for well over a year before they finally created the firmware to enable ANY sharing, because they started shipping a pathetically unfinished product. What they have now only supports 4.
Cool, for some reason I thought I read only up to 4. I only need 5 to share on the single 100amp subpanel.
Yes, what you read is from the actual firmware they finally made available for download and people's experience setting it up and using it. 4 is all you can get right now.

• Informative
Reactions: Genie
Right now? No. I think you may have to split this up into two circuits for now, so you can divide that up some, like 2 and 3.

HA! Um, yeah--and it said that lie for well over a year before they finally created the firmware to enable ANY sharing, because they started shipping a pathetically unfinished product. What they have now only supports 4.

Yes, what you read is from the actual firmware they finally made available for download and people's experience setting it up and using it. 4 is all you can get right now.
Four now, but maybe add more later?

I wonder how many homes can accommodate a new 100A circuit. I had to do some shuffling to allow for a 60A circuit.

I don’t see why higher than 48a is needed. It’s also not recommended from what I have read to charge consistently at 48a. If the new cells are used it means more power with a smaller pack. In any case even a pack 100kw or larger would not need faster home charging.

In my Y I have never needed to charge more than 4h at home over night using 32a. Usually after returning from trip.

I wonder how many homes can accommodate a new 100A circuit. I had to do some shuffling to allow for a 60A circuit.
I had an electrician come out yesterday to look at my setup. Told him I wanted permits. He is going to look at maybe driving a 200 amp
subpanel into my garage. And they we would wire up 5 60 amp circuits from that. Will see if we can get approval to put the ends into boxes. If not, guess I would need to buy 5 gen 3 charges. In life, either go big, or go home. Since if for some reason I draw more than 200 amps, the gateway will open, but he will see what code will allow is to get away with.

haha, yeah, I looked for a new installation manual but it hasn't been updated since Jan 2020, long before the actual firmware for power sharing was available. Good to know that 4 stations is the actual number supported today.

So, I maybe buying a model y, so time to look at wall charges. So whats the current rumor state of a home Gen 4 charger?

Based on what you have said in the past, unless your views have changed 180 degrees, I think that would be a mistake. Im not trying to drag that discussion back out, just to say that I dont think it would be a good idea unless something has made you change your views pretty drastically.

I still havent read anything about gen 4 chargers either. Since Tesla can firmware update the Gen 3s over wifi, there wouldnt be much reason for them to have a gen 4 unless they decide to enable something like V2H which they have given no indication of doing.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Based on what you have said in the past, unless your views have changed 180 degrees, I think that would be a mistake. Im not trying to drag that discussion back out, just to say that I dont think it would be a good idea unless something has made you change your views pretty drastically.

I still havent read anything about gen 4 chargers either. Since Tesla can firmware update the Gen 3s over wifi, there wouldnt be much reason for them to have a gen 4 unless they decide to enable something like V2H which they have given no indication of doing.
Yep things have changed in my life. :)

I never say never

So Tesla's new China CyberVault.

Is a mobile connector in a box, just at a cheaper price to the wall connector.
(Very similar to what Porsche does)

20230403_193154.jpg

So the wait goes on for something new.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I am not believing ANY "product annoucements" made anytime between March 31s and April 2nd. This fits that description so even if its a real product (which I have doubts on), come back and talk about it in a week or so when its proven to be a real product.

(note, I absolutely detest april 1st fake "stuff", most of it isnt even funny, and a waste of time).