Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting ready to sell my 2018 white on black X 100D w/ 53K miles. 6 seats, MCU2, and official CCS retrofit. What kind of range should I expect? I'm in California if that helps.
Considering a brand new X is $72.5K after the federal rebate, used values have dropped. Best to do research on what they actually sell for in auctions, perhaps get Tesla to give you a trade-in quote (automated), there is also Carvana, and few others you can get a quote from by just filling out a form online and taking pictures. I would also submit it on KBB for dealers to send you offers, see what you can get.

I sold both my Teslas earlier this year, as their values were dropping with new car discounts, so I went through the above process. If I was to guess, trade-in value for your car ~$30K, maybe less in markets flooded with Teslas. Selling privately you can get $5-10K more, but you lose any trade-in tax credits (if available in your state), and private sales take time and patience (and some additional risk). My experience is Tesla trade-in estimate +$10K is a good private sale base value. I tried selling one of my Model S privately, ended up selling it to a used car dealer, who took over 3 months to sell IIRC (it could have been 4 months). During those months Tesla discounted their 3/Y which resulted in a flood of traded in S/X, so the dealer had my car listed last barely above what they paid me for it - I was glad I sold it to them when I did. I actually raced to take their earlier offer after I heard from another dealer of a flood of Teslas showing up on dealer auctions from Tesla, I presume trade-ins for newly discounted new Teslas. The dealer who told me about it at that time just bought 250 Teslas from the auction, so they didn't even want mine on trade, even if I bought a new car from them.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vinc
Not the issue in my case. My 6 seater X LR was $91k 4 years ago, which is a few $k more than today. The new platform has pushed the value of older X quite a bit down.
The rebate qualification only on base makes the 6-seater a $14K option. Unfortunately most options on cars depreciate to almost nothing in ~5 years (see how lease residuals are calculated, or black book values). $72,5K based Model X price is absolutely driving a 4 year old 6 seater price down. Yes there will be some people who must have 6 seats, but that will drive which cars they will consider, not make them be willing to pay many thousands more.

Out of curiosity I punched in 2019 Model X 100D into KBB resale value calculator. They didn't even have 6 seat as an option to enter, meaning it is probably not really significant of a factor. Third row seating added $800 on their estimated values. Presuming it's the 7 seat option, 6 seat options costs a little less than twice, so maybe $1,500 value on a 2019 car? Could you find that one buyer who is willing to pay more because you have the exact car they want, sure, but it's hard, even for dealers.

Last edited:
Anybody know what the trade in and private party values are for a 2022 plaid, without any options and ~20k miles? Kbb doesn't have enough info to show estimates.
Go through the "get cash offers" on KBB, it's free, you have to upload some info and pictures, will tell you what the dealers are offering in your area. Be prepared for a reality check though, we all tend to value our cars much higher than the market does.

Go through the "get cash offers" on KBB, it's free, you have to upload some info and pictures, will tell you what the dealers are offering in your area. Be prepared for a reality check though, we all tend to value our cars much higher than the market does.
Will give it a shot, thanks. And I get what you are saying about the reality check, from browsing the model s for sale threads, there are a lot of private sale cars listed on there that are way higher than what I'm seeing for sale at dealerships.

Reactions: whitex
Will give it a shot, thanks. And I get what you are saying about the reality check, from browsing the model s for sale threads, there are a lot of private sale cars listed on there that are way higher than what I'm seeing for sale at dealerships.
I actually sold a car through that about a year ago. I collected all the offers, then picked the highest one and negotiated it up (had to actually go to the dealer for them to see it in person). I also compared it against carvana, vroom, etc. The range was quite large too - lowest offer was 30% lower than the one I took, in other words the highest offer got me almost one and half times the money of the lowest one. Selling a car is work.

Reactions: nonStopSwagger